Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent advice required on a CT26 (17201 17010) Turbo

devonnick

So, yesterday morning the last job remaining get's done. This was the freeing off of lazy calipers due to no use for three years and new pads. I took it for a test drive and the brakes were transformed. BUT, I'm 2 miles from home and lose all power. I pull the auto box into 2nd and press the pedal and after a 5 second pause I start moving again, but the same thing happens 3x before I get home. So, having had this issue on three previous 'parked up/no use' 80's I am convinced it's the turbo.

I'm now in a panic. Ferry booked from Portsmouth to Bilbao and ferry booked from Malaga to Melilla!

I have just ordered a really crap Chinese turbo for £100 off eBay with a theoretical 3 year guarantee as a last ditch back up (I called Toyota and the genuine part is £3.4K with VAT !!!!). I also know that I can send off the current unit to be re-built by theturbocentre who use proper parts.

So, has anyone out there got a CT26 that is not cheep Chinese/works/etc , that they are prepared to sell? Or please give me any other advice.

Cheers

Nick

I know a good turbo place in Morocco if you get problems out there, and some exceptional mechanics ;)

What diagnostics have you done to convince yourself it’s the turbo? After 3 years idle it could be bad fuel, water in the fuel, a plugged up filter, etc.

Turbos when they go really go.

If your low on boost I would consider looking at the inside of the pipe work for anything becoming delaminated.

Did it smoke at all

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im with rich and stu here. Although I have several low mileage ct 26's on the shelf what makes you think it's turbo related?

Thanks for all the replies! Tomorrow morning we are going to run the vehicle, with another following, until the problem occurs and the check it out. The 'we' is my ex RAC friend who is now a mobile mechanic with all the gear on board to help. I don't think it is fuel, as after the issue happened I put in £20 of super diesel and the same thing happened. The vehicle won't accelerate or drop down a gear if you kick down. It could be a filter and we will check that. However, I am still betting it is the s**t low sulpher diesel that messes up anything it comes into contact with, if not used regularly. I will update this as my issue cannot be unique after 75% turbo failures

I know a good turbo place in Morocco if you get problems out there, and some exceptional mechanics ;)
I would love the contact details of a good place to contact if anything goes wrong. I will have a spare rear shock, UJ's, bearings, starter motor (it's auto), injectors, and other bits. But, I learned from 33 years of driving Series 1 Landies that you always need what you don't have with you!

Putting extra diesel in the tank won’t help if the fuel is contaminated. You’ve simply diluted the contamination if it is contaminated. You need to run from a can through a clean filter and purge a good amount through. Have you looked at the filter sock on the end of the pick up pipe in the tank? It’s not difficult to get to. Running from a can of normal fresh diesel is the best place to start and will eliminate anything within the fuel system up to the injection pump. You need to reliably rule out the simple things first and prove any part faulty before you change it.

The U.K. has been on ultra low sulphur diesel since 1st Jan 2001 and I’ve run diesels since then with no problem.

All of the answers are good, but lets talk numbers ok? You don't say what engine you have, but I will assume that it is a 1HD-T, thenpeak torque comes at 1400RPM...turbo starts spooling at 1800RPM...if it is automatic, it can make all shifts at 1200RPM...so...the fact that it does not move, for me, has nothing to do with turbo...check other things first

Probably still on his Trip Rich... Thats if he set off!

Turbo can't boost if there's a pressure leak , and while i don't know this engine well (yet) if the on boost fuel compensator (a rubber diaphragm in pump) has failed i imagine the engine would be starved of fuel when the turbo tries to do its work .

Good point, another possibility Shayne, but would this give an intermittent fault as described?

Both can be hard to diagnose due to the erratic nature of it , until it fails altogether . I'm not predicting with any confidence but rather suggesting the ruling out of cheap and simple stuff first . I replaced my 90's turbo when i didn't need to and i can't even remember why now :doh:

he sorted it.
I said to him to check the fuel filter before anything in the tank. turns out it was that. as i said in another post that is a main issue with problems with the 80 and needs to be looked at first in my opinion.

All of the answers are good, but lets talk numbers ok? You don't say what engine you have, but I will assume that it is a 1HD-T, thenpeak torque comes at 1400RPM...turbo starts spooling at 1800RPM...if it is automatic, it can make all shifts at 1200RPM...so...the fact that it does not move, for me, has nothing to do with turbo...check other things first

exactly what i had said.

Back