Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre size Q?

JamMud

Country Flag
jamaica
Hi. I am trying to figure out if a 285/75 16 would fit on my 1995 5 door 70 series. Photo of type of rim attached. currently the tyre size is 235/85 16. Would a 285 20170306_171251.jpg rub on radius arm at full lock? This is a DD but no highways. Thanks

285's will fit but not be safe as they need to be on a rim at least 2" wider. 245's are as wide as you want to go on those rims.

285's will fit but not be safe as they need to be on a rim at least 2" wider. 245's are as wide as you want to go on those rims.
Thanks for the response. Do you know what width these are? If I go for a new rim to fit 285s what width should I get and...what offset? Thanks for your time.

Those wheels you have are 6" I think but the 285's need at least an 8" wheel to be right. I don't know about the offset but am running 8" 80 wheels on my 95 with 265/75's and a 2" lift and that works fine. One of the forum lads is running 285's on 80 rims on his 95 but even with a 2"lift there have been clearance issues.
Shayne on the forum is running big tyres on his 90 but I dont know what he has done to achieve this.

Last edited:
Best advice anyone can give you Jam is to search the web and find a truck to copy because its all been done before .

I don't know but i am inclined to think a 2" lift on the LJ70 will allow for 285'/75's on 16x8 minus 30ish offset rims , which for me begs the question will 16x10 zero offset with a 305 tyre fit ?

It doesn't look to me like you have a lift which makes all the difference .

How about telling us a bit more about yourself and your truck , are you just buying bigger tyres because you need new ones anyway or might this be the first step towards a highly modified truck ?

I just wanted bigger tyres and 4/5 years later i'm still here and still modifying :crazy:

Best advice anyone can give you Jam is to search the web and find a truck to copy because its all been done before .

I don't know but i am inclined to think a 2" lift on the LJ70 will allow for 285'/75's on 16x8 minus 30ish offset rims , which for me begs the question will 16x10 zero offset with a 305 tyre fit ?

It doesn't look to me like you have a lift which makes all the difference .

How about telling us a bit more about yourself and your truck , are you just buying bigger tyres because you need new ones anyway or might this be the first step towards a highly modified truck ?

I just wanted bigger tyres and 4/5 years later i'm still here and still modifying :crazy:

Hi Shayne.
The LC is a 1995 70/LC2 (coils all around) 5 door 5spd with a KZT1. I have had it for about a year and have been going through to fix different systems-brakes fuel etc. The tyres I think are about 4 or 5 years old and worn but not done. I just do not have confidence in them as I have had sidewall failures not doing too much ruff stuff. So I would like to change to larger wheel with MT tread.

Its a DD and to be honest I like the look of MT large diameter/width etc. I would get new rims (black, steel) for wider tyres and would do a 2inch/50mm lift once it doesnt have much of a knock on for other modifications. Or I could just do 265/75 16 MT and spray my current rims.

Other consideration is that the same feelers I put out some time ago when I wanted an old 4wd that got me the LC previously got me a 95 Samurai which has been...restored...but not modified too much. Maybe considering to make the sammy the toy and be more sensible with the LC.

Both would need to be able to handle hilly trails for the w.e.

What brand lift do you recommend for the 4 coil LC?

Thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is my daily driver with a 1kz-te engine approx 10,000 miles a year and the only downside i can think of is maybe i use a little more fuel than a standard truck .

All 137.JPG

As you can see we have different trucks so i'm not best placed to advise you but i run a Pedders 2" suspension lift under a body lift and 285/75 on 16x8 -30 something offset rims .

This is my daily driver with a 1kz-te engine approx 10,000 miles a year and the only downside i can think of is maybe i use a little more fuel than a standard truck .

View attachment 123583

As you can see we have different trucks so i'm not best placed to advise you but i run a Pedders 2" suspension lift under a body lift and 285/75 on 16x8 -30 something offset rims .
Nice. Thanks for the input. Heres my 70.
20170318_160027.jpg

Back