Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

vibration when exceeding 80kmph

sidantha

Country Flag
sri_lanka
my 70 series LJ 78 is having a 2LT engine with automatic transmission, and I noticed a vibration recently while exceeding 80kmph which is just after the gear shifted to the top, and I replaced the front knuckle bearings, and the rear hand break liners recently, and the tire air pressure to 32 from 30 and my tire size is 31 10.5 15 AT , and still my mechanic cant find the reason for this vibration, has anyone experienced this issue in your cruisers and you help is much appreciated ??

What kind of vibration? Can it be felt through steering wheel? Pedals? Gear stick?

What kind of vibration? Can it be felt through steering wheel? Pedals? Gear stick?
I feel the whole vehicle is slightly vibrating the seats and feel like its coming from the rear wheels but nothing seems to be wrong with it

Starting at the obvious end of things, are your wheels well balanced?

Have you checked under the truck for anything loose in the suspension, bushings in particular? Check around the steering box for cracks in the chassis. Are your tyres of the same make and pattern on the same axle?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could try checking rear drum balancing weights are still attached. One of mine fell off recently

Starting at the obvious end of things, are your wheels well balanced?

Have you checked under the truck for anything loose in the suspension, bushings in particular? Check around the steering box for cracks in the chassis. Are your tyres of the same make and pattern on the same axle?

thank you will check under the truck and actually its not a big vibration I only feel it when I exceed 80KMP and when the gear shifts to the top, and I feel the vibration on the accelerator mainly, this started after I replaced my hand break liners, and I had to pulled a van with my truck and it was jerking while pulling I wonder if something had gone wrong after doing any of those, and do you guys think if any of those could be the reason for this ?

Drum weights are spot welded into a little dimple on the drum. They can come loose during removal/fitting and fall off.

Whip the wheel off and if you see a little dimple and no weight that would cause vibration.

If you’ve changed your handbrake shoes it may be that they are catching on the drums as they bed in. The trouble with this theory is that if I leave my hand brake on, the effects are only really felt from crawl speed to a stop. On the other hand, as you say it has only started since you changed your hand brake shoes, I’d look there before suspecting anything else. @Chris has done a superb write up on here on how to correctly set up the hand brake. There’s a bit of an art to getting it right and will need revisits as the new shoes bed in and take up the curve of your drums.

If you’ve changed your handbrake shoes it may be that they are catching on the drums as they bed in. The trouble with this theory is that if I leave my hand brake on, the effects are only really felt from crawl speed to a stop. On the other hand, as you say it has only started since you changed your hand brake shoes, I’d look there before suspecting anything else. @Chris has done a superb write up on here on how to correctly set up the hand brake. There’s a bit of an art to getting it right and will need revisits as the new shoes bed in and take up the curve of your drums.

Apart from the above good advice and in case all the other suggestions come to nothing, I have a theory that might be relevant.

I once had a senior moment in my 80 Series, and set off with my handbrake partially on, by a few clicks out of 10 or whatever, but it felt the whole truck was shaking. I’d never felt anything like it, but when I realized the handbrake was on slightly, and released it, the drive went smooth again no problems.

Now my 80 is a bit unique because it’s not UK or Australia spec, so it doesn’t have rear disc brakes. It has old fashioned drum brakes operated by both the foot brake and the handbrake.

Recently I had it serviced and my special instructions were “fix the bloody handbrake” because it not working well was driving me crazy.

Anyway they took me at my word and it worked better than ever before. But, after collecting it, I had this horrible vibration over about 60kph. I recognosed it straight away and guessed they’d been a bit over enthusiastic when adjusting the rear shoes.

If you’ve just had new rear handbrake shoes fitted, I’ll wager my money on them needing to bed in more. I would just drive it and hope the problem clears. You might want to try applying a few clicks of the handbrake as you drive, to speed up the bedding in process. I guess you’ll feel whether there’s a connection between the handbrake and your problem when you apply a bit of handbrake.

I’m interested in this and how or what you eventually find was the problem.
TBH, the vibes I got with the handbrake partially on were nothing like what I thought it would feel like, it was dramatic and could have been anything from loose wheels, play in the drive-line UJs, worn steering joints or anything. The whole truck was shaking at over 60kph, but nothing when going slower.

Good luck :thumbup:

Apart from the above good advice and in case all the other suggestions come to nothing, I have a theory that might be relevant.

I once had a senior moment in my 80 Series, and set off with my handbrake partially on, by a few clicks out of 10 or whatever, but it felt the whole truck was shaking. I’d never felt anything like it, but when I realized the handbrake was on slightly, and released it, the drive went smooth again no problems.

Now my 80 is a bit unique because it’s not UK or Australia spec, so it doesn’t have rear disc brakes. It has old fashioned drum brakes operated by both the foot brake and the handbrake.

Recently I had it serviced and my special instructions were “fix the bloody handbrake” because it not working well was driving me crazy.

Anyway they took me at my word and it worked better than ever before. But, after collecting it, I had this horrible vibration over about 60kph. I recognosed it straight away and guessed they’d been a bit over enthusiastic when adjusting the rear shoes.

If you’ve just had new rear handbrake shoes fitted, I’ll wager my money on them needing to bed in more. I would just drive it and hope the problem clears. You might want to try applying a few clicks of the handbrake as you drive, to speed up the bedding in process. I guess you’ll feel whether there’s a connection between the handbrake and your problem when you apply a bit of handbrake.

I’m interested in this and how or what you eventually find was the problem.
TBH, the vibes I got with the handbrake partially on were nothing like what I thought it would feel like, it was dramatic and could have been anything from loose wheels, play in the drive-line UJs, worn steering joints or anything. The whole truck was shaking at over 60kph, but nothing when going slower.

Good luck :thumbup:
This is what I was thinking. When they start to grab you start thinking all manner of things are wrong with the truck.

Back