Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trailer Insurance

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
For the first time, I am in need of trailer insurance. Never really contemplated this before, so I idly typed "trailer insurance" into Gurgle.

I never expected that level of reply. There are even companies called Trailer Insurance dot whatever.

So, anyone got any good experience of trailer insurance providers? I haven't a clue what I'd expect to pay. The cover would need to extend outside of UK for leisure use.

Suggestions welcome as long as they're based on experiences.

I use these guys Chris, www.datatagtrailer.co.uk/ admittedly never had to ask about outside UK use but I found them to be most helpful on the phone on my initial enquires. Might be a useful for a first line of enquiry.

I use the NFU all trailers covered for commercial use, not a clue what it costs though, sorry

Your NFU insurance certainly did sound good when it came to paying out David. Might give them a shout. Plus the one Trev mentioned and the usual search result names.

wait for it.......my trailers have their own reg no being 750kg and above (1100kg and 900kg loads) - one is the trailer we use for towing mowers around - the other is new camping trailer ...........the mower tower is 'linked' to our van and the camper is 'linked' to the yota......however, we can use the other vehicles to tow the other trailers, but the 'contents' wont be insured...........wtf..........but the mowers are insured individually, and the camper contents will only be insured under the 4x4 insurance unless we up the contents of the van to 3k€! I wish I was back in the UK when it comes to crap like this!

Mine are insured with NFU too, they just tag it onto my policy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Holy Cow. First quote £407 For a frickin' trailer?

Need to shop around I think. I reckon if I called it a caravan it'd be cheaper.

Surely it's a trailer tent Chris I am sure they aren't that expensive

Holy Cow. First quote £407 For a frickin' trailer?

Need to shop around I think. I reckon if I called it a caravan it'd be cheaper.
it will all depend on what you are carrying, my sprayer I transport is worth over 40k

Stu, it's not a trailer tent. No. Just sticking a tent on the roof does not make it a trailer tent. It's a trailer WITH a tent. If you think about the T Top Xclusive tent, they're like £2400 new. Fridge, a grand. 1500 pure sine inverter, DC/DC charger. Then the trailer and contents. By the time you've done it's the value of a car. Thing is it doesn't have the driving profile of a car but what it does have is high steal appeal. That's what is weighting it. I am sure I can get cheaper somewhere. Certainly going to give NFU a go. It's a camping trailer really. I might be able to cover some bits on my house insurance to get the value down on the basic trailer. But I only pay £300 and something for the Cruiser!!

Theft is is about your only concern when it comes to a trailer and if it goes everything in it or on it is gone too , so why not call it a custom made folding camper and agree a lump sum value . A new trailer tent or "folding camper" as they prefer to call them nowadays goes for about 12k .

Thats the reason that neither of my trailers are insured in their own right. (8x4 twin axle steel - built to survive doomsday, and a 12x6 factory Indespension low loader) Insurance companies wanted more than I pay for the truck to insure them. They are covered for 3rd party damage once attached to my truck, but nothing else. In Ireland, trailers are harder to keep than your dignity at a karaoke night, what with the export craze, theft is a serious problem. Its different i suppose for your trailer, as you will likely end up places like Spain, where insurance is mandatory. Frustrating.

And that Shayne, is how I ended up with a quote for £407 I'm afraid. It's only the first one. I'll try later in the week. I have thought about a post concreted in and a hitch lock on the top. That would slow them down. I live in a quiet and almost crime free area actually. It's nice. But there are always opportunities. Courier drivers who might spot it, word of mouth, you know the sorts of things. Anything other than a ninja would set the dog off so cutting through a post would certainly do that. If I can lock the brake on that would help. It's immovable when that's set. But insurance is something I'd be daft not to consider. I'd also Datatag it or something

A tracker would be a good consideration too with those values Chris.

Have a go with these guys - they list trailer tents and trailers as coverable under their policies and are probably going to be more understanding than a lot of the other options.

Yep, they're already on my list.

Trev, when I said Datatag or something, the something was Tracker really. In my view, no one would nick a trailer to break it for parts. They do that with cars. So being able to track it would be highly advantageous I think. You'd pretty much guarantee to get it back I think.

Chris
my Ivor Williams Tilt Bed costs me £54 a year value 4.5K with the NFU

Been out all day today so not been able to ring anyone. NFU top of the list at present.

Who did you end up with Chris? I might have one of these parked in my drive soon.

Errm, ooh, Can't recall, but I'll get our Lass onto it. It was really cheap. Took ages to find someone who understood what we were trying to insure. Took some perseverance.

Back