Updating AHC springs

Howmanygoes Jun 9, 2019

1. Howmanygoes

Howmanygoes Member I am in england

Map
    On a recent trip we may have overloaded the truck slightly as the height indicator was dropping into low without adjusting the position sensor.

AHC works normally without load.

Is it possible to up rate the system to a heavy duty spring as an interim till I can cough up for a full system swap out?

2. Lorin

Lorin Well-Known Member

Map
    IIRC it is. Some good info on Mud about this. Worth a bit of reading over there.

3. big-yin

big-yin Active Member I am in uk

Map
    Following this, mine dropped to low setting during recent camping trip with 6 of us in the 100 and towing a trailer tent. I'll have a look for the information on Mud too, thanks Lorin.

4. Jacob100

Jacob100 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    That’s the only time it’s ever happened to me. Pulling away with a camper trailer full of soaking wet canvas.

5. Ian Rubie

Ian Rubie Moderator I am in uk

Map
    King Springs KTRS-79 are the most commonly recommended upgrade springs for AHC equipped 100's.

I bought mine from Sparesbox in Oz. Delivery was fairly fast.

6. Jon Wildsmith

Jon Wildsmith Super Moderator Supporter Guru I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    if it's for an occasional load rather than constant I'd use new standard spec springs with 30mm spacers and air bags. If you don't let the AHC carry enough of the load the ride can get very bouncy because there isn't enough damping.

7. BobMurphy

BobMurphy Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Map
    I replaced my AHC Globes a couple of years ago. There are three grades out there - standard, heavier duty and really heavy duty.

I used the middle grade.

Towing a 2.6 ton mini-digger on my Plant Trailer the back was dragged down because the trailer hitch is a bit low. If I set the height to 'low' it wouldn't come back to 'normal', but if I left it in 'Normal' it stayed there. Whether this was a function of the globes I'm not sure, but the springs are soft and allow the suspension to drop to 'Low' so don't expect them to help with a heavy load much.

(My plan is to change the 50mm ball hitch on the Ifor GX 106 to a Clevis Hitch then use the pin on the 5-ton Dixon Bate Combination Hitch which will allow the trailer to sit level when the '100' is at 'Normal' height).

Bob.

8. karl webster

karl webster Land Cruiser Club sponsor Promoted Company Guru Land Cruiser Club Promoted Company

Map
    I do the airbags if you go down the spring route.

9. Howmanygoes

Howmanygoes Member I am in england

Map
    Cheers for the input guys. It’s a constant load now I have kitted out the back with travelling kit.

Think I will have to bite the bullet and swap out the AHC.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter