Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trottle cable

jameshiscox88

Country Flag
australia
Hi all
Just joined this great looking page
So need some help with my 1995 80 series petrol 4.5l auto
So today I put my pedal to the floor to try over take someone then all of a sudden I lost all acceleration pulled over and it started idling really rough to the point it just cut out
This happened every time I tried to start it
Then all of a sudden it ran normal even drove home
Got home and looked around and found a snapped throttle cable
So question is would this of caused the car to suddenly loose power
I’m not a mechanic but how is the car still driving normally with a snapped cable
Thanks guys

James never heard of the throttle cable snapping. But then again I only know of the 4.2 TD engine. The throttle cable helps with gearing and if not connected / setup would change the driving characteristics of the vehicle greatly. This I know from having to change mine over and it was sticking in places.

Is it the throttle position cable for the auto box that has broken? Is often called the kick down cable incorrectly.

Yeah thought it was called the kick down cable but was reading another post and the bloke said it was a throttle cable not a kick down cable
There 2 wires one running to the pedal and the other running down to the box and that’s the one that’s snapped like fully snapped

Some pics

Attachments

• BD6FB5E2-8F34-49EC-B0F8-6DA6E01B19B3.jpeg
    BD6FB5E2-8F34-49EC-B0F8-6DA6E01B19B3.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • F9AAA21D-A91A-4C29-A941-25285CD5DBE0.jpeg
    F9AAA21D-A91A-4C29-A941-25285CD5DBE0.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 39
Hard to see but James if it’s the cable with the orange / red cap that would be the so called lockdown cable going to the gearbox.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's the throttle position cable as correctly identified by Iwan. They're about £70, Not hard to change. but the oil pan has to come off.

No worries I’ve got it booked in for the mechanic tomorrow anyways noticed there’s a shit load of trans oil leaking when I got under to have a look today
Thanks for your help guys

Anyone in aus know where to buy a replacement cable mechanic has been calling around for 2 days and can’t find one

You may need to take the pieces to someone to have a cable made up, but length is critical.

regards

Dave

Back