Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota TPMS and a Realtek RTL2832 based DVB dongle

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I thought this might be of interest to some of you have the Toyota Tyre Pressure Monitoring System in their cars which should be all of them after around the end of 2012 from a quick google.
If you can get a Realtek RTL2832 and have a raspberry pi laying around not doing anything then you can use the 2 to get the TPMS values from the car.

Its relatively simple to get going but I guess you need to be familiar with Linux and be able to compile the code to get it working, there is no prity GUI but it is interesting to see.

Once you have the RPI up and running and your RTL dongle plugged in you can get the rtl_433 code from github here https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433, follow the instructions on how to install it and then run the following command
Code:
rtl_433 -F json -q -I 2 -R 88
This will print out the TPMS PSI and Temperature of each of the sensors, something like this
Code:
rtl_433 -F json -q -I 2 -R 88
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Exact sample rate is: 250000.000414 Hz
Sample rate set to 250000.
Bit detection level set to 0 (Auto).
Tuner gain set to Auto.
Tuned to 433920000 Hz.
{"time" : "2018-06-06 15:37:29", "model" : "Toyota", "type" : "TPMS", "id" : "f0c537b3", "status" : 128, "pressure_PSI" : 39.500, "temperature_C" : 34.000, "mic" : "CRC"}
{"time" : "2018-06-06 15:37:50", "model" : "Toyota", "type" : "TPMS", "id" : "f0c537dd", "status" : 128, "pressure_PSI" : 39.250, "temperature_C" : 34.000, "mic" : "CRC"}
{"time" : "2018-06-06 15:37:55", "model" : "Toyota", "type" : "TPMS", "id" : "f0c537a4", "status" : 128, "pressure_PSI" : 40.000, "temperature_C" : 35.000, "mic" : "CRC"}
{"time" : "2018-06-06 15:37:56", "model" : "Toyota", "type" : "TPMS", "id" : "f0c537b1", "status" : 128, "pressure_PSI" : 39.750, "temperature_C" : 36.000, "mic" : "CRC"}
{"time" : "2018-06-06 15:38:15", "model" : "Toyota", "type" : "TPMS", "id" : "f0c5f368", "status" : 128, "pressure_PSI" : 33.000, "temperature_C" : 27.000, "mic" : "CRC"}

A big thanks to the guys who figured all this out as its fun to see how much the PSI changes when the temperature changes and it confirms that all 5 sensors are in a working order.

Cheers
Hamba

Interesting. It would be great to retrofit the system with the internal sensors to older vehicles.

I am thinking of making something that I can use as well but then there are other TPMS systems out there that are a lot less of a hassle to fit.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Toyota sensors are stupidly expensive as well.

Yes, I had a look and realised there was probably a better/easier/cheaper way. Steelmate do an internal system that displays on a reversing camera or double din head unit. They also do one that fits on the valves which I already have but haven’t got round to fitting.

Those steelmate sensors looks good, the are also running over the 433MHz frequency so there is a good chance that the rtl_433 could pick it up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi All, I am thinking of a slightly different usage of the Raspberry Pi and the Realtek RTL2832. I shall use it to replace the Inbuilt navigation screen in my LC5 when it fails. Coding it to provide Radio / TV OBDII monitoring reversing camera ,plus inbuilt navigation will be challenging though..

Good luck with that MD, I’d be very interested to see how it goes. My programming stops at PLCs I’m afraid. I’ve not ventured into Arduino or Raspberry PI territory.

Hi All, I am thinking of a slightly different usage of the Raspberry Pi and the Realtek RTL2832. I shall use it to replace the Inbuilt navigation screen in my LC5 when it fails. Coding it to provide Radio / TV OBDII monitoring reversing camera ,plus inbuilt navigation will be challenging though..

Radio is easy, gps is also easy. Obd, are you sure your truck has obd2 in the first place? Iirc is only in 2008+ 120's. Don't know anything about tv. The display should be fairly simple with v4l, and there must be something you can anyway use by way of tuner.

Should be straightforward with some planning I thought all 120 LC5's had OBDII protocols Mine is an early 2007. I shall recheck. you are indeed correct Radio is easy using SDR software , There are many GPS modules on the market the only problem being the drivers the work with Linux . You can now Purchase a 7" touch screen for the Raspberry Pie.. Or the easiest route if you google it ..Some Chinese sweat shop is producing a radio with a 10" screen especially for the LC5 with the Integrated Temp controls for about £ 600.

Back