Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trying to talk my husband into buying this 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ71 Diesel

I plastic wrapped my after market headlamps to stop them getting scratched Zooey!

View attachment 21851

Thanks for the invite anyway, tea at Shayne's then coffee at Zooey's, that's really jet setting!

Actually, it might be quicker from here going the other way around, I could turn right instead of left, across Russia, Bearing strait and a hop across Alaska, be there in no time. Now that would be an overland adventure!!

What a learning curve I am on. Cruiser has all these Japanese decals inside. And a red button jut above the gear shift. Little red button . Ejector seat control maybe?

How difficult was it to plastic your head lamps? I was looking at the various films available. Some sites have guys covering the hood as well.

Right now I am installing seat covers (over seller's seat covers and over original velour).....not the right colour scheme but I had them on hand for years....We are going to remove and store the back seats as soon as we are approved for the reduced insurance here as a collector.

I am trying to find the proper manuals for engine and "all the rest". Japanese mechanic here tells me I need the Hilux Diesel manual as that is the engine....but he needs to look up the model and frame # to tell what actual production dates were.

OFF TOPIC but I was trying to upload a couple of photos. Can't seem to get it to paste into this post? I get to locating the jpg. file and selecting but do not see how to "paste"??? Any idea what I am doing wrong?

OK got around it I think.

DSC01335.JPGDSC01338.JPG

Anyone here speak Japanese? To make sense of the various decal inside? The Little Red Button located next to an OVERDRIVE metal label? right above the PRNDL gear shift? I have all kinds of buttons I am figuring out..but hesitate to hit in case I blow up or start to fly.

I have no idea about the button and i haven't used vinyl wrap but i imagine it should be very easy for something small like headlights using hairdryer heat to help it mould . Your Jap mechanic is probably right about the Hilux manual Toyota uses the same engine in so many different vehicles the manuals never seem to be vehicle specific , i've got a Haynes and a Gregorys but both discuss about 5 different vehicles .

When your typing there is a few options above Bold , underline , smileys etc the second from last icon a box with a tree in it click that and it allows you to upload from your com .

if its the same as in a toyota surf the little red button lets you move the stick without turning the engine on.

Nick is right. It unlocks the gear shift when the engine is off and without having to put your foot on the brake. Useful if you blow the brake light fuse or when dusting the inside of the truck just before visiting the Adventure Overland show. Just make sure you put it back in P or N or else it won't start. [emoji11][emoji6][emoji36]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How difficult was it to plastic your head lamps? I was looking at the various films available. Some sites have guys covering the hood as well.

OFF TOPIC but I was trying to upload a couple of photos. Can't seem to get it to paste into this post? I get to locating the jpg. file and selecting but do not see how to "paste"??? Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Wrapping
It was only because the aftermarket headlamps were made of plastic, that I considered wrapping them, to save them from scratches, either direct scratching or from mud, where careless wiping without washing, leaves an abraded finish in the plastic. I have to admit that I cheated, taking them to a guy who specialized in wrapping, and he did them in seconds. But, I think Shayne is right, some gentle heat with a hair dryer is probably all that's needed. Just be careful to clean them first with an anti static screen cleaner, to avoid dust and other debris getting trapped between the wrap and the lens.

Uploading photos
Are you using a laptop or PC, or are you using an iPad?
In either case, you should not be trying to "copy / paste" pictures.
Within your new post, click on the square picture icon (with a tree in it) and follow the directions.

Choose "from computer" and click on "basic uploaded" in the bottom RH corner.
click "browse" and browse to the photo you want to upload.

Wrapping
It was only because the aftermarket headlamps were made of plastic, that I considered wrapping them, to save them from scratches, either direct scratching or from mud, where careless wiping without washing, leaves an abraded finish in the plastic. I have to admit that I cheated, taking them to a guy who specialized in wrapping, and he did them in seconds. But, I think Shayne is right, some gentle heat with a hair dryer is probably all that's needed. Just be careful to clean them first with an anti static screen cleaner, to avoid dust and other debris getting trapped between the wrap and the lens.

Uploading photos
Are you using a laptop or PC, or are you using an iPad?
In either case, you should not be trying to "copy / paste" pictures.
Within your new post, click on the square picture icon (with a tree in it) and follow the directions.

Choose "from computer" and click on "basic uploaded" in the bottom RH corner.
click "browse" and browse to the photo you want to upload.

Thanks about the picture uploading. I got around it by doing Advanced attachment instead. Somehow the Little Tree box did not work for me. (maybe my security settings or whatever). I got to all the files etc. but computer jut stuck on the actual upload. SO I went to the attachments, which seems to work.

Thanks all regarding the red button. I was hoping it was an ejector seat control.

Regarding the plastic wrapping. I am looking into protecting the head lights etc. simply because the road maintenance here uses sand in the winter. And the sand is not screened very well so has smaller pebbles. My last vehicles had continually cracked head lamps...water inside etc. Also looking as some company in the US has clear plastic covers that may fit over the glass headlight without impeding function.
All the glass on this Cruiser is unmarked pretty much except this very tiny stone mark my husband encountered driving up; so want to keep it that way.

So I talked my husband into looking, driving and he fell in love...now HE is jealous that he left it here. Thanks all. Today I make a dog prison in the back that protects every body part from the frenzy that goes on when we drive and they see another dog.

Good on you Zooey,you are ding well.Pat

Good on you Zooey,you are ding well.Pat

Thanks. I will post a puppy prison photo when I am done. IF I could bubble wrap this vehicle I would. For now we are looking at a doogie prison that is colour coordinated.

Pat. My sis lives in [FONT=Arial Narrow,Bold][FONT=Arial Narrow,Bold]Kawakawa
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow,Bold][FONT=Arial Narrow,Bold][/FONT][/FONT]
She is a bit of a flake but a good flake. Far as your starting problems? I ran into so many stalling starting problems with Nissan Deathblunder...I swear it has to be simple but difficult to figure out. Good luck.

Back