Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lack of drive after ATF change

As said, low on fluid. There is a procedure to check the level which is to dip it when hot and cycle through all gears first. Whenever any hydraulic system is drained you get air enter where the fluid drains out. Getting rid of the air takes time, causes frothing and needs checking several times topping up as and when necessary. Do not overfill though, just up to the line.

Mike not only do you check the level when it's hot, but the engine must be running. The level that you read off the stick is effectively what is left in the sump when all the fluid is actually circulating around the system. If you take a cold reading with the engine off it will give you a false indication.

You cannot empty the torque converter by the way. The only way to do that is to take the transmission out and pull the TC and tip it up into a bucket. All you are really changing when you drop the fluid is that which is in the sump and immediate pipe work. Typically you'll get about 5 litres out. But if you car was already low on fluid you might need to put as much as 7 back in.

These symptoms are utterly typical of a fluid change, especially if it's your first go at it. It should be fine. You should also check the function of your throttle position sensor cable. They can get very stiff and cause auto box difficulties. It is not, contrary to popular belief, a kick down cable. The cable frays inside the outer sheath and causes it not to retract properly. There is a thread on it somewhere on here. Basically it operates of the accelerator cable on the side of the enge and runs backwards and down under the front bulkhead. Just pull the metal quadrant against the spring and let go. It should snap back smartly. I appreciate you have a 105 but the set up is the same as an 80.

Guys, thanks for all the talk about whats happened. I know now what to do next time, its been a learning curve, but after much research and talk, i think i have. To pay somebody to look at the truck is a a bit over the top. We managed to work out the problem with some help from here and a bit of trial and error. When i had my M series i got to understand it after a couple of years, i think the same thing will happen here.

I have just taken her out for about a 20 k drive. When its warming up and going very slow, there was a clunk or jump into gear, it got better the longer i went. My next effeort will be the diff oil change.

I have just taken her out for about a 20 k drive. When its warming up and going very slow, there was a clunk or jump into gear, it got better the longer i went. My next effeort will be the diff oil change.

Sounds like it’s sorting itself out after the shock of receiving some TLC... :lol:

I dont think it is. I still dont think i have enough fluid for what i did. After doing some research, the symptoms im having tell me, i dont have enough fluid in. I was also told to forget what the book says. Another thing is this, what i did to the change of fluids i did wrong. I didnt have the engine running and got a false reading of the amount i had, i have since checked with engine running and have had to add more fluid, its a matter of trial and error because some places tell you the capacity of the trans can be as much as 15 litres, depending on what comes out and what you changed, ie the filter. So no i not convinced its right yet, but i think im getting there.

If anybody else has anything to add ,please do so, i got spoiled with my M class telling me what to do and when to change things, this is a whole new world.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back