Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UhF and VHF

warrenpfo

My understanding is that around the world each country uses bits of the UHF spectrum between 300 and 3000mhz and VHF 30 to 300mhz. So why can't you get a radio that with the right software and a pc you can change the band or at least a radio that covers the whole spectrum.

I want to get my license but if you can't use the same radio or license around the world what's the point. How to world travellers do it?

Maybe there is a way and it's not legal but just wanted to ask

Last edited:
For the Amateur bands there are fairly standardised frequencies with a few small variations so a typical HAM radio does what you want but you need a licence. In the UK the entry level license will allow you to use those frequencies here in the UK but not in other countries. You need the Advanced license to take advantage of reciprocal license arrangements with a lot of countries that will let you operate legally in those countries. Modern CB's usually have a way of changing country settings but I think they tend to cover Europe and possibly US standards, don't know about anywhere more exotic.

Thanks Jon. Is it legal to own a ham so long as you don't transmit but you can listen? In SA you can't even buy a radio without a license first.

Maybe I should just do my amature license anyway just for some fun

It is legal to own but not transmit and many people do that. The entry level (Foundation) license exam is pretty easy to do and would mean you could transmit in the UK and give you an idea if you'd like to progress to Intermediate and then Advanced license which are progressively harder but not super hard if you can spend enough time revising. Often the Foundation can be done in a day, with tuition in the morning and the exam in the afternoon. If you have even a bit of aptitude for it you will do the Foundation easily.

I passed the Foundation course, so it cant be hard.

The downside of the foundation licence is that you are limited in power output and thus range - its ok if you can get onto a repeater aerial, but otherwise its not really different to CB.

If you do it, dont buy any kit, wait until you progress to intermediate or advanced - it all starts looking very sexy then !

You can then spend hours listening to people talk about what radio they are talking on......

Pete

Thanks Pete

My thinking was to progress as far as I could over winter for interest sake and then get a secondhand icon ic7000 as it will work out in SA when we go back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I passed the Foundation course, so it cant be hard.

The downside of the foundation licence is that you are limited in power output and thus range - its ok if you can get onto a repeater aerial, but otherwise its not really different to CB.

If you do it, dont buy any kit, wait until you progress to intermediate or advanced - it all starts looking very sexy then !

You can then spend hours listening to people talk about what radio they are talking on......

Pete
10 watts is enough power to talk to people thousands of k away on HF if that's what you want to do. More power increases your chances but with diminishing returns. I find the technology interesting but not too fussed about it as a way of communicating, there's usually a better option these days and I expect that's why if you listen around the bands it is mostly talk of what equipment is used or what ailment someone is suffering from!

Very true about the chat... GF's Dad is a radio Ham, he got into after being done for having illegal sideband CB's in the 70's. Most of his chat is with mad Russian's, and occasionally other guys in the UK. He does talk with his mate in NZ via the ham radio, but it also uses a bit of computer tech now as well (which is cool) his setup is quite good, with a unit in the car and on his quad, as well as a big set up at home. That rig at home still gives him the the power to cover big distances via 3 or 4 different aerials dotted around the place.

It is still used a bit here in Aus (certainly on some of the 4x4's around here you see a HF aerial as well as ones for 477mhz and 27mhz) but is no longer the primary system out in the bush as there is a subsidised sat phone instead. Even the Flying Doc's don't use it for calling in as much now, although in some areas I think it is still monitored, as they use the SelCall system that is built into newer HF radios.

Quick bit on HF from one of the Australian sites here.

Amateur radio is a very different hobby compared to what it was 30 years ago when I got my licence.There were no mobile phones back then and the legal CB's were no good for any real distance so the amateur bands held much more appeal. VHF/UHF repeaters usefully extended coverage for lower powered kit and nowadays, with the advent of digital or D Star radio, you can speak to someone on the other side of the world on your low powered digital tranceiver via a digital repeater using IP routing.
For me personally Ham radio has lost a lot of it's appeal as just a hobby but can still be very useful for comms in remote areas. JMO

Back