Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo Boost Issues

Guy today attempted to get to the bottom of the gearbox throttle cable that seemed stuck and non functional.
First up was to drain the gearbox oil and then open up the pan, reach deep on the side inner wall and undo the cable. Luckily the cable was accessible without having to take the brain out aiding no further trouble taking things apart.
Upon inspection the wire was stuck and seized. Best solution was to ease this with oil drip by drip easing out the seizure eventually enough to free the cable once again to work thankfully.

Once connected and tweeting the fuel pump it was aligned temporarily for a test run for the next few days.

One thing I did notice was the kick down was far better and top end speed opened up significantly reaching 150KPH (94MPH) :p

IMG_5974.jpg IMG_5975.jpg

Last edited:
Guys after a long time finally attempting to upgrade the turbo as shared before. Bought a OEM 1HD-FTE compresses wheel typically larger that stock CT26 currently.

viber image 2019-04-05 , 21.04.31.jpg viber image 2019-04-05 ,.jpg

First step thing the front case off and off to haven it milled to the spec of the new compressor wheel. The front flange was uneven so had to straighten this out first as it was uneven on the spin. This was so to be able to reverse it after and hold it accurately for the internals to be cut away.

View attachment 155507 View attachment 155508

IMG_8041.JPG IMG_8039.JPG

A few checks along the way after measuring the 1HD-FTE front housing to the CT26 one, 4mm difference to accommodate the new compressor wheel.

IMG_8042.JPG

Both front case side by side. The CT26 has wider internal spacing on the ends shown so should spool up much sooner that the 1HD_FTE case.

IMG_8043.JPG IMG_8044.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tomorrow looking to finish up testing whilst putting everything together, Been told need to run the new blade in a few days. Looking forward to some improved spooling power. :dance:

You know how to make people jealous don't you Dervis , if i paid someone £900 to pump my tyres up around here they would under inflate so i had to do it myself .

Good luck with it Dervis. I’m watching with interest. :thumbup:

Existing compressor wheel with new milled front housing. Clearly seeing the difference.

5753B303-B7B8-49A6-BB56-A20182D4B5C6.jpeg

Taking the compressor wheel off it seems the new one has a different size hole to attach to the bolt. So needing to mill it accordingly now and try again.

Clearly seeing the difference in the blades size and configuration still being 10 bladed on both. The 1HT-FTE one is more aggressive, larger in every way.

4CD82E1E-6BF8-448D-A0DB-7BE4F7142CF4.jpeg BCC6D784-E37E-41EC-9F2F-4E4BD7EFFE5C.jpeg

Noticed a hairline crack on the rear housing common on these turbos. Looked for a used spare one but to no avail so likely to use as is for now.

61A8F599-D826-4B41-BCB2-C5D8AFD393D7.jpeg

Good luck with it Dervis. I’m watching with interest. :thumbup:

Thanks Richard long time planned so kinda experimenting on the cheap tbh rather than buying one to which I’m not sure if it would be any better other a GTurbo type. Just needing a little more power as the rig is heavier now with the over-landing setup.

Have you got some method of balancing the whole rotating part of the turbo once you’ve swapped the impeller? The impeller itself is balanced of course but I don’t know if that’s enough.

Have you got some method of balancing the whole rotating part of the turbo once you’ve swapped the impeller? The impeller itself is balanced of course but I don’t know if that’s enough.

I’m told no need to, bearing in mind to take off and replace other than care Richard. My cousin has done this so many times but a first did me.

Whilst out my cousins gonna open it up as he said the old where front compressor was a little stiff so not sure for now.

Last edited:
Another issue encountered is the core turbo has a indented flange outwards that fitted snug the old compressor wheel.

The newer compressor wheel hasn’t got that so doesn’t sit right so back to have this milled like the original.

45CBFBDE-098C-4994-8479-46B8ACAFD45D.jpeg 6C9A6C13-638F-46F3-8AB3-28777A422DDF.jpeg

Being hard to connect to the mill straight the guy here used a roller to make sure it’s accurate before milling can commence.

4F9EF913-9BAF-482B-95A7-8B1C137F6892.jpeg 0A420728-6CDF-4FE4-910F-70881B4A77D7.png

Next step measuring old compressor wheel base to adapt the same configuration to the new.

Turned out pretty good thankfully one step closer.

92568FAB-9446-4081-AD8C-2762ED07FF9D.jpeg 885E3CE2-1B6A-46F9-91E5-69C41D514958.jpeg

Back