Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

up grade

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Hi to all. im just searching for different opinions. Ineed to up grade my 90 series.. I do a lot of trailer work and have just got a new tri axle flat bed 20ft trailer.. my trusty 90 is about to notch up 275,000 miles and in time im sure the trailer will become a bit of a hand full for it when loaded... im thinking 4.2 100 or 80 series. I don't care much for speed its the power more than anything.. PS I HATE electronics I like good old mechanics.i know I can fix em... any advice Cheers Higgy

I have a 1kz swb 90 , a d4d swb 90 and recently added a 24 valve 80 and i'm inclined to think the 100 is the natural upgrade from the 90 series .
But from what you say an 80 while being an entirely different vehicle from what you drive might suit you perfectly , imo its comfortable powerful and ponderous (it needs a fair bit of modification to make me happy but then so did my 90) .

As is a 100 might suit you better (i've never driven one) but the crux of the matter is finding either in good and cared for condition at a reasonable price so with that in mind i'd say search and test drive both until you find a good solid truck .

The 100 will be more refined but subject to rusting underneath and with a fair bit of electronics. The 80 is minimal electronics and strong as an ox but you’ll still need to check underneath and look at a few before finding a good’un.

Hi to all. im just searching for different opinions. Ineed to up grade my 90 series.. I do a lot of trailer work and have just got a new tri axle flat bed 20ft trailer.. my trusty 90 is about to notch up 275,000 miles and in time im sure the trailer will become a bit of a hand full for it when loaded... im thinking 4.2 100 or 80 series. I don't care much for speed its the power more than anything.. PS I HATE electronics I like good old mechanics.i know I can fix em... any advice Cheers Higgy
I have a 1kz swb 90 , a d4d swb 90 and recently added a 24 valve 80 and i'm inclined to think the 100 is the natural upgrade from the 90 series .
But from what you say an 80 while being an entirely different vehicle from what you drive might suit you perfectly , imo its comfortable powerful and ponderous (it needs a fair bit of modification to make me happy but then so did my 90) .

As is a 100 might suit you better (i've never driven one) but the crux of the matter is finding either in good and cared for condition at a reasonable price so with that in mind i'd say search and test drive both until you find a good solid truck .
Thanks for the reply..I do like the 80 but ithink they are over priced for a good one. ive been looking at a few 100s that have had spring conversions so non of that active ride nonsense. theres a few for 5/6 grand..and the early ones seem to have less electrical wizardry its a shame the 90s don't have a few more horses I think they are greatly underrated ive had mine for years its never let me down..

Last edited:
My 1KZ trounces both the 80 and the D4D after a few modifications , the 80 will always be a better towing vehicle though because of its weight .

My 1KZ trounces both the 80 and the D4D after a few modifications , the 80 will always be a better towing vehicle though because of its weight .
Thanks shayne. I suppose the weight difference between the 80 and 100 is minimal I have to consider this to keep vosa and the powers to be happy. is it worth looking at a d4d lc3/4/5.but I do need the higher GVW. the 4.2 engine does seem to be the one to look at.. things to ponder eh!!. could look at a disco.. (just kidding)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you use it mainly on the road for Towing, i would go for the 100 series.
But it has already been said, find one with minimal rust and a good service history.

If you use it mainly on the road for Towing, i would go for the 100 series.
But it has already been said, find one with minimal rust and a good service history.
Thanks I think your right. ive been drawn towards the 100 series.its just road use only but a lot of hard graft boats mainly but il move anything.. thanks for all the advice..Cheers

Thanks I think your right. ive been drawn towards the 100 series.its just road use only but a lot of hard graft boats mainly but il move anything.. thanks for all the advice..Cheers
Just an up date.. ive got my eye on a 100 series on ebay 147,ooo miles looks tidy no MOT and requires welding to back chassis.. garage/owner is not sure how bad it is and how much welding is needed..... is it common for rear chassis to go or cross members.. garage doesn't seem to know which.. welding doesn't bother me coz its what I do but its a bit of a trek from sandwich Kent just to av a peek..thanks

