Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Troopy/ 78 tip over angle?

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hello Aussie 78 experts
i know there are a bunch of variables here with respect to how you load the truck etc but am just after a rule of thumb.
do any of you know or know where I can find out the tip over angle for a troopy?
And even better how it is affected once a pop top is added, which I think adds about 40 kg to the original roof weight.

I am sure it gets scary before the limit is reached. I assume actual limit is about 40 degrees?
all help/info welcome.
many thanks

The UK 70's have an inclinometer on the top of the metal dash, it states to not exceed 30 degrees, having been on some fair inclines the unit didn't go anywhere near the max of 30 degrees.

I’ve had my 70 past 30 on my inclinometer, gets the butthole clenching for sure, static lean isn’t really what will have you over though, it’s a jolt while leaning

As you mentioned above, so many variables to take into consideration here... tyre size, body lift, roof-rack installed? etc etc. Even the level your fuel tanks are at will make an impact.
Also as kind of alluded to above, its not really a metric that determines your tipping point, but the terrain you are traversing. One wheel goes down, another comes up... it all happens so fast.
Couldn't really give you an accurate tip over angle, especially with a pop-top installed, but suffice to say if you are eyeballing an inclinometer instead of analysing the terrain in front of you, there's gonna be tears :) However you're probably close to the mark with 35 degrees static lean on a perfectly flat surface in a stock vehicle at kerb weight.

Mine has a Alucab pop top and tbh it does not feel to tippy, and it has pretty much done all open lanes in Wales without issue

I found this in a Toyota document. Obviously a different land cruiser . will try to find 78 equivalent

80EE94A5-3B3D-4AA1-874E-35AA5ABFB48E.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back