Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo for 2005 100 (VNT)

IvanD

Country Flag
bulgaria
My turbo has failed. Currently it's out of the truck and there is too much axial play. Housing isn't damaged yet, just very slight discolouration. Vanes are probably worn too (430 000km). I got generic turbo codes 2 or 3 times in the past year, mostly when pushing uphill (not towing).
I can't find much about that turbo. It's Garrett GT2359V, number on the plate is 724483-8, Toyota # 17201-17070 .
Some early 2000s E & S-class are also using that code, but apparently the turbos are incompatible.

I can't find any confidence inspiring CHRAs online. Where should I look?

Brand new is around £1600. I would rather avoid that.
Midland Turbo - Turbocharger Repairs, Upgrades - Shop online Now! - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] are offering a rebuild for "up to" £420. Any idea if they are good? If not, who else?

Various places are selling refurbished turbos, ranging from €280 to €798. I am really clueless who to trust...

Advice?

Have a look at Bob Murphy's write up there are a few suggestions there and Dervis has an 80 it also has had turbo issues

Ivan, it might be worth giving these a call. Being refurbished their more likely to give you something that’s checked and tested without issues. The Chinese cheaper models are a bit of luck to what you get. Mine didn’t come with the adjustable actuator as shown in the pictures, the rear bolt holes for the exhaust needed attention and going over threading again and the setup was very much out, so quality control was not present.
Although I managed to fix these issues it wasn’t without the hassle of playing around with it and fitting it twice something far from being happy.

Attachments

• D7C11C30-45C3-45EB-A2F6-E929D38DAB71.png
    D7C11C30-45C3-45EB-A2F6-E929D38DAB71.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 41
I’m pretty sure there was Wink turbo mentioned on here for upgrades. Might be worth a look.

I’m pretty sure there was Wink turbo mentioned on here for upgrades. Might be worth a look.
The Wink turbo is a wastegated version, for the 80 series.
However, they rebuilt my mates HDJ100 turbo and highflowed it. It goes pretty well ! And the price still nowhere near a new OEM turbo.
I would stay clear from cheap ebay / chinese turbo's! And buy one from a respectable shop.

Huh, if they can rebuild the VNT that could be a good option. Will contact them. Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My turbo has failed. Currently it's out of the truck and there is too much axial play. Housing isn't damaged yet, just very slight discolouration. Vanes are probably worn too (430 000km). I got generic turbo codes 2 or 3 times in the past year, mostly when pushing uphill (not towing).
I can't find much about that turbo. It's Garrett GT2359V, number on the plate is 724483-8, Toyota # 17201-17070 .
Some early 2000s E & S-class are also using that code, but apparently the turbos are incompatible.

I can't find any confidence inspiring CHRAs online. Where should I look?

Brand new is around £1600. I would rather avoid that.
Midland Turbo - Turbocharger Repairs, Upgrades - Shop online Now! - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] are offering a rebuild for "up to" £420. Any idea if they are good? If not, who else?

Various places are selling refurbished turbos, ranging from €280 to €798. I am really clueless who to trust...

Advice?
I’ve only just seen your post Ivan ( and Bob Murphy’s tale of woe!)
If you haven’t sorted it out already give Turbo Technics a call on 01924 404112, they rebuilt the turbo on my 100 5 years ago and it’s been perfect ever since.
West Coast off Road recommended them, my problem was intermittent blue smoke on start up and slight oil consumption, turned out the two halves of the turbo were very slightly loose but with no damage to the body they gave me the option to just repair and test or to put a new core in.
I went for the new core and the total cost was £375 inc carriage, they arranged collection ( on a Monday) and it was returned on the Friday.
So that left me 5 days to delete the egr setup, strip off the inlet manifold and clean out a ton of carbon sludge, a right pain of a job but well worthwhile!
Hope you get it sorted.

So some numbers - refurbish + high flowing is €650, if core is good (which mine isn't), which sounds decent to me.

On a stock car (with high flowed original VNT) you will get around 580nm, with boost control and better intercooling and exhaust it will increase very quick to 700nm. This drives already very very well.
With the wink turbo you can get 900nm easily. I dont know if the 5 speed auto box will take this.

I think I will go for it!

Hi,

I have a 2005 4.2 so I guess it has a 17201-1707 unit are these variable vane turbos ?

Thanks,

db.

Oh..! suffering the same as the OP, read on a VAG site that Mr Muscle on the exhaust side can de coke the carbon ... Haha "de coke" going back to my 2T days.. anyone had any luck with this approach..? Just can't be arsed to pull the turbo off as I done so much recent work on it I thought I was weekend free for a while..:(

What is the "same" you are suffering from? Codes when pushing the turbo uphill?
People I thought with while looking for a place to work on my turbo told me that the generic "Turbo system malfunction" code (forgot the exact number) usually happen on higher mileage cars when the vanes of the VNT start to wear down and start becoming stuck. Usually turning the car of and back on solves it, as this resets the vane positions.
But it could be a zillion other things if you are not more specific :)

Hi Ivan,

Sorry for the lack info, just a moaning moment in last post, after new alternator, fuel tank, fuel filler pipe, one battery, tyres, some welding I subbed out to a local garage and now wish they hadn't allowed their pet seagull to sh*t all over it and call it welding..

Pulling my trailer, flooring it from low speed brings on the engine management light, goes out as you say when turned off for a while, did have the codes but didn't note them down, over or under boost I re call, can read them again tomorrow..

She's only cover 144k so not high milage at all.

The activator moves, I can move it with a hand vac pump, not sure how much vacuum they should read to move it in service..??

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

db.

Honestly, I do not know. To me it sounds like the common VNT issue. Have it looked at in any case. Turbo related engine lights are no fun.

Back