Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transformer overland camper

Fascinating chap. Been a while since I watched it but I seem to remember him saying that he didn’t get on with Engel so he built his own. Built his own fridge.

Yes. he has built a centre console fridge. great build.the fact its de mountable is even better.

I’ve had this Californian demountable on my watch list for a while. Not for me, but it looks like good value and I’m into the functional, austere interior.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232968826167

Would look something like this.

four_wheel_fleet_flatbed_toyota_tacoma_overland_vehicle_popup_camper_xp.jpg

The beauty of the 80 is that you could just chop the rear body and either make a custom camper body or get a demountable to fit.

I may consider it one day.

Of course, its always a balance between creature comforts and overal size. If you want to explore small tracks with overhanging branches, anything large is going to be difficult.

I am seriously considering chopping the back of the 80 off and building something just for more space rather than a camper. Travelling for a month or more with with a wife, dog and child means the 80 simply doesn't have enough space and I don't really want a trailer if I can help it. Like Chris said earlier, I like the outdoor living. If I wanted indoor living space the 80 platform would be too small for me and my troop.

Some pictures I've been collecting as proof of concept include...

Whilst this first one is a single cab camper, I've included it as the overall dimensions and shape of the back are the best I've seen.
IMG_6761.JPG

Another camper but good example of dimensions and shape that suit the 80
IMG_7065.JPG

This is more like what I would aim for, just with the canopy shape more in line with the two above rather than standard flat-back box.
IMG_7066.JPG
IMG_7067.JPG

And this is how it would all start...
IMG_7106.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some of those have Merit Lorin.

We were just on the road to Murmansk in traffic but doing about 65 mph when something similar to the top picture came past us - on German plates. It wasn't hanging about so not sure what engine he'd got in it. It was pretty much only the overland vehicle that we saw other than your convoy.

My concerns have always been that it would / might compromise speed and handling which would be a drag, but clearly he wasn't hampered. But would he have managed to get where we all did?

Probably already seen, but for those with deep pockets (and long arms):

Trouble with the majority of those camper/box conversion is they put all the weight on or behind the rear axle. Not a good idea if you doing a lot of Offroad.

Saw a pickup with camper body on a piste near Algeria a couple of days ago. The pop top bit over the cab was moving up and down by about 6 inches every bump, none of us thought it would last to the end of the day without major damage

The beauty of the 80 is that you could just chop the rear body and either make a custom camper body or get a demountable to fit.

I may consider it one day.

Of course, its always a balance between creature comforts and overal size. If you want to explore small tracks with overhanging branches, anything large is going to be difficult.
I agree. its also a personal thing. one persons ideal set up is anothers worst nightmare.
on my own, im more than happy to just kip in the back of the 80..
yes, its very easy to make the 80 into a chassis cab.

Hi

I have been thinking a lot about getting a GAZELL TOURING… http://sbsadventurecampers.com/wp/gazell-touring/, fitted to a Hilux. This for me would be the perfect all year round touring setup. This would have been perfect for me on the Norway trip. Wouldn't have needed to stay in any hotels or Huts.

Anyone have any experience of these, if so what are your thoughts them?

Gary

Personally i think a camper conversion is always going to be a compromise , as in your going to avoid off road extremes (as you probably should on any long distance trip anyway) so there's no real advantage of solid axle . More modern IFS tend to be wider vehicles body/roof wise so ..............

Hi

I have been thinking a lot about getting a GAZELL TOURING… http://sbsadventurecampers.com/wp/gazell-touring/, fitted to a Hilux. This for me would be the perfect all year round touring setup. This would have been perfect for me on the Norway trip. Wouldn't have needed to stay in any hotels or Huts.

Anyone have any experience of these, if so what are your thoughts them?

Gary

Hi Gary, I was looking at those a couple of months ago. Not in a position to buy one now and one wouldn't be practical at the moment, but they do seem to tick a lot of boxes. The low profile is very cool. I'm a long way from Bournemouth so weren't able to view one at the time. The only negative thing I heard about them was that they're made somewhere in Eastern Europe which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't think the makers were very open about it.

The Aero One from Poland (www.camperhit.pl) is super light but it doesn't look very aero to me.

Ahhh that's interesting, I thought they were made in France..

I'm hoping to retire in sometime like this and hit the road.

G

The Aero ONE does look very nice. Just a bit to big for me. With the GAZELL TOURING, when pack away, doesn't look top heavy.

G.

Yeah I saw that, it Could go for a very good price. Its a while away before I start, have to get the Hilux 1st. That will need work on it, suspension upgraded, extra fuel tank.

Just playing around with ideas at the moment..

G.

Came across this one today. Love it or hate it, this bloke has put a tonne of work into it. OK OK it's a long slow watch but stick with it. The body weighs less than 300kgs. Whilst people are looking at shortening an 80, he's made it longer!
He's no back yard tourist for sure. He's been quite some way. I rather like it. Oh and a quad bike in the back of the trailer? Blimey.

Came across this one today. Love it or hate it, this bloke has put a tonne of work into it. OK OK it's a long slow watch but stick with it. The body weighs less than 300kgs. Whilst people are looking at shortening an 80, he's made it longer!
He's no back yard tourist for sure. He's been quite some way. I rather like it. Oh and a quad bike in the back of the trailer? Blimey.

scandalous! That blokes just copied what the bloke on the previous page has done!

Back