Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

versitile ?

goodoldboy

im on a arborist forum where most of the members think that a landy is THE truck to have.After the usual piss take about reliability they counter by saying the landy is more versitile - oh yeah?

Attachments

• Image0568.jpg
    Image0568.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Image0570.jpg
    Image0570.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Image0573.jpg
    Image0573.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Image0610.jpg
    Image0610.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Image0605.jpg
    Image0605.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 70
:clap:

Its got to be a UK based forum if they think that! :icon-rolleyes:

It amazes me that so many people in the UK still genuinely believe landies are the best! :wtf:

Brilliant
But i prefer putting logs in trailer
Or pickup tub these days :)
Or both at once ;)
Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

It amazes me that so many people in the UK still genuinely believe landies are the best! :wtf:

When you consider the price of parts over here for the Landy then its easy to understand how much cheaper repairs are and why people prefer them. Especially when you weigh up just how much Jap parts are over here and just how few are about (unless you consider L200s but that's just a biased opinion ;) )

I had forgotten how cheap Landy parts were until I got myself a disco to run around in. I could get a complete diff delivered for £60. Try finding an 80 diff for that price :(

Still wouldn't get rid of my LC again though. I'm so glad I got it back. :D

How often does a 80 diff need replacing though Bill?? You don't break them every five seconds driving over a pebble :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the UK, as a toy, a Landrover - especially a 200 or 300 Tdi Defender - takes some beating. Very capable, parts availability, lots of modifications, lots of people able to work on them. Once fettled they're as good as most vehicles and off road take a hell of a lot of abuse. True - not as reliable as a Cruiser - but it depends what you use them for.

TBH I find it funny that the Cruiser, Jeep and Zuki forums all take a pop at the Landies - if you/they really didn't rate them, then why even comment? I don't see a lot of cross manufacturer bickering between Cruiser and Jeep, say, yet stock Jeeps are as unreliable and prone to issues as a Landy. :think:

My suspicion is that most brands use LR as a bench mark, and therefore have to prove they're better... even if more expensive, hard to modify, expensive to find parts for, etc....

Don't get me wrong - I went from a Defender to a Cruiser and for good reason - but Landies remain an awesome offroad tool (you just need to be handy with a set of spanners).

IMO, and I've worked and lived in various different countries, including England, Dubai, Derbyshire, Wales, Qatar, Bulgaria, Albania & Oman, to name few, human nature (especially Brits) need someone, or something, to take the p!ss out of.

LC owners have targeted the green oval for the reasons given above, because they LR has been considered the world leader in 4x4 for the masses. Had LC owners chosen Lada to ridicule, then it wouldn't carry much weight, would it?

Lada make one of the toughest little 4x4's in production, but everyone takes the pee out of them regardless!

It's a joke! :lol:

A joke with some substance behind it. LRs are less reliable, I don't know an LR owner that wouldn't admit it, but the cheapness and availability of parts, makes them viable, same with Lada.

Jeep are capable, but have you ever driven a 15 year old Cherokee?

No thanks, I rented one once and it was a nail!

my 2c :lol:

Hello, don't entirely agree with the reliability bit, we've had a 300 disco from new in '95 did 270 kmiles before I replaced the engine with a second hand unit for £600, ( still going strong on original Diffs) I have a 94 80 series which after a turbo made a bid for freedom had a major rebuild, in excess of £2k, at 160k miles, also a front diff rebuild at 180k miles, so which is more reliable? ( now at 280k miles) I prefer my Toyo, but I am biased,

I currently own 3 Land Cruisers and 3 Land Rovers. I often wish my Cruisers were as comfortable as my Landies offroad or on seriously bad roads, and that parts were as cheap and easy to fix. Likewise, I often wish that my Landies were as reliable and sturdy as my Cruisers...

Both have their good and bad, and I use them according to the job at hand.

