Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Travelling October-November

garygiles1963

Hi

Depending on Mum situation, at the moment I have some free time in October-November.

I think it going to be to late to do the planned Western Alps trip. So I'm thinking maybe going back to the Pyrenees.

What will the weather be like in the Pyrenees that time of the year. Should I be looking to go further south? Am I wrong about the Western Alps, will most of the routes still be accessible?

What I'm looking for is Pyrenees experience but with the same weather as in July.

I would appreciate any recommendations for that time of year.

Gary

I reckon some of the higher alps passes will close during that time, major roads would beOK but not tracks
Not sure about Pyrenees.
I remember reading an article when a group did pyrennes traverse in November and had snow on tracks at times.

We did a Massif Central trip late September/to mid-October one year, and camping. At 1200m was chilly in evenings 5-6degC. Had to wear warm leggings and down jackets. Think we had a frost one morning.
But it was nice during day, 20-25degC
We soon learnt to camp high up, becuaess river valleys got fog every night and was much nicer to to be in hills above that in sunshine in the morning.

I reckon further south I need Spain and Portugal would be warmer.
Camped in Spain on way to/from Morocco one October and it was ok.

Maybe some club members who are locals in the area can advise

Last edited:
How long have you got? 3 weeks or more and I'd be heading across to Africa. Last October the weather wasn't brilliant in Morocco with snow closing the mountain passes early in the month and rain. November was fantastic with sun, blue skies and 30 degrees

Thanks everyone,

At the moment got 3 weeks free, last 2 weeks of October and the 1st week of November.

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
my choice for october November :
Spain or Morocco or Greece or Tunisia or Sardinia
apart from Tunisia, you can drive through the mountains on dirtroads and have a Pyrenees experience.
We spent 2 weeks in Tunisia of which 6 days were in the desert sand. not like the Pyrenees....

I guess Spain is a good option. You can try the Pyrenees and if the weather is bad, drive down south until it gets warmer.

Thanks Fireout,

So you got me interested in exploring both Corsica and Sardinia.

Couple of questions, is it possible to wild camp, is there enough to explore for a lazy 2 weeks?

Appreciate others input and thoughts on these 2 places, any recommendations, must see places?

Thanks,

Gary

On Corsica wild camping is allowed from 19h to 9h except near the GR20 but there are many organised campsites there. The GR20 is prohibited for vehicles anyway. The advantage of Corsica is that mountains and sea are very close to each other, you can chose a site according to the weather or your taste. The island will give you a Pyrenees feeling and will provide you with some desert experience (desert de agriates).

Sardinia : we always wildcamped.
2 weeks easily.
The northern shore isnot interesting but the mountains are very nice and in the southwest there are a lot of abandoned mining sites from early 20th century with great tracks.
Slidesbow from our trip : https://www.ontroerend-goed.be/sardinialbum/sardiniaindex.html

Btw when we showed up with our 3 4wd's at the rangers headquarters in one of the national parks, they were very friendly and spontaneously showed us the best tracks to drive...

Firewout,

Thank you, this looks perfect for what I am looking for. Have you travelled Croatia at all?

G.

Hi Gary. I am arriving in Santander on 16th October and not returning until mid December. I am a solo traveller and plan every day as it comes. I am open for some Spanish adventures but really want to get to Morocco where it is warmer and I can choose between beach, desert and mountains. I'm happy to do 'off grid' for up to 7 nights, but am not into 100's of KM of harsh corrugated Moroccan 'shortcuts'. If you want to discus then please let me know.

Nick

How about southern Spain?
Morocco ‘a cold country with a warm sun’
Can be very cold in the mountains, warmer further south getting into northern Sahara.

43 degrees in Morocco today. Perfect for another 800km in the desert as we head south.

Nov/Dec 2017 was very cold. Same time last year was above 30 during the day. May this year saw snow in the edge of the Sahara, very unusual.

Hi Gary. I am arriving in Santander on 16th October and not returning until mid December. I am a solo traveller and plan every day as it comes. I am open for some Spanish adventures but really want to get to Morocco where it is warmer and I can choose between beach, desert and mountains. I'm happy to do 'off grid' for up to 7 nights, but am not into 100's of KM of harsh corrugated Moroccan 'shortcuts'. If you want to discus then please let me know.

Nick

Nick

Huge apologizes for the late reply. Mum was discharged from hospital and returned home last Tuesday. So, it’s been a bit manic here.

I won't be doing the trip now, as I be spending it with Mum helping her get settle back in.

Thanks, so much for the offer, if circumstances had been different, I would have been happy to chat. Maybe we can work something out I the future.

Regards
Gary

Back