Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo power

horukuru

Country Flag
malaysia
Hio all,

Does installing turbo on 1HZ80 will cause problem on the pistons etc?

If yes, how do you prevent it?

I kinda doubt toyota would use different pistons for the N/A vs the turbo engine. If that's the case, then bolting on a turbo should fine. Obviously you'll want to tune it well with fueling and watch those EGT's to be on the safe side of things.

I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm whether this is the case or not...

I kinda doubt toyota would use different pistons for the N/A vs the turbo engine. If that's the case, then bolting on a turbo should fine. Obviously you'll want to tune it well with fueling and watch those EGT's to be on the safe side of things.

I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm whether this is the case or not...
No they are completely different engines to the turbocharged units. Had a 1hz in my first 80 for 13 years and looked into turbocharging that. Was put on to a guy at the time called Scott who is into tuning cruisers and his advice was definitely to leave well alone. The hz is a great engine if a little underpowered at times but I learned to drive it accordingly. I've towed some things in the past with it that would give the vosa man a heart attack! !!

It can be done, but IMO only with great care. There are kits available if you research it, but you need to use a low psi boost.

I'm no expert by a long way, but I've read a lot when considering the change on my 1HZ.

I'm with Gav, it is a very different engine in lots of ways. I'm the first to admit it's no racing car, but it has loads of torque.

Learn to get the best from the gearbox (if it's a manual) and your driving style.

Sometimes even my slug surprises me! Short 1st and 2nd gear shifts, then pile on the toque in third. It's not an engine that revs too freely, and the power is down when you're up near 3,000 rpm, but 1,700 to 2,500 pulls like train IME.

It does like to be driven 'hard' I've found, since purchase 10 years ago, I still think mine is getting better year by year.

IMO, make the best of what you have or change it to an HDJ. Don't try to mix the two....

Surely all that torque can be converted to motion , bigger wheels or swapping diffs with a TD 80 assuming they are of a different ratio ?

Surely all that torque can be converted to motion , bigger wheels or swapping diffs with a TD 80 assuming they are of a different ratio ?

AFAIK Shayne, the diffs are the same as the HDJ manual. The autos are lower geared as we know from those going to 37" or even 44" wheels.

I'm running 33" but I think the top speed is down as a consequence. It's a bit odd really, but with the main power at 1,700 - 2,500 rpm, it's not much use for speed whatever gearing you have.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hio all,

Does installing turbo on 1HZ80 will cause problem on the pistons etc?

If yes, how do you prevent it?

Not sure but from what I was told my my cousin the mechanic that rebuilt my engine if i reminder correctly...... the turbo version being 1HDT is direct injection & the other without is indirect injection. I'm sure there is a difference in injectors & pistons & possibly other bits as I was made aware of.

I would seek to find out exactly the difference first & see what road it leads down to.

1HZ is indirect injection;
compression ratio 22.4:1.

1HD is direct injection;
compression ratio 18.6:1.

The pistons are different, the 1HD are supposedly "twin walled" whatever that means.

There's loads of info on the interweb, but the only recommendation (I found) for turboing a 1HZ was from the manufacturer of a kit, and they would, wouldn't they?

There are a lot of 1hz in oz iirc. I think kits are available from oz too. Maybe one of our friends down under can shed some light on the subject..

Aha thanks a lot for the replies folks.

Hope can hear more from others too

Hi Horokuru,
I installed a turbo kit on my hzj75.
It runs much smoother now. The difference when driving uphill is remarkable.
I've driven around 20000 kms with it now and didn't have any issues so far.
Boost pressure is a modest 0,5 bar and I don't drive faster than 110 kph on the motorway although it can go much faster.
I'm very happy with it!
On the other hand, my 80 with the 24 valve HDFT engine is still in another league and drives way better than the turboed Hzj.
FWIW : if you can afford it, go for the HDFT engine and gearbox and if you decide to put a kit on the 1hz, treat it gently.
Good luck!
Wout

Hi Horokuru,
I installed a turbo kit on my hzj75.
It runs much smoother now. The difference when driving uphill is remarkable.
I've driven around 20000 kms with it now and didn't have any issues so far.
Boost pressure is a modest 0,5 bar and I don't drive faster than 110 kph on the motorway although it can go much faster.
I'm very happy with it!
On the other hand, my 80 with the 24 valve HDFT engine is still in another league and drives way better than the turboed Hzj.
FWIW : if you can afford it, go for the HDFT engine and gearbox and if you decide to put a kit on the 1hz, treat it gently.
Good luck!
Wout

Thanks for the reassurance hehehe

Berrima Diesel in Oz is probably the premier diesel servicing and rebuilding place in Australia for 4WD. They do offer and fit a turbo for the 1HZ (see http://www.berrimadiesel.com/home/). They are absolutely first class and honest and would not give you any advice that was just based on making money.

I suggest you contact them with any questions and they will be able to give you factual answers from experience.

Your better advised to buy a factory turbo motor. The earlier HZ has stronger pistons than the newer ones. The HZ doesn't have a boost compensated IP, so when fuel is added to feel the power at the upper revs, its over fuelling at lower revs (you can add an altitude compensator, but it doesn't compensate as much as a HD)They will last a while if you don't increase the fuel too much, but the temptation of the added power is hard to resist :) good thing is there about 30% the price of a factory turbo engine if you need to replace it.

To answer your Q, yes you can, but get the A/F ratio set correctly to the boost psi

Your better advised to buy a factory turbo motor. The earlier HZ has stronger pistons than the newer ones. The HZ doesn't have a boost compensated IP, so when fuel is added to feel the power at the upper revs, its over fuelling at lower revs (you can add an altitude compensator, but it doesn't compensate as much as a HD)They will last a while if you don't increase the fuel too much, but the temptation of the added power is hard to resist :) good thing is there about 30% the price of a factory turbo engine if you need to replace it.

To answer your Q, yes you can, but get the A/F ratio set correctly to the boost psi

Mine was 1996. Is it the newer HZ or?

Back