Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo replacement

LC80tim

Country Flag
england
have got more oil passing the turbo seals than I would like so think it’s time for a new turbo, there’s lots out there on eBay but are they any good ?
Any advise on possible places to purchase turbo would be gratefully received, I live in the midlands but I would rather get a replacement rather than rebuilding my turbo ( make less time off the road as only vehicle ) might be doing a intercooler at the same time.
Cheers Tim

Might be worth uprating to the 100 series one being a EFI version for better boost. This i'm interning to do soon. Just need to make a adapter plate to house the inlet hose fitting.

Go with a GTurbo (https://gturbo.com.au) my choice would be BadBoy specs. This turbocharger with good injection pump tune will improve the drivability of your truck to modern standards. It wont come cheap but you get more than enough for the money spendt

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
oem if your happy with its max output. or the ones mentioned above if your after more.

I certainly wouldn't buy cheap, the oem unit is very reliable with longevity.

Buy genuine

Not for one moment do I think Toyota make these ( they buy them in and put a big chunk on top ) so think you can get at least the same quality without the price, some stuff genuine for sure but not in this case

The way i see it is turbo mechanics are very simple and without precision they would fail almost instantly , so the only questionable factor is the quality of material used and even then its only the turbine wheel that can fail which again i believe would fail so quickly the manufacturer would be left bankrupt with lots of stock and no buyers in short order .

I googled maxspeedingrods before choosing to buy from them and despite them supplying racing parts etc internationally i couldn't find a word of complaint about them on any forum on the world wide web .

Rebuild plans for the original turbo have been pretty much forgotten given my truck while boosting at 14psi has been thrashed all the way to Romania and back 3 times , twice hauling a 750kg trailer at 70 or 80mph without turbo problems .

That said i respect the fact i took a gamble which is unnecessary if your happy to pay a premium for genuine parts .

The problem with turbos branded and unbranded is reputation. Buying unbranded is only a gamble if you've never used them before like Shayne's example. My cousin in the city brings unbranded turbos in from Taiwan but there just as good as the original without the price tag and for all the vehicles his fitted had no issues at all for all these years. His awaiting his next order of 100 of them now having run out months ago.

So my feeling is experience pays dividends.

I was trying to decide between Wink 4x4 and G-Turbo...

Both have excellent reviews and similar performance. In the end I went dot Wink due to locality and I’m glad I did as I needed lots of help getting boost/fuel settings right, and they were very responsive and helpful.

The performance is staggering - but you need a performance clutch to handle the power. With auto you need a valve body and or torque converter upgrade.

The performance is staggering - but you need a performance clutch to handle the power. With auto you need a valve body and or torque converter upgrade.

Which clutch did you go for? I just went the gturbo route and bought a NPC clutch in from australia which was eye waterlingly expensive (almost as much as the turbo)

What $$$ was on the Winx, Guy?

Sorry - been offline for a while. List price is €1500 but I expect they're open to a discussion about a club discount or group purchase.

Which clutch did you go for? I just went the gturbo route and bought a NPC clutch in from australia which was eye waterlingly expensive (almost as much as the turbo)

I'm auto... haven't fitted the valve body yet but added a transmission cooler.

I've been running one from here in my 90 for 2 or 3 years without complaint http://www.maxspeedingrods.co.uk/ct26-turbo-toyota-landcruiser-4-2l-1hd-ft-turbocharger.html

Thanks for the link, I eventually went for this turbo, when I signed up for a account I got a ‘welcome coupon’ so £20 off, so total cost was £130 (‘yes £130’) delivered to the door, what can I say a bit cheaper than genuine lol
Should be here in the next day or two then I plan on making up a front mount intercooler kit that should come in about £200 ish so what can I say I’m a cheapskate :) a egt gauge and some tweaking and see how it goes.
At least a intercooler will catch any bits if the turbo lets go lol

Thanks for the link, I eventually went for this turbo, when I signed up for a account I got a ‘welcome coupon’ so £20 off, so total cost was £130 (‘yes £130’) delivered to the door, what can I say a bit cheaper than genuine lol
Should be here in the next day or two then I plan on making up a front mount intercooler kit that should come in about £200 ish so what can I say I’m a cheapskate :) a egt gauge and some tweaking and see how it goes.
At least a intercooler will catch any bits if the turbo lets go lol

Good luck with that Tim. I hope you don't need the luck though.

Sorry - been offline for a while. List price is €1500 but I expect they're open to a discussion about a club discount or group purchase.
€1500 eh? :think:

have got more oil passing the turbo seals than I would like so think it’s time for a new turbo, there’s lots out there on eBay but are they any good ?
Any advise on possible places to purchase turbo would be gratefully received, I live in the midlands but I would rather get a replacement rather than rebuilding my turbo ( make less time off the road as only vehicle ) might be doing a intercooler at the same time.
Cheers Tim
Hi,
I got a refurb/exchange about 50k ago from AET Turbos in Wakefield for my 80 and had no problems whatsoever. Also used them for a replacemnt for my daughters Golf TDi that she ripped the sump off andfried the seals!
Regards

Back