Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

V8 FJ40 going Diesel

Good look with it hope it is The right one for you from Tony .

Hi All, sorry its been a while since my last post but i can confirm we are nearly there. had issues with clutch forks and ended up fabricating one from an LJ70, i did buy a TSM handbrake kit but that just about fouled on everything so we have ended up using a wilwood mechanical calliper and fabricating a bracket to suit, it allowed us to still use the original pull handbrake and cable. made up some leaf shims to sort out the steering angle this is tighter now. the engine is in and running fine on diesel, has a nice side pipe for the exhaust (thats not going to get annoying on long journeys), she has been rewired after years of bird nest electrics. jobs left to do are. Air box connection pipe (special), refit front bumper and warn winch, handbrake final assembly, fit new steering wheel, MOT and then drive, hopefully have a picture and video of her running driving by end Feb / mid March. images of the engine in with its new engine mounts, cheers Jon

IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

will try and get over this afternoon and take some new engine pics, we are having a slight issue with the starter motor, sometimes it works perfectly sometime just clicks, think this is going to have to come off and be refurbished. any ideas?...

Hi Jon looks like it is all comeing good hope it goes well good look with it from Tony.

Hi Jon that is looking so good thanks for the pics love the old 40s have fun with it fromTony.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jon,

Engine in and it looks good.
No news but I am not sure if you sold the 350 anyway.

Regards,
Rodger

Hi Rodger, 350 long gone, as soon as i mentioned it was for sale it sold in days, cheers Jon

Hi All, been a while since my post, car is virtually done but been having difficulty with a the handbrake on the transfer case, well i bought the TSM kit but it seemed to caliper fouled on just about everything, so went for a willwood one, they are smaller and the pull is on the top instead of out the side but this just wont give the hold requirement, we've played with additional pivot points to increase the hold but still no good. so i have purchased some 60 series axles and going for the handbrake in the rear drum, everything else is just about buttoned up, once the handbrake is sorted, she will go for MOT and be on the road again. gunning for end of June as son wants to use it for his prom. no good piccies to add sadly

Hi Jon good look with it be good to be back on the roads have fun from Tony.

Hi Jon HJ60 AXLES OR 2" WIDE THAN 40S HOPE IT HELPS GOOD LOOK WITH IT .

Hi Tony, i know they are wider, we may see if we can mod the back plates and move the hubs etc over, or fit the rear as is and space out the front to get it through the mot, then i can move over the front axle also (in my own time) my current FJ40 axle has the disc brake conversion from cool cruisers but would prefer all toyota

Hi Jon can you got calipers with handbrake on the caliper to fit the dis breaks conversion just a though if it helps .

Hi All, well it is all finished now (except a wheel bearing to finish) the 3B runs really sweet and the car has never been better to drive however on tickover it sounds like it wants to shake itself to death, i know we get rattles on a 40 but coming from the smooth V8 to this 3B is a bit of a culture shock. (my BJ74 has a 13BT and it nowhere near as bad).... i am really happy though, going off to find a few nylon washers, let the rattle banishing begin... i fear this will be a long task, if anyone got ideas apart from turning it off would love to hear them. will bring it to Lincombe in September if i get time to make it over, cheers Jon

Hi Jon good its up and back on the road be good to see you with the 40 at Lincomb.

some piccies of the finished article, cheeky side pipe and Mota lita steering wheel

IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG

Jon,

The 40 is looking really good. Nice job.
When you say 'rattles' are they inside the engine? Before we fitted a rev counter we had the bag of nails sound but found that my tick over was at 250 so eased it up to 300 and the rattles went but that's on a 2H and the recommended tick revs could be different for a 3B.

Regards,
Rodger

Hi Rodger, thanks, i am really happy with it, no rev counter yet but would like to get one installed, the rattles seem to be everywhere, the front wings are shaking. but they do disappear with some revs. cheers Jon

Back