Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres

David Ketley

Country Flag
great_britain
I might need new tyres shortly but see that a set can make a big difference to the mpg.
I will be using the vehicle off road in Spain mainly so dry conditions.
Any recommendations for a good quality tyre that gives a better mpg?

I might need new tyres shortly but see that a set can make a big difference to the mpg.
I will be using the vehicle off road in Spain mainly so dry conditions.
Any recommendations for a good quality tyre that gives a better mpg?
If your going to buy road tyres and drive in hot dry rugged areas expect punchers or driving miles on hot gravel roads can melt your tyres away , I use 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 tyres they are very popular tyres here in Cyprus as they last a long time and good for the high temps and dry hot gravel roads when you go off the beaten track, and air them at 40 psi on road use , they are a stiff sidewall tyre and like to run at high psi , at that psi I haven't noticed any lower mpg than road tyres , but they handle much better on motorway bends at speed than the standard road tyres I had on when I bought the truck , and I can expect 80 to 90 k miles life out of them . and in snow and off road conditions they are great , they look fantastic as well , but they are not cheap .

Thanks for that. The tyres on the vehicle Kumho I think show wear on the outer on the front. It looks as though the tracking is out but am sure I saw somewhere that a change to another make like the 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 solved the problem? Still not taken delivery of the vehicle yet.

Thanks for that. The tyres on the vehicle Kumho I think show wear on the outer on the front. It looks as though the tracking is out but am sure I saw somewhere that a change to another make like the 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 solved the problem? Still not taken delivery of the vehicle yet.
Going from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17 gives an extra 13mm ground clearance from 222mm to 235 mm but the BFs A/T tyres been world known for extra long life and great on/off road performance is worth that bit extra price for these tyres , they improve the 120 and in my view look great . if you look at the official tyre ratings of these tyres they are amongst the best you will find .

Very high noise rating 76 db it does matter as I do a lot of motorway driving.
As usual it's a trade off.
Dave

What Tony said. I haven't noticed the BFGs KO2s being particularly noisy. I do get occasional comments from my wife about my hearing....... but let's just say that it can be selective.:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very high noise rating 76 db it does matter as I do a lot of motorway driving.
As usual it's a trade off.
Dave
They are 74db its the BF mud tryes that are 76 . I drive mostly motorway and with them at 40psi and I can not hear any tyre noise at all . standed tyres are 29psi .

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the Landcruiser is prone to wear the outer on front tyres no matter what the camber castor settings. Is there a tyre choice that avoids this problem?
Anyone tried these:
The Geolandar H/T G056 is Yokohama's highway terrain tyre, designed for a comfortable drive. It is best for drivers of four-wheel drives and SUVs who spend limited time off-road and are looking for a quiet, comfortable ride with long tread life?

Seems the Landcruiser is prone to wear the outer on front tyres no matter what the camber castor settings
Yes I've noticed this.I'm running 32 psi with Cooper at3s.the last time the tracking was done the bloke said that one of the uprights was slightly bent & it took some work to get the camber right.I think this was a consequence of the lower ball joint letting go.Maybe tyre rotation is the way to go?

Back