Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Troopy FJ45 suspension bushings and front disc brake conversion

LegoCruiser

Supporter
Country Flag
sweden
My troopy has finally got new rims and tyres. It has passed its roadworthy test with no problems so is clear for another 2 years (hooray!). I have already gone through the rear hubs and changed brake cylinders, pads and tidied the rear springs up. But I have yet to change the bushings. It seems rubber ones are OE but polyurethane are more easily available. I'm happy with the latter but am not sure if the shackles need changing at the same time? I see this done on many Youtube videos of restorations but am not sure if that's because they are changing the ride height (up or down) at the same time. I can't really see how they'd wear out and mine seem OK. any advice on that would be appreciated.

When doing the rear brakes I thought I'd just move the front and do the same - to keep it as original as possible. But now I am thinking I'd prefer the safety of a disc brake conversion on the front. Megastore 4x4 seems to do them but if anyone has a strong negative opinion about them I'd be keen to hear, or alternative sources (in Europe) I could look at.

Anyway, here's my troopy (successfully) going though the roadworthy test: IMG_6419.jpg

and a side view where you can almost see the restored rear hub...
IMG_6260.JPG

Last edited:
Nice troopy man! The only thing I know is that on a 1976 fj 45, is that the front springs have a smaller bush which is the same size as all the way around a swb 40 series and the rear (45/47) have a larger spring eye, so if you intend to just buy the bushings for the rear leaf springs then it has to be specific to the 45/47 lwb.

Hope the info helps from what I've noticed on mine..

Toyota are not known for changing things for the sake of change so it may be possible to fit discs using original Toyota parts ...maybe 60 series ?
I would also wonder if the master cylinder needs changing as the displacement of the caliper pistons may well be more than the original brake cylinders and you'll struggle to get a decent brake pedal .

H,
I meant to reply when I first saw your post and then life got in the way.....
The 40 axle and the 60 axle are very similar other than the 60 is 70mm wider so the discs should fit
Just noticed an explanatory page in one of my manuals - just may help but then you may have already done it.
If you are going the 60 series route Mr T parts come with a discount at Euro4x4. Always worth looking at both sites as there is a degree of crossover.

Regards,

Rodger

FRONT DRUM - DISC.jpeg

Hi Rodger,
No problem - I am even slower than you and have made almost no progress with anything since last posting! I am still undecided. I do like trying to keep things stock as much as possible but it would be nice with greater stopping power. Using 60 series could be a good compromise. I’ll take a look at the parts but what is Mr T?

I’ve just done a dry then wet compression test and it seems there may be some valves leaking.
In psi: dry /wet
1 110/110
2 80/88
3 90/95
4 90/90
5 90/95
6 100/105

I intend to try adjusting the valve clearances soon (once I’ve built a greenhouse!) then check compression again.

I’ve order new rubber bushings all round, new distributor cap, ht cables and spark plugs. I’m looking into changing to electronic ignition system but they seem hard to find. Then I’ll move on to the front axle bearings and brake system finally. Hopefully by the end of the summer that will be done and then I can move onto something else.
best
Ted

Hello Ted,

Looks like a valve check would be a good start and with a bit of luck that will solve the compression problems.
Mr T is a one of the short terms for Toyota parts or OEM parts (original parts).
You may be aware that on the 84/5 LX 40s they had power steering, as to whether original parts would still be available I wouldn't know, but it may be worth checking out with one of the better Toyota dealerships or Parts Souq (they are based in the Middle East). Sorry I appear to have lost my link to them but if can't find it let me know and I'll find it again.
I was going to say that I fitted poly bushes and they do squeak but I see that you have acquired the rubber ones - well done.
It is always worth looking at www.sor.com who specalise in 40s but their online catalogue has very good schematics.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back