Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TPA800 parking sensors

Update, went out to lunch yesterday and through a narrow entrance with a tight turn by a post, front sensors kicked in, which had previously stopped working. When home I went close to gate, still working.
rears, not working on purchase over last couple of days have been getting one long beep on selecting reverse, then nothing. I have changed towball to ball and pin since purchase and added a twin step, so more bulk there, which may have confused the sensors, but I don't think so, as the continuous tone would be there all the time, as if against a wall. I am now thinking that black Cobra controller in rear, as having issues with front and rear. Have not tried the 're programming yet Karl as thought it all magically coming back on line, will monitor and get back. That little push button with light is gree, Btw

Thanks for the update - at least its half working! :)

Can you 'feel' power to any of the sensors at the back if you put it in reverse? If not, I wonder if the fuse has gone on the rear half?

You're getting a beep when you select reverse, so the connection the reversing light must be good!

These TPA800s are probably more trouble than they're worth; I think the right thing as you say is to just put a new one in, probably be better anyway. I'm just curious as to why it doesn't work - I park it by feel anyway :)

I wonder if the new system sensors are the same dimensions as the old?

Nothing further on that Karl, kind let it go temporarily. While weather still good been trying to finish of underneath, fit a 3 piece underbody guard which I am struggling with, and replacing front disc backplates, which are completely rotted out, holes, bits missing. I think an iffy mot as was done only 2 months before I got it. Shoulda paid more attention when buying, but what's that saying ?, - never buy a vehicle when it's raining or dark. Good job it was only raining !

All investigations have currently stopped on my end too - waiting for a new button/light to arrive!

Shoulda paid more attention when buying, but what's that saying ?, - never buy a vehicle when it's raining or dark. Good job it was only raining !
:grinning:

I know its an old post but can someone please confirm wiring connections of front switch, the one with LED ( I mean inside the switch, which wires it shorts when button is pushed).
Reason is mine is missing and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. It seems a simple enough switch without any electronic circuit so I'm trying to DIY my own switch.
I know it has three wires, one to chassis ground, and two in a connector that goes in normal connector. The same connector also goes to single programming wire when needed so my guess is that the switch grounds the programming wire when pushed and similarly grounds one of the wires in normal two pin connector for disabling front sensors. The other wire should be signal to power LED.
I just want to be sure before testing. Dont want to end up with a blown ECU.

Are they definitely daisychained? I haven't seen the wiring but from the installation diagrams it looks like each sensor has its own two wires?
They're daisychained. I took them off and binned them back in 2008.
They used to drive me nuts in close slow moving traffic.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1. When I had my rear bumper off, mine were daisychained too.
Now permanently switched off, along with fronts chopped.
Found them unreliable and beeping for nothing.

I know its an old post but can someone please confirm wiring connections of front switch, the one with LED ( I mean inside the switch, which wires it shorts when button is pushed).
Reason is mine is missing and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. It seems a simple enough switch without any electronic circuit so I'm trying to DIY my own switch.
I know it has three wires, one to chassis ground, and two in a connector that goes in normal connector. The same connector also goes to single programming wire when needed so my guess is that the switch grounds the programming wire when pushed and similarly grounds one of the wires in normal two pin connector for disabling front sensors. The other wire should be signal to power LED.
I just want to be sure before testing. Dont want to end up with a blown ECU.
I think I might have a spare switch somewhere if you need it

Look what I found !

So there's only two wires on it. I seem to remember if you want to program it, you unplug that from its usual connector and plug it into another (normally hidden) one.

What exactly have you got at your end and how did you end up with no button? I think ive got most spares for the tpa800 as i was going to try and fix mine, before i decided life was too short!

Attachments

• 20240215_205331.jpg
    20240215_205331.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240215_205343.jpg
    20240215_205343.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 6
On the basis of a 2 min check, pressing that button pulls grey wire to ground.

Cant see anything obvious that the green wire does - maybe it powers the light in the middle, but thats a guess

Is it something to do with shutting front sensors off temporarily ?
IIRC, pressing the button twice or holding it down until the light goes off (guessing now, memory old like me) with ignition/vehicle on/running, temporarily shuts the sensors off until ignition/engine switched off. Next time ignition/engine on it reverts back to normal unless same procedure carried out, whereas rears can be permanently switched off. Mad innit ?

Look what I found !

So there's only two wires on it. I seem to remember if you want to program it, you unplug that from its usual connector and plug it into another (normally hidden) one.

What exactly have you got at your end and how did you end up with no button? I think ive got most spares for the tpa800 as i was going to try and fix mine, before i decided life was too short!
Thank you.. that's the one I was looking for.. from documentation, besides the two pin connector it should also have a ring terminal for grounding.
I bought mine used and it had tpa800 already installed albeit with missing bits. This button is completely missing. the connector are left hanging in passenger side trim. So now I have an obsession to get it in working order. Not really interested in an aftermarket solution but since its already installed I want to get it working.
I'm looking to make a DIY switch with an LED and a push button. As i understand, push button should ground one of wires in connector (which you mentioned as gray one) and other should be for powering LED.

If you have some time, can you please pull the sleeve back from button and post some closeup pics. I want to have a look at how switch is wired internally. And if you have a multimeter, a resistance check of these two wires with ground and with each other with/without button pressed would be nice.

Have you thought about why it's disconnected/removed ?
It might be because like others on here, we found the system/sensors a nuisance/unreliable.

Hello, i did the check with the multimeter and pulling that one wire to ground was the only thing that happened when the button was pressed. Without the button pressed in, no action on any wire.

Its a spare on my shelf, if you want it just PM me your address but it will be a week before i can send it. Dont want any £ just please update with your findings!

Have you thought about why it's disconnected/removed ?
It might be because like others on here, we found the system/sensors a nuisance/unreliable.
maybe, but I've got the itch to get it working :cool:

Hello, i did the check with the multimeter and pulling that one wire to ground was the only thing that happened when the button was pressed. Without the button pressed in, no action on any wire.

Its a spare on my shelf, if you want it just PM me your address but it will be a week before i can send it. Dont want any £ just please update with your findings!

Thank you for the offer. I'll try the DIY route and see how it goes.. If not will look for a backup.. Dont want to bother you with Int'l shipping

No problem, the offer is there if you need it. Please keep us all updated on your progress!

Fair comment, but with these the itch to get it working could involve more work than they're worth, i.e. bumpers off to get at/replace any sensors, and having had mine off, nuts, bolts and brackets were rusted/rotted beyond use which involved more parts and plenty of time.
Negative comments maybe, but just giving you the fuller picture having been there.
As Karl says, please keep us updated with any progress.

Sure. I'm aware of the potential bumper/sensors issue and believe most probably some sensors are shot as I get a long warning beep at startup which I'm trying to diagnose which requires this missing switch but I'm hopeful. Will give it a shot this weekend.

Yep, the long warning beep when turning ignition on says a lot - had it on mine.
Karl has a good tip for non invasive test of sensors when you get it together.

Back