Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent Help needed from Cape Town.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys some quick advice needed.

Collected truck today and found getting into first gear very difficult and almost impossible to select reverse.

Easy if engine is off or I put the transfer box into neutral.

Rear diff was removed to replace locker seals.

Bled clutch and pedal has lots of feel.

Any ideas??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did the gear box oil get changed Lazz?

Also wonder if prop was split and now out of phase causing a degree of binding in the UJ's chap.

CJ

Were 1st or reverse at all stiff when you last used it? With engine running, if you put transfer in neutral, engage 1st or reverse, can you then put the transfer into low? Does sound like something is dragging, clutch or pilot bearing, maybe one of them has gone downhill while it's been standing about being worked on. Can you operate the clutch lever manually from underneath to make sure you're getting full travel and eliminate things like a faulty master cylinder?

Classic symptoms of clutch drag especially as you say it does not do it when transfer is in neutral allowing the dragging clutch to spin up the gearbox output shaft.

I'm in Cape Town and will be available from time to time if I can help just drop me a PM.

All the best.

Marius

Apologies for the silence guys, been out trying to fix and not had access to email.

Checked and replaced all oils in g/box and transfer box. Flushed the master with new HF and bled the system. No leaks/damage on master or slave and getting full travel on clutch shaft both manually and hydraulic.
It is much better and I can engage gears, certainly easier than yesterday. Still not happy with a fault that just "appeared" whilst I didn't have the truck. Was working smoothly when left.

Will run it tomorrow and see if its better or worse when hot and warm.

Thanks for the input and I'll report back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to hear you may have resolved the issue Lazz, how frustrating. Happy and safe travels :icon-biggrin:

Silly question............There is nothing under the clutch pedal, like a dead rat or something.

If it has been standing a long time it might free off after the clutch plate has been polished in use.

Silly question............There is nothing under the clutch pedal, like a dead rat or something.

If it has been standing a long time it might free off after the clutch plate has been polished in use.

Thankfully no dead animals in the truck.

Gears slicking in and out now, so really not sure what caused the issue. Full flush and new oils may have helped, but because I didn't "find" a specific cause or fault, I'm a little uneasy about it. We've got 12-15,000kms to do before we return.

One saving grace is that it is a manual, so could get me out of trouble without using the clutch if necessary and there are lots of Toyota repairers in this part of the world. Will keep an eye on it.

PS the truck really is fantastic now and I think as good as I'm ever going to get it. Really chuffed.

Now to test it in the bush!

Safe travels Lazz, looking forward to the report already

Glad you got it sorted, just querying why it played up. Unsure of the humidity/weather where you are, the clutch driven plate can get stuck on the gearbox splines, this tends to happen if you done some deep water driving and everything had not dried out prior to being switched off. There are also plugs in the bell housing that should be in place, if it has been raining heavy enough the grill below the windscreen takes a lot of water and some may have drained into the bell housing causing a light layer of rust on the shaft, the driven plate often gets stuck on the flywheel face and then drag, this rotates the gearbox internals making it difficult to engage gears. Just throwing things out there really trying to work out why it became a problem.

regards

Dave

I would think the next 12-15k kms will loosen things up a bit Lazz....:whistle:

Thanks guys, Had one or two small issues to resolve with snags from the work. Tomorrow is provisioning day and final checks and fills, and then Wednesday early, we head north. First stop is Amanzi just over the border in Namibia.

Hope we don't get too much rain. Its blowing a Hoolie here at the moment.

Every time i have been to capetown is been blowing. Good luck in Namibia.
Stu

If the car has been sitting in a wet situation for a long time without use the clutch surfaces can bind together and when forced apart become feathered causing clutch drag? All this talk of rain has reminded me.

Hope you're all sorted and enjoying the drive. Did you pop it in to Johann Meyer for a check-up??

Back