Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre choice

Garage
Morning guys,

Tyres. I'm going to take your advice and opt for the slightly larger 285/75 tyre size.
Using blackcircles I've narrowed it down to 2 choices.

General All Terrain 2 @ £104.39 each (But get £15 off if I buy 4)
obj16003660?view=2885.jpg

--OR--
Hankook Dynapro MT @ £105.54 each
obj16003762?view=2885.jpg

I won't be doing any major offroading as such, just a few lanes, few pay and play days etc.
Will be going to Morocco in August so being better in sand would be useful to me. I'm using the car everyday at the moment but once I get back from Morocco I shall be using another car.

What should I get?

AT2s will probably be more pleasant to live with everyday on-road. They'll be fine in sand but no idea how cut-resistant they might be to the gravel tracks you'll be on in Maroc. :?

The Hankooks are probably tougher but will be noisier on road and might give a slightly rougher ride. They won't handle as well on tar but will be superior in many UK off-road situations (i.e. MUD!)
My 2c!

Cheers,

I might have 5 x 285/75 - 16 BFG MT's on alloys for sale soon. Still in good condition with loads of tread left.

Although I don't run them, I quite like the look of the Hankooks & don't mind a bit of extra road noise from the Pro Comp MT's I do run :)

What are you going to be replacing your tyres with then Paul? I might be interested in your BFG MT's...

Paul said:
I might have 5 x 285/75 - 16 BFG MT's on alloys for sale soon. Still in good condition with loads of tread left.

How soon is soon, as I need them for Clanfield on the 27th?

I'm kind of leaning towards the Hankooks but the reviews of the General tyres seem very good.
When you say the performance of MT tyres on tar is poor, are we talking noticable on normal driving on a wet surface on only if you swerve or brake violently that you'll notice a difference?

I've never had a MT tyre before, on my previous 4x4s (Grand Cherokee and Nissan Patrol) I had Michelin and I think either Avon or Vredestein tyres and they where good enough for my needs then. Hmm...

I'm viewing tyres at the moment, but can't find any the correct speed rating. What is the speed rating of those two? I can find only Q(99mph) for the Generals and the Hankooks. You may need to be careful there, that said Toyota spec'd some 7.50x16 and they don't usually come in S(113mph) rating.

I realise that sustained running at 112mph in an 80 is unlikely, but that if that is the OE requirements it may be that it is not acceptable (to ins/VOSA/any other nose poker inner :roll: ) to fit q rated tyres. For example, you wouldn't be allowed to fit them in Germany - Not up to TuV and Homologation specs.

Just a thought... I would like some 285s but I'd like to be covered/legal too. The highest rated 285/75r16s appear to be the BFG AT at R(106mph) and about £40 more each tyre.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think both the tyres you are looking at are excellent choices but I can't help much further than that...

I have BFG AT's on my Colorado & they work really well on that truck; MUX has the 35" Pro Comp MT's fitted but with a 4" lift so wouldn't be too representative for your means. But, I have been very surprised at how civilised they seem to be on't tarmac...

I don't go very fast in MUX though - I did a mercy dash a couple of weeks back to pick up the daughter while I was running late... Quite a white knuckle ride but that was more to do with the poor way I had instyalled my lift. MUX has been receiving to TLC from the pro's so once I have him back & will be able to offer a more objective opinion on my setup.

I certainly don't have to worry about hitting 112mph!!!

On the BFG's i've had the AT and the MT and don't notice any difference on the road, well none worth mentioning anyway.
Had the GGAT2 and found it was very good but does wear quite a bit faster than the BFG, saying that though i would go for the GGAT2 if i had a newish truck with things like traction control, but on an 80 the BF's are fine.
I will probably do a wheel and tyre change so will get rid of mine as a set as i want steel wheels.
I won't have changed them by the time Clanfield comes around but you can certainly have a look at them.

EDIT, just saw that Gav registered first interest in the wheels/tyres, maybe he would do a deal for building me a back bumper/wheel carrier ;)

My Toyo AT's are an S which is right for the car but they're 285x75x18 and the smaller sizes I've seen have a lower rating for some reason.

Thanks for the replies.

Would driving a MT tyre on tarmac everyday wear it down quicker or damage it?

I seem to get good mileage out of both AT and MT, but only really compared this directly on the BFG's, not sure about other makes of MT

James Rothwell said:
Thanks for the replies.

Would driving a MT tyre on tarmac everyday wear it down quicker or damage it?

I suspect driving style will have as much affect as anything...

Paul said:
EDIT, just saw that Gav registered first interest in the wheels/tyres, maybe he would do a deal for building me a back bumper/wheel carrier

That might work out nicely ;-) What has happened to your creation though Paul? I was looking forward to seeing what you were up to...

Everything on hold at the mo as harvest is on and doing a good impression of a headless chicken.
I am looking into getting a piece of steel formed into channel for the bumper that would do most of the work for me and would be easy to copy in the future ;) Just a few cuts and welds for the whole job.

I think I shall go with the Hankook MT option, especially as I want a tyre with a cut resistant sidewall for rocks and the like.

Will be testing them out at the pay and play day on the 27th!
I shall update this thread and let you know my thoughts.

Back