Last edited:
well i have the LC and a defender. the land rover is now 28 years old and yes it does break but mainly because its my toy and i use it as such. but i can leave it for weeks and jump in it and it will fire in to life every time. my land cruiser is the main car and hasn't missed a beat in the five and half years ive owned it. I have been to Italy and back. In the winter i do love the luxury's of heated seats mirrors etc. so i like both really but if you have ever driven a defender you will know that its not the most comfortable and you normally end up driving along with the window down just so you can put your bloody elbow somewhere:lol:

Also i find when servicing/working on them, the landcruiser has a better design and has actually been thought about. when you change the oil filter on a 200tdi be prepared to wipe the oil from the webbing of the front diff:wtf:

Yeah I don't understand it either and can only put it down to Land Rover is seen as a British brand or its a very British thing. I owned a Discovery with my Land Cruiser and I sold the disco2 because it was crap in comparison and I did not trust it. Don't get me wrong I do have a soft spot for land rover as I was a mechanic in the army and spent years repairing them! :D and driving them across Afghanistan and Iraq etc...and having to do some things that would make a health and safety rep weap! ie compressing suspension springs with jubilee clips....changing a clutch in the middle of the desert etc!

Its like the TD5 engine, why put the injector harness coming out of the bottom of the head......which then eventually leads to oil seeping down the harness into the ecu??? why build a very capable 4x4 vehicle and then give it crap rust protection! crap cab ergonomics! they just have poor implementation!

Last edited:
Got to argue with you on the ergonomics - there was a study done a few years ago and (remarkably) the 90/110 rated as one of the best seating/steering wheel/pedal configurations in terms of keeping good postural alignment. Having driven several thousand miles in an old 200tdi Defender over ten days - I'd tend to agree. It may not seem comfy, but it keeps you in the right place.

(I'll get back to my secret green oval polishing now :shifty: )

I'd like to see that study Dave, was it heavily sponsored by land rover!!!

Ive got the bruised achy elbow to prove the comfort levels:lol: oh and ive also got the ripped tops/jeans from getting in and out on the crap door catch

I have to move my managers 110 in and out of the workshop everyday and I hate driving it!

The seating position is terrible, as others have said you need to put the window down or you keep banging your elbow on the door. Its like the seat is too far towards the outside of the car. Also the steering wheel seems far too close, its got the turning circle of a bus and the ignition is on the wrong side so, I invariably go to put the key in on the side every other car I've ever driven has the ignition. :icon-rolleyes:

I have to drive it for probably 2 mins a day and I hate it, cant imagine doing any big trips in one, would be horrible! :thumbdown:

Back in my 20's I used to dream of owning a S3 SWB Landrover.........until I actually got to drive one. Boneshaking ride and an interior like the inside of an empty oil drum. Very agricultural but, then again, isn't that what they were originally designed for?
The modern Defenders have certainly improved in the comfort stakes but I just don't buy the 'cult' thing. Sorry!

Got to argue with you on the ergonomics - there was a study done a few years ago and (remarkably) the 90/110 rated as one of the best seating/steering wheel/pedal configurations in terms of keeping good postural alignment. Having driven several thousand miles in an old 200tdi Defender over ten days - I'd tend to agree. It may not seem comfy, but it keeps you in the right place.

(I'll get back to my secret green oval polishing now :shifty: )

lies! :D its quite possibly the biggest complaint for the defender, its even worse in an armored land rover! when I drove my snatch ( armored defender) in afghan it had 70 miles on the clock, the air con packed up, the hazard switch failed....and the worse part was driving along and the door flying open because some bright spark who added about 3" of bullet proof glass and 2" of Kevlar Armour plating to the door kept the same stupid door hinges and latches as a normal defender door..... I would take a 70 series LC over a defender any day, the Canadian army used G wagons which seemed pretty good.

for 2013 reliability index, I know this is not entirely accurate and will only cover claims through warranty direct, but it is still a good indication of the brand and shows that a strong brand image like land rover will keep sales good! lets face it, most new land rovers unless its a defender will not go off road so its not because people take them off road! :D

1. Honda
2. Suzuki
3. Hyundai
4. Subaru
5. Toyota
6. Lexus
7. Chevrolet
8. Mitsubishi
9. Ford
10. Mazda
11. Nissan
12. Fiat
13. Citroen
14. Skoda
15. Peugeot
16. Daewoo
17. Smart
18. Kia
19. Seat
20. Vauxhall
21. Volkswagen
22. Mini
23. Renault
24. Rover
25. Saab
26. BMW
27. Volvo
28. MG
29. Jaguar
30. Mercedes-Benz
31. Audi
32. Jeep
33. Chrysler
34. SsangYong
35. Alfa Romeo
36. Porsche
37. Land Rover
38. Bentley

jbecks - not sure what that has to do with the ergonomics though? LOL!

Back