Just an up date.. ive got my eye on a 100 series on ebay 147,ooo miles looks tidy no MOT and requires welding to back chassis.. garage/owner is not sure how bad it is and how much welding is needed..... is it common for rear chassis to go or cross members.. garage doesn't seem to know which.. welding doesn't bother me coz its what I do but its a bit of a trek from sandwich Kent just to av a peek..thanks

Its common, not so much the rear chassis section but the body mounts.
Looks like a good project to me but give the electrics a good check out.

Its common, not so much the rear chassis section but the body mounts.
Looks like a good project to me but give the electrics a good check out.
Hi Andy..the garage has just got back to me and said it needs about £1000 spending on welding etc etc.and he quoted "it could do with replacing really"..... hes asking £4700... to be fair others ive looked at around the 5/6 grand mark aren't much better.... its all the other bits you find while sorting the ones you know about. ive noticed the best condition 100s are the petrols...EEEEEK!!

Hi Andy..the garage has just got back to me and said it needs about £1000 spending on welding etc etc.and he quoted "it could do with replacing really"..... hes asking £4700... to be fair others ive looked at around the 5/6 grand mark aren't much better.... its all the other bits you find while sorting the ones you know about. ive noticed the best condition 100s are the petrols...EEEEEK!!

A lot of the best condition 80's are petrol ones, just crying to have a decent 24V diesel dropped in.

A lot of the best condition 80's are petrol ones, just crying to have a decent 24V diesel dropped in.
I suppose if your restricted to a certain budget (like me) im always going be looking at trucks of a certain age and condition..it seems im looking at 8/10 grand to find one that I can just get in drive/put to work and not have to worry about rotting chassis and lord knows what else.. I do sometimes question why im so loyal to Toyota but what is the alternative ?... I don't think there is one.

... so non of that active ride nonsense...

Don't just dismiss AHC out of hand. A well maintained system will be reliable and the self levelling aspect of it should help when towing. I love the AHC on mine, just wafting around then leave it on comfort setting, playing on a twisty road then firm it up a couple of clicks, need a few inches more ground clearance off road then raise it, Aunty Doris needs a bit of help getting in then lower it a few inches.

But what's the future for "old"diesels? - tax, tax, more tax scrappage scheme I fear.

But what's the future for "old"diesels? - tax, tax, more tax scrappage scheme I fear.
I would consider a petrol. its not the MPG that worries me to be fair im sure if your light footed you can achieve decent figures.. its the reliability and longevity that would niggle at me.maybe its just me.. ive never owned one im sure you can put me straight..im in my mid 50s and a local garage told me at my age I don't have to worry about the phasing out of old diesels...."It wont happen in your life time mate". he says.. cheeky fugger.

Well.............. I've run a Tipi hire business for years, a reasonable amount of London work - then along comes Low Emmision Zone [LEZ] £100.00 EACH WAY! Funnily enough my customers didn't take to kindly to a £200 price hike.......................
The Gov. are in a tricky situation, diesel is the new devil yet they encouraged diesel sales - I reckon they'll be coming down hard on diesels 10 yr old or more [possibly softened by a s/scheme] so yes, in your lifetime................... petrol/lpg the way to go

Well.............. I've run a Tipi hire business for years, a reasonable amount of London work - then along comes Low Emmision Zone [LEZ] £100.00 EACH WAY! Funnily enough my customers didn't take to kindly to a £200 price hike.......................
The Gov. are in a tricky situation, diesel is the new devil yet they encouraged diesel sales - I reckon they'll be coming down hard on diesels 10 yr old or more [possibly softened by a s/scheme] so yes, in your lifetime................... petrol/lpg the way to go
I agree with you...God help us!!! I fetched a boat from a small marina under Putney bridge. got the shock of my life when the LEZ bill dropped on the mat.so the missus contacted them and pleaded my insanity... and bless em they let me off and told me don't be silly again.. couldn't believe it.. Bless em!

