Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VDJ79 in Australia - new owner

SteveS

Just saying Hi to this group. Some of you may know that I have been driving my 100 "Hedgehog 2.0"
IMG_8348[1].JPG

around various bits of the world but for our next leg in Australia I have just purchased this VDJ79 there. Already prepped for the outback it will eventually be getting a Trayon (www.trayon.com) camper unit on the back. I'll start a new thread on the Trips section under Hedgehog. Still planning and preparing at the moment - our trip starts at end of April. Look forward to chatting with you.

Last edited:
Beauty Steve.

Just seen your route on fb. Your going to be covering some miles. How long are you looking to be doing it for?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip Steve. Nice cruiser BTW

Hey could you post your route or a link on here? Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
SteveS many thanks for this. Have been reading your other trip posts. It’s uncanny but you have done a lot of what I have been planning. I have done quite a bit of the same ones before on my own but am gearing up to do with my wife. I will need to chat with you to compare notes at some point if you could. Meanwhile will watch your Aus trip with interest. Cheers.

Sing out when you come up (or head down) the New England Highway - I see you're going via Tamworth/Armidale/Coffs, let us know and we'll see if we can meet up.

Nice one Steve,-
you might consider the Plenty H'way from Alice Springs to Boulia Q. which is slightly less traveled & then do the lower half of the Oodnadatta Tk- Painted desert etc from the southern end when you are there.

this may also be of use for you - www.caravancampingsales.com.au - search for slide on etc.
I dont work for them or have any affiliation BTW.

these are all taken on the Plenty Hway a few years ago. You should see Brolga's , camels, plenty of birdlife & perhaps a snake or 2... pending the weather & time of year.
There is an active camel eradication program in progress but still a few lost lumps out there....DSCN0074.JPG DSCN0076.JPG DSCN0082.JPG DSCN0085.JPG
no thats not a cruiser....

Give us a shout when you're heading to Melbourne and I will show you some of the best bits of the High Country. :thumbup:

SteveS many thanks for this. Have been reading your other trip posts. It’s uncanny but you have done a lot of what I have been planning. I have done quite a bit of the same ones before on my own but am gearing up to do with my wife. I will need to chat with you to compare notes at some point if you could. Meanwhile will watch your Aus trip with interest. Cheers.
Yep - no problem. Feel free to PM me or add your questions here or on the appropriate travel thread

Give us a shout when you're heading to Melbourne and I will show you some of the best bits of the High Country. :thumbup:
Thanks - sounds like a plan. I may pick your brains in the meantime if that's ok?

Nice one Steve,-
you might consider the Plenty H'way from Alice Springs to Boulia Q. which is slightly less traveled & then do the lower half of the Oodnadatta Tk- Painted desert etc from the southern end when you are there.

this may also be of use for you - www.caravancampingsales.com.au - search for slide on etc.
I dont work for them or have any affiliation BTW.

these are all taken on the Plenty Hway a few years ago. You should see Brolga's , camels, plenty of birdlife & perhaps a snake or 2... pending the weather & time of year.
There is an active camel eradication program in progress but still a few lost lumps out there....View attachment 138300 View attachment 138301 View attachment 138302 View attachment 138303
no thats not a cruiser....

Currently we are going Winton, Boulia, Birdsville, Marree, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Marla then north to Uluru etc.....there are sooooo many things we could do.....just need to fit them all together :)

Thanks - sounds like a plan. I may pick your brains in the meantime if that's ok?

Sure mate, send me a message anytime. :thumbup:

If you need to do any mechanical repairs/maintenance when you're down this way, I'm happy to help. My new place even has a pit in the huge garage/shed! ;)

Enjoy Outback QLD! :flags-australia:

The people at the Marree pub/hotel are the friendliest and most hospitable I have met anywhere in the Outback. They also let you free camp in the grounds behind the pub. :clap:

Back