Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Underbody paint

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
My 120's having a paint job this winter,so while it's at the body shop I'm going to have it painted underneath as well.
Just wondering what you 'don't' paint underneath?

Obviously not; Exhaust,shocks and brake lines
What else should I not be painting?

Cheers

Although mine had only light rust on the frame and bash plates I wire brushed the frame and bash plates (including fuel tank guard ) with a grinder and drill wire disks and ( hand wire brush in places that were too awkward to reach with power tools ) treated them with jelonite rust killer then painted them with a German brand black gloss anti rust paint on the frame and bash plates and silver anti rust gloss paint on the underbelly from lidl that I got when they were on offer , then I waxoyled the lot with black waxoyle including rear axle and suspension front and rear control arms , took about 40 hours to do the complete job over a five day period back in May , I am extremely happy with the results , a messy job ( the waxoyle ) but very worth doing .

I did much the same as Tony, but as mine was in worse condition it took a lot, lot longer, and I was very thorough. After cleaning, treating, painting and undersealing, I did paint axles etc, but with black heatproof paint.

It gives you great satisfaction when you do it yourself knowing you have done a thorough job , getting someone to do the same thorough job for payment would cost buckets full of cash because of the labour time needed , plus you don't really know if they have done thorough job .

Absolutely spot on Tony. When I started, it didnt take long for me to get disheartened, getting filthy dirty every day, and joints (mine) complaining. I knew I had to press on, and as work continued and I could see the improvements, it spurred me on. + saving the buckets of cash you mention is a good motivation.
When work was finished, it gave a good sense of accomplishment, knowing it made a difference, and looked good, knowing I hadn't skimped, as someone doing it for me might have.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fully agree , gives a great peace of mind knowing its been done properly and knowing if there are any weak spots to keep a eye on incase of future treatment , and it also makes you bond with your Landcruiser more by knowing every inch of it .

While I was there, I made some bigger, thicker, black splashguards for each side, 4 total. + new fittings out of epdm.
I never did like those flimsy grey plastic things, always looked odd, now everything is black underneath and up around the wheel arches. Got the idea from the same stuff on my lj78 which have stood the test of time.

still not sure what I'm going to get painted or not but thanks for the input lads
guess I'll just have to get underneath and work it out
the most important places needing protection are obviously are the floor and chassis...

Think that's the way to go, they are all different states of corrosion, an once your under you will form your own plan of attack, like the rest of us. Unless you have a barn or dry covered area to work, it will be a struggle to say the least, this time of year. Good luck and persevere, it will be a good job well done.

Think that's the way to go, they are all different states of corrosion, an once your under you will form your own plan of attack, like the rest of us. Unless you have a barn or dry covered area to work, it will be a struggle to say the least, this time of year. Good luck and persevere, it will be a good job well done.
the 120's getting a respray this winter
so I need to tell the bodyshop what to treat and paint underneath...

The bodyshop wont need you to tell them what to treat and paint , they will know themselves if they know their trade well , but preparing , rust treating and painting the underneath will be a lot more time consuming than the top body because the top body is flat and easy access , the under carridge is a lot more treatment needed for the rust plus its not flat with easy access , the frame and crossmembers including in the engine bay and under body , wheel arches etc take a lot of time to do proper job or seems like hard work maybe because I wanted mine done right and I am 61 years old so not a spring chicken . to any trades man time is money and thats why I said it will take buckets full of cash to do a proper job , and the only way to know for sure its been done proper is by doing it yourself . it will be easy for the bodyshop to spray thick black paint or underseal to cover it up and it will look good , but only for a short while and will make the under body worse because it will rust even more under the paint .

Last edited by a moderator:
105402-84a2227dd4624e22fa9da90de0706d57.jpg

This was my old 90 series after it was under sealed and looks nice and clean.

Back