Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission not downshifting when stepping on the gas pedal

rshaules

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone,
Just recently bought a 2002 Landcruiser 105 4.7 auto.
Having a weird issue and hoping it's not something major-
The car isn't downshifting even when I put the pedal to the floor.
Car seems to be accelerating fine and going through the gears fine except when accelerating.
Any tips or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!
-Richard

Very hard to say straight off the bat. Could be electronic, something to do with the box itself. But as you are getting drive just not down shifting the first thing I'd check might be the throttle position sensor. This effectively tells the box what the engine is doing. No I am not familiar with the 2002 105 petrol auto, but there's probably a cable that runs from the accellerator linkage, down the bulkhead and into the box. People insist on calling this the kickdown cable. Is it NOT the kickdown cable. It's very very common for moisture to collect in the cable sheath and either rust causing friction or to rot through completely. It should pull out easy and snap back smartly. There is also an adjustment that makes a huge difference to the gear changes too. What can happen is that as you push the pedal, the crank pulls the cable out, but it doesn't go back. So as you decelerate, the box thinks the engine is still on the power.

Cheers- I'll see if I can locate this. Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back