Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide - Tom Sheppard

warrenpfo

Has anyone got a copy or read it? Is it any good?

People seem to rave about it.

The best book on the subject I've read so far.
But, if you are "not a very technical" type of person, you may find the book way "too technical".

I agree, its very good, although the copy I hav was expensive!

Andy

By technical what are we talking angles, large numbers and degrees?

Andy the reason i ask is i have the oppotunity to get a brand new still in plasic hard back copy for £80 and cant decided if its worth it?

Bloody hell that is expensive.

My copy was £35.

Desert Wind i.e. Tom Sheppard the author is planning a reprint this winter. Probably best keeping an eye on his website.

Alternatively borrow one. Try your library, the RGS one has one for a loan

Brendan

Thats nothing compared to the price on amazon. There is a copy there for £280!!

They are like hens teeth

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nick Shepherd said:
They are like hen's teeth on Amazon, they are like hen's eggs if you talk directly to Tom who also publishes the book as well as a range of other superb books by him.

http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/

He's a very nice guy to deal with too.

I agree, mine cost £35ish about a year ago bought directly from Tom.

FYI I have already had a reply from Tom after sending him a note, guess i will wait to hear from him when the next run happens:

Warren,

Many thanks for the enquiry. I get pretty angry when I hear about the profiteering - actual or attempted - going on regarding this book and I hope you will clearly indicate the appropriate place to which the prospective vendor should go.

The reprint is still in the hover but I hope to have an answer soon. You will appreciate I have to have a viable basic number before the print costs alone - never mind anything else - can be covered. I am in touch with my printers at the moment and should have an answer soon.

In the meantime I will keep your enquiry on file, if I may, and let you know as soon as I know what is happening.

Thanks again for making contact.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom Sheppard

Desert Winds Publishing
44 Salusbury Lane
Offley
Hitchin SG5 3EG
United Kingdom

t: (+44) 1462.768.797

I wonder if he would be willing to provide a PDF version for kindle / tablet readers? Would negate the waiting process...

I always contacted the author directly by e-mail, have all his books on the shelf and have read them.
---
By technical I mean that his approach to explain how the things work, explaining some physic laws behind, his perfectionist approach ... not everybody can digest all the information and details presented. You have to be "a technical" type of person. This is not looking down on the "non-technical" inclined ones, just recognizing that we all have different viewpoints.
For those who don't care so much about the technical and physical laws behind and just want to know the conclusions, for instance what equipment to take and what to leave at home and similar, Chris Scott's Sahara Overland is a better choice for a guidebook.
---
Incidentally, a week ago I have written an article comparing also the most known books on the subject of overlanding. Accessible also here, but it is in Slovene. Maybe Google translate can help to an extent with this particular article (?).

I agree that Tom Sheppard is a very nice helpful guy with amazing knowledge.

However please remember these books are guides not gospel.

What each people have to consider is their particular NEEDS rather then their WANTS then their budget.

Travelling in convoy for two weeks to the Sahara is completely different to a multi month solo vehicle trip.

Remember that local knowledge is often best knowledge

Brendan

Excellent book. Try the RGS - they had a deal going a while back.

Just as an aside. We were offered another guide book to stock by author/publisher.

When we responded with the comment why should we buy them from them when we could buy them retail cheaper off Amazon then wholesale from them.

Oddly enough we did not get a response. I thought that was a bit strange :p

Brendan

Back