Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tyre size question [sorry] 285/75 vs 265/70

Waldamar

Supporter
Country Flag
england
As some of you may be aware I'm the proud new owner of a lovely VX spec. 80 - lot's of nice bits including 3 " lift and 285/75 BFG Mud terrains on nicely refurbed wheels.

Now the tyres are a bit to noisy and, I fear, not ideal for towing [but I'd like to keep them come winter, or for an occasional play]

A set of All terrains are available locally, but they are 265/70
My present rims are marked 16x8 JJ

So the questions :- Are the 265/70s too small? Are they much different from the 285's? Will they fit my rims? [I'd rather source a set of "summer" wheels and save the hassle of tyre changes.]
Thanks in advance and your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you intend spending most of your time on the black stuff towing, then I would consider road biased tyres. Those of which you speak will be slightly (20mm) narrower and slightly smaller. There are Tyre size calculators if you have a Google. It would have left the factory with 275/70 R16 tyres but can take quite a bit larger without re-gearing. Search for tyres on here and I’m sure you’ll find many avthread debating one against another. Truth is it maybe down to what you can actually get hold of.

As Rich has said really, they will fit but they’ll be narrower and a tad smaller in diameter, here’s a tyre calculator if you need one...

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 08.00.51.jpg

265/75 is a much better size, as long as we are talking 16" rims. They are just a tad over the factory standard. And slightly narrower makes the truck drive nicer with a bit better grip and less wear.
Another issue is that mud-terrains are useless for winter as they don't have siping at all. The bfg a/t ko2 are fairly good for winter use.

Edit: i see now that you have a 3" lift. You will need something to fill those wheel wells. 265/70-16 will look tiny. I suggest you try one on if you can. See if you can live with it .

If you intend spending most of your time on the black stuff towing, then I would consider road biased tyres. Those of which you speak will be slightly (20mm) narrower and slightly smaller. There are Tyre size calculators if you have a Google. It would have left the factory with 275/70 R16 tyres but can take quite a bit larger without re-gearing. Search for tyres on here and I’m sure you’ll find many avthread debating one against another. Truth is it maybe down to what you can actually get hold of.
Thanks for the reply - seems the 265s / 70s will be too small - frustrating as just down the road and £200 for the set!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
265/75 is a much better size, as long as we are talking 16" rims. They are just a tad over the factory standard. And slightly narrower makes the truck drive nicer with a bit better grip and less wear.
Another issue is that mud-terrains are useless for winter as they don't have siping at all. The bfg a/t ko2 are fairly good for winter use.

Edit: i see now that you have a 3" lift. You will need something to fill those wheel wells. 265/70-16 will look tiny. I suggest you try one on if you can. See if you can live with it .
Thanks for the reply - 265/70s too small then.................... and my M/Ts are not ideal summer or winter?!
Decision now is whether to sell the M/Ts and go over to A/Ts [ideally BFG but the money vein is drying up]...................................... alas I know from experience that 2nd hand tyres never bring in much in the way of funds.

I ran 266/70/16 on mine for many years as that’s what it came with (before I found this site and rectified things) and although undersized they were fine on road.

Last edited:
I run 285.75.16 for towing. All terrain and they are great. I usually buy second hand when they come up for sale.
The ats last for years.

Last edited:
Muds are fine on asphalt when it’s dry, they’re skittish in the wet and useless / dangerous on ice as @uHu said.

The only time they’re good in winter is in fresh deep snow.

AT’s are generally good all rounders.

I like KO2s Offroad though... :thumbup: :clap:

Thanks to all for the advice, I'm going to pass on the 265/70's so now shopping for 285/ 75's - best price thus far for four BFG A/T's is around £660 from Germany! [free postage] weird! You'd of hoped someone in England could've bettered that price...........................
I'm also considering Coopers - about £80 less a set -and then the super cheap, Hyfli, Radar, Roadcruzer etc. - any thoughts?

Forget coopers mate.just my opinion.
I have coopers. On the camping bus// for thee money I think the bfg win.
Interested in hearing other people's views on it though.

I've run a couple of sets of STTs Karl, on my Defender and on the 80 series now (285/75/16s) - seem okay. done about 20,ooo miles I guess so far.

Re the OP - you could look at 255/85/16s - lot of the Landy lads run that size, tall tyre, but low rolling resistance.

I've run a couple of sets of STTs Karl, on my Defender and on the 80 series now (285/75/16s) - seem okay. done about 20,ooo miles I guess so far.

Re the OP - you could look at 255/85/16s - lot of the Landy lads run that size, tall tyre, but low rolling resistance.
thanks for that - would I need spacers though?

My personal view is 255 is too narrow.

When you were quoted for BFG AT’s Waldmar, were they KO2 or KO?

The mod between them is good, and theres a lot of dealers trying to clear stock of the old KOs. Worth a check.

@Waldamar, where was that price from??

Ill be after a new set of BFG muds shortly, going 285's

I'd have BFG over anything else all day long. Other than when I can't afford them. I have Coopers on the Hilux and I love them, but have a set for the 80 and feel they're poor performers.

Thing is, it's one thing to say this tyre or that tyre, but it has to be in the context of the vehicle. I ran BFG AT on a LWB Colorado and they were epic. Put the same pattern on an 80 and in the Lincomb woods it was like being on a sled. I swapped for 255.85.16 and the thing was almost unstoppable.

I run BFG ATs on the 80 on tarmac and it's super. Mud tyres genuinely are at their best in mud. I wish I'd used the ATs in Morocco. They'd have been a better choice than the SST

I’m losing faith trying to get 305/70/16 BFG AT KO2s

Nobody in Europe offers/stocks them, incl the UK :?

I've just been quoted £206 each for :icon-surprised: BFG KM3's but my Cooper STT's still have a lot of life in them so I won't be buying them just yet. :angry-nono:

Back