Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upgrades to UK bought 200 series

Ratmos

Country Flag
uk
Now that we know when our Hyundai is coming to the end of its PCP in May of 2021, we are firming up the modifications that we would do to a UK bought Land Cruiser for towing in Europe. (a New Zealand bought new Land Cruiser as previously considered, would be £75000 plus all the importing costs of around £3000) we are thinking of upgrades over time of the following and I am inviting comments from the the forum about this:

1. LED lighting upgrade particularly to headlights.
2. Extending wing mirrors to see past a 8' caravan.
3. Upgraded head unit to include Apple Play and Android Auto.
4. Helpers air bags for towing with under hood compressor as per Australian Project 2000.
5. Polybush and spring upgrade for more road/towing bias.
6. Wood grain in doors, centre insert upgrade to a brushed aluminium.
7. Possible remap for engine and transmission for road/towing bias.
8. 13 pin trailer electrics.
9. Adaptive cruise control upgrade.
10. Synthetic oil in engine transmission and axles.

There is no new 200 series in the UK. Haven't been for nearly 5 years now.

What exactly are you planning on towing ? And what sort of road conditions ?

Yes, sorry I didn't make it clear we are buying a used one in the UK and not in New Zealand although that would be very nice. We are towing our 2 tonne caravan on the very smooth European roads and hopefully avoiding the crowded potholes of the UK.

Maybe look at a new 150 ? May not be a V8 but on paper should handle your ask very well.

I haven't ever dragged anything in Europe, but lots of people on here have and should be able to help.

Toyota will put in the 13pin plug for you.. etc

Only thing you might need are the extended wing mirrors...

Unfortunately I have set my heart on a 200 series V8 because of its legendary reliability, power, resale value, spare parts availability and aftermarket goodies. Last year we drove 2400 miles and back to a northern Croatian island with our 7.89m L, 2.33m W twin axle caravan which was a challenge at times but mostly an absolute dream on European roads that are not as busy as the UK. Extending bolt on mirrors are available for the 200 but we don't know if they are wide enough for our caravan. I retire soon as will my wife. We both drive a lot for work and intend to drive only for pleasure so the 200 will be lucky to get out once a week. One thing that does concern me is whether the trailer electronics have to be changed to suit a 13 pin plug compared to a 7 pin.

Back