Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VDO GAUGES INSTALL ENQUIRY

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys I'm in the first stages of fitting VDO's gauges for the dash.
I have the dials but nothing else.
These are:
Altimeter
Oil Temp
Water Temp
Turbo - need hose & connections

Does the 1HDT have an existing facilty to connect to or do I need extra parts?

Thanks for your help in advance

IMG_4727.JPG

That's the route I know Shane but still not sure if I need VDO sensors & adapters or universal would be OK?

Plus I'm I right that they all need these & cannot use anything to what's on the 80 series?

Thanks

Last edited:
So far Shane I've come up with these but uncertain still.

Still have the altimeter gauge sensor / reader to find?

IMG_4770.PNG IMG_4771.PNG IMG_4772.PNG

I imagine 10 different people will give 10 different answers to how they achieved exactly what you want and i personally hate auto electrics so i'm not likely to be of much use to you .

I can only say on a personal note i would wherever possible stick with vdo as a gauge that tells lies is worse than useless . Searching for a "how to" on each gauge individually is surely the best way forward as they don't interact with each other in any way shape or form .

I can't see a vacuum pipe on your turbo sensor but that's how most measure boost so you just cut the turbo vacuum pipe and pop a 99p T joint into the line .

We crossed posts Dervis but as you know i don't have an 80 so now the convo is started and you have posted up some accessories i better bow out and let the 80 owners say yay or nay to the options .

I will say again though one at a time is the way to do it because any one of those gauges could be used in any car , plane , train , boat , whatever .

Because its raining i did a quick search for the altimeter sensor/sender/reader and came up blank apart from all the digital gadgets you can take on a pushbike which makes me wonder if it just needs power to work the sensor within ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Your right there Shane it's a mine field!!

Tried to find a store here who specializes in this field but so far hard luck.

Thanks for you input :)

I have vdo boost, egt and external temp, i used the vdo senders. E gauges in the us is a good source.

ilumination can all be joined to one wire, as can the earths. To have them dim with the dash you will need to connect to the rheostat.

I did fit the three gauges from IIRC a VW to my Discovery. The oil temperature sender was part of the sump plug, it is a simple earth return type like the temperature sensor, just much larger. I 'may' still have that sensor?

I am down the garage today as I need to have a clear up, I rarely throw anything away so I will have a look for it, if it is there, it is yours gratis.

regards

Dave

Got a feeling I have a VDO catalogue somewhere. Mind you, it's probably all on their website now anyway. I can post photos if it helps, I'll have a look.

Thank you guys for all your attention & input.
Looked on the VDO webpage couldn't attach any common sense really to what I really need. It seems more specific based on the vehicle so I wanted to find an expert here to see the car & tell me what I need or alternatively attach the mods if available to get this job done.

The boost tubing joins into a tube that carrys boost pressure, so as long as its fits the back of your gauge it will work, the tube is cut in two and a T piece added.

oil pressure i presume will come off the stock pressure sender location so again you will need to find the size of the fittings.

water temp, NPT is a tapered thread so like the egt gauge probe i would say you need to tap out a hole in a suitable location and screw in the probe.

alti metre? The stock one works off air pressure so is better at predicting the weather, other than the back light they need no wiring. gps is far better.

No luck with the oil temp sender that screws in the sump, garage not finished so will have another look tomorrow when finishing up.

regards

Dave

Not forgotten you, I did not get to the garage, will try later this week.

regards

Dave

No joy on the sensor, sorry mate. It sat in the garage for at least five years, must have eventually found the tip during a clear out?

regards

Dave

No joy on the sensor, sorry mate. It sat in the garage for at least five years, must have eventually found the tip during a clear out?

regards

Dave

Thanks for looking there Dave & getting back to me no worries.

Bought a VDO turbo piping kit off eBay for £10 hopefully that & the new turbo controller will complete this setup for the turbo gauge. As for the rest will research them one by one in the hope to get them all working.

Look in the sump of VW's that had the triple gauge install, that is the one for the oil temp for certain.

regards

Dave

Back