Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UV insect trap leckky question for a dumbo.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I was thinking of getting a UV insect trap like the one below
Now this can run off my 500w inverter. It says it is 30w and has an 18w bulb.

So trying to use my rudimentary physics, at 240v does that mean it will be drawing 30/240 = 0.125 amps.
So my inverter can supply 240 v and using a 75ah battery, it could therefore power the lamp for 75/.125 = 600 hrs.

Does that sound right?

106334.jpg

Thought this would be great for camping and keeping the mozzies etc at bay.

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but I have one of those things in 12v and it's never killed a mozzie yet. Been very disappointed. One word of caution, I bashed mine and it broke. As I tidied up the pieces, I touched the element. It was not plugged in. I woke up on the other side of the workshop. Didn't know it worked from capacitors. It has the power, just not the attraction!

Chris

You need to divide by a nominal 12v instead of 240 and then allow for the fact the inverter won't be anywhere near 100% efficient but just how inefficient it is depends on what you've got.

My thinking is that it is ment to attract insects away from you but it still attracts insects and if you are thinking of using it in Africa then that can't be a good idea.

Why not just stick to tabard and a good old mozzie coil.

You've got another problem there :(

Rather find a 12V one.

As Jon said, the inverter will be less than 100% (think the Mastervolt ones are 95%) efficient but there is also a thing called power factor which aggravates things. That looks like a florescent bulb. If you really really want a 230V one, find one with a filament bulb.

Back