Any emissions based tax would be fairer based on the emissions from the last MOT for older vehicles. It's computerised and the info is there. People with well maintained vehicles are likely to have better emissions. Those using cleaner fuels like bio-diesel should have too. If there are no figures such as for a car registered abroad going into a LEZ or similar then manufacturers data can be used. It is the congestion charging / LEZ type zones that will be the sooner hit as those local gov areas given approval will be using the method to "clean up their air" (or grab money). Scrappage is just an incentive and most with older vehicles cannot afford new even with the scheme and of course they don't make 'em how they used to in so many ways. Bunker diesel in shipping is the big pollutant so a global problem and less easy. Locally emissions from heating boilers are a bigger culprit but taxing that will force some into more hardship as many have no economically close alternative to switch too. I just wish we had a clearer idea on future policy so it was easier to predict the cost so we could make the informed choice based on our usage.
I like the older better built more fixable stuff that Higgy alludes to in his first post as long as it's not too much of a corrosion issue (my welding needs more practice) and parts available which LCs seem decent (now hoping I redeemed myself from continuing the thread OT there). This is even though I am an electronic engineer by training. Well built and easy to maintain is just sensible especially environmentally as so much goes into production and shipping and disposal of vehicles.
I went 1KZ when I bought my LC last year (my 1st Toyota) but wife went petrol with her car as she had to regularly go into a city which may start charging (but now she is changing job to another town). I had a petrol Audi 100 MK2 with a 2.3 petrol that had done loads of miles when I bought it & no history and it had way over 200 thousand when I sold it because of mpg compared to diesel and increased usage. It was still running really sweet and I would expect a Toyota to be as good if decently maintained. I have read that LPG lessens the life though but I don't have enough knowledge / experience to comment with any certainty.

Any emissions based tax would be fairer based on the emissions from the last MOT for older vehicles. It's computerised and the info is there. People with well maintained vehicles are likely to have better emissions. Those using cleaner fuels like bio-diesel should have too. If there are no figures such as for a car registered abroad going into a LEZ or similar then manufacturers data can be used. It is the congestion charging / LEZ type zones that will be the sooner hit as those local gov areas given approval will be using the method to "clean up their air" (or grab money). Scrappage is just an incentive and most with older vehicles cannot afford new even with the scheme and of course they don't make 'em how they used to in so many ways. Bunker diesel in shipping is the big pollutant so a global problem and less easy. Locally emissions from heating boilers are a bigger culprit but taxing that will force some into more hardship as many have no economically close alternative to switch too. I just wish we had a clearer idea on future policy so it was easier to predict the cost so we could make the informed choice based on our usage.
I like the older better built more fixable stuff that Higgy alludes to in his first post as long as it's not too much of a corrosion issue (my welding needs more practice) and parts available which LCs seem decent (now hoping I redeemed myself from continuing the thread OT there). This is even though I am an electronic engineer by training. Well built and easy to maintain is just sensible especially environmentally as so much goes into production and shipping and disposal of vehicles.
I went 1KZ when I bought my LC last year (my 1st Toyota) but wife went petrol with her car as she had to regularly go into a city which may start charging (but now she is changing job to another town). I had a petrol Audi 100 MK2 with a 2.3 petrol that had done loads of miles when I bought it & no history and it had way over 200 thousand when I sold it because of mpg compared to diesel and increased usage. It was still running really sweet and I would expect a Toyota to be as good if decently maintained. I have read that LPG lessens the life though but I don't have enough knowledge / experience to comment with any certainty.
You make a good point..They (the powers to be) never consider our jobs and lives Waldamar mentions his customers not being happy when he has to hike his prices up to cover LEZ charges and I just DONT take boats/anything into London marinas or inside LEZ zone anymore I do loose out but customers don't want to pay the extra £200..you cant blame em...

Back