Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TrackExplorer v2 available

had a quick play with this again

but cannot seem to be able to open gpx files, the browser doesnt "see" any of the .gpx files in the folder i navigated to...

what happens if you type *.gpx into where the file name should go in the dialog and press enter? Not how it should be but may work till I can do another update.

ta Jon - that workaround works, got the gpx in

ok, new version coming soon and that'll be fixed.

Can I book a TrackExplorer tutorial session with you for tomorrow Jon?? Oh, if you have an update ready perhaps you can fetch it along too!!! :shifty:

I should think there will be time for that, I can drink and point at a screen at the same time :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have updated Track Explorer to version 2.22 and updated the link in the first post. There are bug fixes and support for Garmin USB GPS devices if you set the com port to 99. In case you haven't found it, here's a couple of screen shots of it in touch screen interface mode to use in your vehicle:

te-touch-1.jpg

te-touch-2.jpg

All the little camera icons are where I took photos when I used to go green laning (1000's). This interface is the main thing I miss if I try commercial mapping software like Memory Map etc they just seem like hard work to use in the truck where I want big buttons and a clear display.

Looks good Jon! :clap:
I mite have a play with it once the current 200 file batch process running on my PC stops (in about a month:lol:) it'd save me one step of map processing compared to converting to MM. I thought the old wayfinder thing was defunct when it all migrated to Trailwise, bet that's a long story tho!

can you add text notes to the overlay/tracks?

You can add notes to the tracks / overlays, set them to different colours and line thickness, different icons, something I relied on for storing notes about lanes and easily seeing the status of them. TE is also quite good at managing a lot of overlay data so having thousands of tracks loaded is not a problem.

Wayfinder is dead Jon, company was dissolved in 2006, think it was all migrated onto Trailwise.

Wayfinder is dead Jon, company was dissolved in 2006, think it was all migrated onto Trailwise.
It's a bit more complicated than that but not something I use anymore anyway - that's functionality I wrote about 12-14 years ago when I still did a lot of green laning and the commercial digital mapping options were pretty expensive and not all that good. Trailwise would have been pretty easy to support as well but I don't think that would have gone down very well with them.

I dunno, the whole database is exportable now, there was posative muttering towards someone adding it's features to an app or something not long ago.

Have you thought about making TE shareware or something? Seems there's loads of people crying out for something similar to MM without the cost of the mapping, with a short article and links on some of the bigger facebook groups I'm sure you'd get a whole new user base in short order, GLASS has had a membership spike over the last 12-18 months too.

Integrate it with Wikiloc or something and everyone who detests the secret squrrel nature of route sharing in UK laning would jump at it :thumbup:

TE is already free no need to make it shareware :) I did look at the Trailwise data interface and it would have been pretty straight forward to have added it into TE but there is some 'history' between me and GLASS so I left it alone to save causing more trouble :grin:

I'm not trying to push TE and gain a user base these days, just offering up what I have in case it's useful to someone else, same as I do with e.g. workshop manuals or advice on here :)

Re GLASS say no more, I have some thoughts too, but that's a campfire conversation :think: There's some 'new blood' coming in, we live in hope :lol:
Very comendable giving it away, I love that philosophy :clap: Would you mind if I point some Northants lads at it? I'm trying to get more people willing to lead laning groups, I'm sure the costs of GPS mapping put a lot of people off, often we get 20+ trucks wanting to come on a laning trips but it's difficult sometimes to get enough leaders.

It's free for anyone, even Northants lads :grinning: The free OS maps are good quality but don't include minor rights of way e.g. BOAT's but if someone marked a route using their MemoryMap qct files they could just follow that without needing qct files themselves. TE is Windows only so they'll need a windows laptop or tablet to use it.

Good show, cheers Jon:thumbup:
The free OS maps are good quality but don't include minor rights of way e.g. BOAT's

I noticed that from your screenshot example above, looks like Strata area.
It's been an education all this mapping malarkey, if I'd known about the free map conversion issues with MM earlier I'd probably have gone for something else, noticed MOBAC also does ViewRanger format atlases, still at least I've cracked it now, and still got OS Landranger which is real useful for laning trip planning, I still find ROWs that arn't on Trailwise with it.

I have updated Track Explorer to version 2.26 and updated the link in the first post. The previous version was a year old I just hadn't got round to bundling up the latest version into an install package till now.

Probably the most noticeable update is that the installer will put a shortcut to the touch screen friendly version on the desktop instead of hiding it in the program folder but there are other feature updates and bug fixes compared to the previous version that I think are worth having.

Back