Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trying to talk my husband into buying this 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ71 Diesel

I've had a fair few 70 series European trucks and can safely say that I completely love them! I've got an import body of the same age and specifications as the one that you are looking at. It's the best condition out of the 4 keepers that I have ! So there's a few down falls with the 71's in this respect. As they were made for the JDM market they werent sealed as well on the underside from my experience. The Japanese trucks were intended to be used for a limited amount of years. Due to emissions. .

So as I look at your pic of the lj71. Its in nice looking condition.

If you look in the back doors lift the rear boot carpet by where the jack is stored.and the opposite side same area . Is there any sign of rust bubbling in the paint on the boot floor? Then check the underside directly underneath on the other side of the rear plastic bumper corner to see if it is corroded there by the side of the exhaust. A classic rust point. Check around the rear wheel arches to see if it has corrosion there.

A good way to judge how "well" it is by when it was imported. . My gold/brown left Japan in 2005.. so pretty good. . But my kzj71 was exported in 1999 so not so well off rust wise!

These are highly modifiable trucks so dont worry too much about the engine performance as it can be upgraded. . In my opinion its all about how solid the body is. Imports are generally better speced trucks .. more comfortable with better seats and electics. They all have the bigger better braking systems so winner there..

If its solid I'd say Go for it! Be good to spend a bit getting it fully undersealed and to waxoil the cavities. .

Good luck with it. . Once you have one you will not regret it :thumbup:

Thank you. Your suggestions are on my list of "kick the tires as my proxy"....but from everything, every bit of input you all have shared. Your advice. (Far as I am concerned it is a done deal and all I need to do is show husband the way.) Many thanks. And I will return, hopefully, to ask beginner advice on care.

I love the 70s. A mite underpowered for most, it'll get the job done if you aren't in a hurry.

They are also not as refined as 80s and up, but most rural people do not care for that. I know I don't.

Goodness the answer to my dreams.Yes we've got a spare son.Second hand,does need training.At the present time is undergoing an induction course before I'll loan him my KZJ78 on Saturday morning.Please does your sis want to swap photos.We could good do a fast deal before we tell him. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg He's the cheeky little devil on the left.

43 posts in 3 days, you've certainly tugged at some heartstrings on this Zooey!

Shouldnt this post be under the "classified" section Pat?

Good luck with the sale :lol:

Goodness the answer to my dreams.Yes we've got a spare son.Second hand,does need training.At the present time is undergoing an induction course before I'll loan him my KZJ78 on Saturday morning.Please does your sis want to swap photos.We could good do a fast deal before we tell him.View attachment 21440View attachment 21440View attachment 21441View attachment 21442 He's the cheeky little devil on the left.

My sis is this very moral/spiritual Buddhist type gal. Guess she is 55 years young about now. Pretty svelte and hot. Good girl.

Gosh Zooey,Just look at young Damian,could have stepped out of a Canadian forestry crew,Nearing 50 summers and some hard cruel winters but has weathered them pretty well but badly needs a guiding spirit and a "Buddhist".don't they teach respect for their elders?I say bring them together .Does Sis like doggies?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clive,anything to help new members find the path to happiness in a landcruiser.pat

Gosh Zooey,Just look at young Damian,could have stepped out of a Canadian forestry crew,Nearing 50 summers and some hard cruel winters but has weathered them pretty well but badly needs a guiding spirit and a "Buddhist".don't they teach respect for their elders?I say bring them together .Does Sis like doggies?View attachment 21464View attachment 21462View attachment 21463

Sis has a doggy. Will not move into anyplace without doggy. She lives North? end of NZ. Her doggy is a german shepardy kind of guy.

Oh and Pat. I will not meddle overtly. So cannot send a photo covertly. She is serious vegetarian. Does not tipple booze to stupor. Got her Masters in Early Childhood Education at some uni in NZ. Lives in North? Katikati but I think she changed jobs and is kicking around somewhere up that way? I will ask though. Sent her an email a week ago with no reply so far....

Anyway off the courting timeline. Husband is going to go Sunday with a magnet in hand searching for bondo.....fingers crossed. I have all $$$ set to go, checked with insurance etc., Located the closest rust proofing garage...fingers are crossed. Then like a ghost haunting; I will be back to read all the threads and learn how to tend the beast.

Good Luck zooey hope you get your 70 series cruiser.

Many many thank you's to every one of you. Husband is going with a list of all your suggestions as to where and how to gauge the health of this Cruiser.

I have crunched all the money numbers and we will offer $2000 less than asking if it checks out and negotiate from there. Saw another Land Cruiser for $2500 less, 1997 with the 3.0 Diesel. So?

But I hate the paint job. (1997)

So, unless this 70 series is pristine I/we decided we will walk away. So thank you for pointing me at the "where to look for hidden defects".

First thing is that it goes to the anti-rust guys. (Looked all over for Dinitrol; not readily available here...best I can do is Krown). And I have 3 gallons of Fluid Film on the shelf here.

Never owned a diesel. (Did have a 1965 Mustang convertible, 1982 Camaro Berlinetta....so I do appreciate some sort of age and quality.)

YIPPEE FRIGGIN YIPEE

Husband is over the moon in love with our new Cruiser. Bought it. AND cannot stop talking about how great it is. Thanks all. I will be back. (Now stupid question time....how to care for it). But husband thinks he invented the wheel with this purchase. IS JUST OVER THE MOON.

Thanks all for everything.

deleted. wrong photo file

Last edited:
Ha ha, he is looking rather pleased with himself! :lol:

Well done zooey, for pushing the purchase. :thumbup:

Very nice truck and very nicely led husband. Well done!![emoji122][emoji4]

Congratulations!!! Hope you have miles of happy travels together :)

Poor man i wonder if he knows he has just bought a decade of you smugly informing friends and family , guests , the postmen and passing strangers that it was your idea :lol:
well done :thumbup:
I predict there will be a pair of cruisers on your drive sooner or later :icon-wink:

Back