Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Land Cruiser II LX 2.7

Reid

Country Flag
canada
Hi there,
I'm looking to buy my first Land Cruiser - a II LX 2.7 registered in 1991 - 70 series I believe...
Its got 130,000 miles and a 2700cc engine - looks to be in good condition by the pics. I'm not really a car guy but I've always wanted a Land Cruiser. Now that we live in Malaysia and get out into the jungle with the family every few weeks, I thought this vehicle (selling at a good price(?) - $3000) may do the trick.
I would very much appreciate any information regarding this model and any suggestions as to what I might ask the seller.
Thanks very much for your help!

Hi there Reid, welcome to the forum. I don't suppose you have a link to any pictures? I've never heard of a 2.7 motor... 2.4, 2.8 and 3.0 in the landcruiser II but they're all diesel... is it a petrol? Generally the place to look for rust on the light duty 70 series is behind the rear arches in the floor and quarter panels. If it's clean there it's probably clean everywhere else too. Beyond that I can't help much really without knowing more about it.

Jim.

Welcome. :icon-biggrin:

I think the 2.7 unit is a petrol one. It was offered on some models of the 90 series too IIRC.

Diesel

Hi there Reid, welcome to the forum. I don't suppose you have a link to any pictures? I've never heard of a 2.7 motor... 2.4, 2.8 and 3.0 in the landcruiser II but they're all diesel... is it a petrol? Generally the place to look for rust on the light duty 70 series is behind the rear arches in the floor and quarter panels. If it's clean there it's probably clean everywhere else too. Beyond that I can't help much really without knowing more about it.

Jim.

Hi there, and thanks very much for your replies. Apparently the engine is a diesel - which, assuming it is a 2.8 seems a bit small...? Do you think it will be terribly under powered?

The 2.4 is underpowered, the 3.0 is a great improvement, so if its a 2.8 turbo diesel it should be ok.

Would be interested in some photos, didnt know there was a 2.8 option for the J series - guess it wont be an LJ (2.4) or KZJ (3.0)

Pete

It could be a 2.8 diesel if someone has transplanted an NA 2.8 litre 3L in, as that may fit in lieu of a 2L...

Otherwise I thought it might have been the 2.7 4 cylinder that's used in the Hi Lux and the RZJ95.. according to Wikipedia there was a 3RZ-FE engined 70 series, so this could be the most likely possibility.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I seem to remember somewhere along the line a sub 3 litre 5 cylinder diesel in a 70 series which was on ebay a while ago being discussed on here. perhaps its one of those?

Andy

I've heard of a 2.8 n/a Toyota engine before but theres not much information about them. I remember them being very strong engine with a steel head. Easy to add a turbo as well to get more power out of them

^^ What he said. The 3L code 2.8 NA 5 pot was fitted to some light duty 70's, I believe the 73 series got it in Europe and perhaps a few other models.

3L's are OK, but nothing special. Used in a lot of the HiLux's and 4Runners over here, but they suffer some of the same problems as the 2L does. They do take a turbo well (DTS kits are about $2k over here in Aus) which makes them usable!

Big slow and steady lump...

Back