Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo fail advice please

JimmyLJ71

I have an Lj71
When i first got the truck after about a year it started to use alot of oil until at one time the oil light came on a couple of times , i found out that the turbo had failed , there was alot of play on the bearing , i then replaced the turbo with a good used one , later on i also had the engine rebuilt .
After running the engine in very carefully i have recently been on a trip to Morocco where the engine appeared to be using alot of oil again , im getting very worried having spent alot of money having it rebuilt knowing i had replaced the turbo , although having said that it was running sweet .
Upon coming home i decided to service it as i usually do but thought i would check the turbo , it had gone again !!!.
Is this bad luck or is something causing it, it was under alot of stress in Morocco

Just bad luck I reckon.

Its the problem of buying second hand parts, chances are they are as old as the one you binned!

Is the oil all being lost internally - ie going into the combustion process. Always a risk of the engine 'dieseling' in this case, they run on their own fumes.

I replaced my knacked one (which was losing oil on to the manifold) with a chinese copy off fleabay - it was fine and cost less than £200.00. I think it was from MaxSpeedingRods, they have a warehouse in Southampton. I will try and find the details if you want.

Pete

If you could please , there is a chinese one on ebay at the moment , concerned about what i may be buying though .

This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hilux-sur ... 231056785a

Their warehouse is in Southampton, so it only took a few days to arrive.

It worked exactly as it should, and is about £1600.00 cheaper than the genuine part.....

You will need a gasket kit from Toyota, which was about £30 as I recall.

Cheers

Pete

Many thanks

I am looking at a couple of options.

Turbo Technics do exchange units, but apparently there are two different ones, they tell me there should be a tag with a ten digit code on, not on either of mine :thumbdown:

Would anyone know what the code is.

Jim

Hi,

When you replace a turbo, if you run a cat then you need to change that as well. The oil collect and changes the pressures.

A friend had a turbo changed, similar symptoms, and within a few hundred miles got the same problems. Had a word with a Mercedes mechanic (Merc's uk mechanic of year!) and he advised about cat. The friend had that changed - end of problem. The turbo in question was on a D4D.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
HI,
Sorry I should also have said, for non-cat vehicles clean out or change the exhaust particularly the down pipe from the manifold and the first box

Regards,

Thanks
My truck is an Lj 71, no cat , both turbos have failed in the same way, ie play on the spindles allowing oil to pass, prob bad luck as the replacement was second hand .
Im begining to think oil starvation , doesnt help that my oil sensor has also failed .
Im not a mechanic by any means but i wonder (although i have changed the oil once after running in) if cruddy oil may have been the cause .
The exhaust is non standard , it's a re-packable side exhaust .

Your original turbo was a CT20.

Toyota part number is 17201?54060

I am not aware of there being two different options though?

Pete

Back