Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre myth

Yorkshire4x4

Country Flag
uk
Hi LC owners and experts can some please bust the following myth .
If one tyre dies then you would have to change all four tyres.
Yesterday mr driver side general grabber at2 265/70r16 tyre I noticed sidewel damage peeling off. I could not get hold of this tyre nor replace all four yet...too expensive. So I replaced it with a Goodyear 265/70 16 all terain. Similar design but not 100% match ...Will the suspension survive ?? I dont go off road or use my diff cos shes and old colorado 52 plate I just fo loads miles up and down the motorways. 1st pic the replacement ..pic 2 the other tyres AT grabber. ...Pic 3 the damaged one.
Thank you reading/taking time out to reply ..
IMG-20200729-WA0021.jpeg
IMG-20200729-WA0023.jpeg
IMG-20200728-WA0006.jpeg

Myth... but I do tend to keep tyres on the same axle in the same state of wear to minimise any undue diff and steering wear (so either rotate all four in a sequence as CG says, or swap fronts to backs). I try to avoid different makes on the same axle as (a) the sizes can be quite different and (b) even similar patterns can have very different handling characteristics, e.g. wet weather braking. My preference is to replace in pairs, by axle. Also spreads the cost. I certainly wouldn't worry about your suspension as mentioned in the OP - that's the least of your issues.

+1 its a myth. You won't notice any difference.
Rotating tyres is a good thing to do, If you use the spare in the rotation the tyres will last 20% longer but like CG I change 4/5 at a time. I always put white lettering to the inside.

It's all about tyre diameter. Any discrepancy in diameter leads to a difference in rotational speed. This difference is then handled by the differentials, that's their purpose. If the difference is big, the diffs will rotate faster than they are designed to do over time. So, it's all about how big the difference is, and how much extra wear on the diffs you are willing to take.
If the difference in rotational speed is big enough, the ABS will start complaining, and any Anti Skid System will go bananas.
Also, even a small difference can make it difficult to disengage a diff lock. If you have a CDL, put the bigger tyre up front so that you can align the front-rear rotational speed by driving in a curve for releasing the diff lock.

In vehicles with a gear based centre diff like the 90 series it doesn't matter.

In soft roaders or AWD soccer mum cars (Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru Forester) with a viscous centre diff it does matter as in some situations you can overheat the centre diff and render it useless.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys I've learnt so much ..I will put the back ones to the front so they are both the same ..

I always change both tyres on the same axle if one needs replacing. Keeps wear and tread depth the same.

Back