Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upper Control Arm

Richard Lorand

Country Flag
great_britain
Advice please

Having just moved house and loading the truck to the roof with all the garage and garden stuff I noticed a few cracking noises on bends and uneven roads the other day. Sliding under the truck I found the offside Upper Control Arm was snapped in the middle. Is it always best to replace both arms or is it a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it ?

Words of wisdom from the experts are always welcome.

Personaly ....if one failed on a safety critical item like this I would do both and if not a lifted vehicle only fit genuine parts ....

I think there are two parts to this answer. Yes as Grimbo says if one's gone the other may well be in trouble but part B is, these don't actually need replacing in pairs like you would, say springs. So if you can inspect it thoroughly and it's not faulty at all, replacing one won't suddenly unbalance everything.

while your'e at it i would strongly recommend changing upper and lower ball joints on both sides . And if your'e doing tjhe ball joints it might be a good time to change all the bushes ?

Thanks for the replies. The Coli has only done 140k and never had a tow bar fitted. I think the breakage occurred due to heavy loading and very uneven roads round here. While I was under there I did try rattling the other bushed bars and all seemed sturdy.

It's more common for the mounting points on the rear control arms to rot through than the arms themselves actually break. Strange. The upper control arms take the forces during deceleration mostly but if the bushes in the bottom arms have gone then there is more axle roatation and this could transferred to the top arms for sure. It is quite hard to detect bottom bush movement as the thing is built so well, but get a flat bar into the mounting against the outer eye of the arm and give is some umpo. Once one bush goes, the forces get transerred around to the others arms causing them to wear. In other words it very unusual for just one to go. Don not be tempted to fit those crappy split bushes. Nice and easy but rubbish in my experience. Yes Toyota are probably the best but Febest make some solid replacement ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again for the replies. Unfortunately I'm getting to the age that getting under and repairing things aren't as easy as they used to be so I tend to farm the work out to the local garage. I'm thinking about taking the truck to Overland Cruisers and let them give it the once over. Are they to be recommended ?

Yes..... Julian is the original and best Landcruiser expert and will give you impartial advice and not try and sell you something you don't need ..... so a definite yes

The rear bars don't carry any of the weight they just stop axle rotation and give fore/aft axle location so I don't think load would have played a part.....inspect the broken edges of the link as this should give a clue to the cause of the failure ....take a picture and post it on here .....as you say replace the broken link and then take vehicle and the broken part to Julian for him to have a look and inspect the vehicle ....

The link has already been replaced by the local garage and I guess is sitting at the bottom of a scrap skip. But thanks for the info re Julian, although I have read some very unflattering reviews.

Sorry to hear that about Julian ....I can only speak as I find and he has always given me good advice and actively dissuaded me from buying some kit from him that was not suited to my needs and in doing so saved me a fair bit of money to his detriment .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back