Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre help! Need expert advice

sam89

Country Flag
australia
Ok so situation is, i am in the market for new tyres for my 105 series. I had ordered and paid for 5x 35" nitto mud grapplers and was later told they are unavailable in Australia. So i have been looking at other tyres such as simex et2 but cannot find any available but i have found some maxxis m8060 trepador bias in a 35x12.5r16 i have been told by the supplier these are not the competition stick treps that come in 37" plus so would run on road like any other bias ply tyre. My problem is i have spoken to a few local shops in regards to fitting and they want nothing to do with it as i will still be driving the car on road on occasion and dont feel these are a safe tyre even though they are dot approved. My question is has anyone ran these on road and what was your experience? The car is not a daily drive but i do drive it to camping locations, beaches and sometimes on weekends. The reason i am after such aggressive tyres as i do compete in it as a winch truck and rock crawler. I am trying to find the most aggressive tyre possible to be also driven on road conditions occasionally without being a safety risk. I understand they will wear much faster that standard mt tyres also but am more concerned about safety aspects.

The tyres are also dot rated, and on the maxxis website for the bias ply treps it states "To improve on-road stability and performance, the tyre also features nylon belt reinforcement for extra high-speed stability while improving puncture resistance." Which leads me to belive they can be driven on roads

Please any advice is welcomed, i am no expert so please feel free to tell me i am being an idiot if this is a stupid idea.

Last edited:
Well i bought them. Will be fitted up once engine is complete not going to run beadlocks at this stage see how they go on standard steelies if i roll too many beads lit bush ill lock them up. Will post on road results once ive done some kms on them

I have to say I wouldn’t run Simex type tyres on road except when I needed then at the ‘other end’ my choice would be to have a second set of wheels and run a better road/off-road tyre for beach and tarmac, swapping to the swampers/Trepadors when I needed them. Those are not cheap tyres, putting aside the handling and noise on road they’ll wear badly on tarmac and drastically shorten their useful life

I really only drive the car on weekends so hopefully they last. I have spoken to a bloke who has used them on his daily for the past 24months with no problems averaging around 500km a week, said they do wear quicker than your average muddy but nothing ridiculous, saying that his car weighs much less than mine. But after speaking to a maxxis rep they have said they have been refined for better wear and drivability on road so ill let you know how they ride and wear when i have the car back on the road

I know a few people that have ran them. They are super load and likely to suffer from shaking unless balanced very well.

Don't see an issue running them on the road. Lots of people run the simex tread pattern here on the road.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah thanks mate, i dont doubt its probably gonna sound like an small aircraft taking off but i can deal with that for the amount of earth these things look like they move.
Also spoke to a bloke here in AUS that has ran them on his 80 for a year now and said he has had no issues and definitely not the extreme wear some people talk about. Also doesnt run beadlocks and has ran them down to 8psi without losing beads.

They are meant to be a really good tyre and if I was looking for a set of muds would certainly go for these.

Back