Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VIN PLATE IDENTIFICATION

Christian Kenny

Country Flag
uk
Hi.
Newbie here.
I have a BJ73 250td with a VM engine which I have just purchased in Ibiza.
It was built in Portugal.
I am trying to work out the year of the model in order to try and find parts which is a challenge.
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if I can remove the tops of the rear doors and windows to make the truck a convertible?

Christian
ba9316a2-c3c4-45cd-86db-e241d34b835a.JPG
IMG_0633.jpg

Hi Christian and welcome.
Your BJ73 was built in February 1989 and the rear door windows and frames should be removable but I don't know how easy that may be.
Hope that helps

Regards,
Rodger

Nick Ould at Euro 4x4 parts knows these vehicles well. He's always a good place to start. I'm getting to know the 4 cyl engine pretty well... I'm on my second VM powered BJ73.

The rear windows are easy to remove. Use long 12mm sockets if you can. Bolts are hidden behind round rubber/plastic bungs.

Same with front doors.

First time removing FRP top is a pain. There are four bolts iirc inside the long cill under the window. theyre awkward to get at and everyone i know who has ever taken the top off has never refitted these bolts. all the others are easy to get to. there are bolts hidden behind the plastic FRP top plate on the main pillar between front door windows and rear windows.

congrats... looks like a nice truck

Welcome to the club Christian. :thumbup:

Nice 70 you have bought there! :clap:

Can you post a pic of the vin number, it will be stamped on the chassis inside one of the front wheel arches.

We can identify age with that. :icon-biggrin:

Regarding removing the window tops, not all 73's and 74's had the removable door tops. Most here in Australia never had that as an option (a few did, but its very rare) maybe Portuguese built ones are different. :ugeek:

But as Dan said just remove the bungs in the doors, remove the M8 bolts and the tops come off. :icon-cool:

Wow just fantastic support and info. Many thanks.
I’ll try Nick for parts support. Any other suppliers anyone would recommend?

I am based in London and the LC is in ibiza. I’m out in a few weeks so will get more pics including other chassis/engine plates etc.

V excited to attempt taking the top off. 2 person job?

Ok..
Found another plate pic.
Few more questions...
Refurb wheels and hubs or buy new ones?
Running off 12v but seem to have 2 batteries one disconnected
Do you take the frame out for the roof or leave in?
Is there a soft top available and what is a bikini top for the LC?

D26E6CEE-3BD6-4A8D-9893-7CC31FFE960C.jpeg
B244C2E9-BDE9-4F45-AEDD-287B9A67A335.jpeg
C84EB540-18D6-4273-8827-1A61F0E77AAC.jpeg
43B8288F-96DD-461B-8C6A-F4B177A07269.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks good.

Yes definitely a 2 person job to remove the roof.

What are your plans for it, is it staying on the island or are you bringing it back to the UK?

You could get the wheels shot blasted and then powder coated or just buy new. Jap 6 stud wheels are easy to get new and not that expensive.

I'm not familiar with how they built the 73/74 in Portugal but if its anything like the UK 70's then it will have 2 12v batteries linked together.

Maybe one battery died and a previous owner just disconnected the faulty one to stop it draining the good one.

You usually remove just the fiberglass roof and leave the frame in place.

I'm not sure if a soft top is available, Euro4x4 are usually pretty good for parts but I cant see one listed.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...ies_70/bj73_2_5td_diesel_moteur_vm_4_cyl_1990

A bikini top is usually like half a soft top, so just a canvas roof over the front 2 seats and open on the back. :icon-biggrin:

Looks good.

Yes definitely a 2 person job to remove the roof.

What are your plans for it, is it staying on the island or are you bringing it back to the UK?

You could get the wheels shot blasted and then powder coated or just buy new. Jap 6 stud wheels are easy to get new and not that expensive.

I'm not familiar with how they built the 73/74 in Portugal but if its anything like the UK 70's then it will have 2 12v batteries linked together.

Maybe one battery died and a previous owner just disconnected the faulty one to stop it draining the good one.

You usually remove just the fiberglass roof and leave the frame in place.

I'm not sure if a soft top is available, Euro4x4 are usually pretty good for parts but I cant see one listed.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...ies_70/bj73_2_5td_diesel_moteur_vm_4_cyl_1990

A bikini top is usually like half a soft top, so just a canvas roof over the front 2 seats and open on the back. :icon-biggrin:
Thank you for your help.
The LC will stay in Ibiza and I want to improve it over time. It is very clean and only has 80k miles on the clock.its also intact with accessories intact also.
I cut and polished the flat paint and detail cleaned the interior and it has come up great. It has lived in Santander and has the rare diff preferred for mountainous regions.
I’m very interested to see how it will look with the roof off!
I’m getting some spares together as I’m sure it will be tough getting supplies in Ibiza. I’ve found a mechanic who has worked on them in Ibiza and spotted a builder who uses a bj73 for his work vehicle!
I have also found a company that fits bikini tops.
Should be an adventure!

Christian. I posted links to engine manuals here.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...l-for-vm-2-5-td-5-cylinder-hr-588-ohv.149910/

Your 73 is definitely covered by the link Ben posted above. The only anomalous part I've come across so far is brake master cylinder. there are two versions fitted to the same model and fitting the wrong one causes the brakes to malfunction badly.

Two things you could help me with...

1: it looks like your 73 has aftermarket rear springs. its sitting much higher than usual... and standard rear springs on 73s of this age are usually shot and they actually squat at the rear. See my avatar photo <<<<<.

Are there any part numbers visible on springs and rear shocks? are the spring hangers standard? can you post photos of hangers?

2: Got details of the bikini top manufacturers? been thinking of making one myself but interested in one off the shelf if not too pricey

As far as getting the roof off, it is indeed a two man job, but while in france I had a garage with a huge beam running across the ceiling. I bought a cycle hoist like this:

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect....MI0cixv8jh2gIVSrvtCh0DKgdoEAQYAiABEgJcaPD_BwE

I drilled out all the pulley hubs and replaced them with hardened steel bolts. Replaced the cord and used it to hoist the roof off high enough to drive away and leave it hanging.

Worked fine.

Can help with details if you need.

Fantastic thank you!
I will get a load of reference pics when I am in Ibiza end of May.

Pulley system sound great. The car is in a communal garage so wont be able to install your ingenious hoist...

So how come Ibiza?

Do you live and work out there in the Summer or something? :think:

I've been 4 or 5 times in my younger days. Had some amazing holidays there. :banana-angel:

So how come Ibiza?

Do you live and work out there in the Summer or something? :think:

I've been 4 or 5 times in my younger days. Had some amazing holidays there. :banana-angel:
Hi Ben.
I have a home there and have a car habit and wanted something fun and appropriate to use and improve/tinker with!
It is perfect for a topless LC!

Reactions: Ben
yeah. that rear light cluster houses only reversing light and fog light. rear lights indicators and brake lights are in the bumper

engine looks clean

nice

yeah. that rear light cluster houses only reversing light and fog light. rear lights indicators and brake lights are in the bumper

engine looks clean

nice
Thanks Dan. Really helpful sorry to keep asking these questions. It is all very clean just a bit of a clean up cut and polish and the LC came to life. I am getting a load of spares together to take over this month. I will get a load of pics for reference. I have bought a clutch from Milners Exedy one they put together for the BJ73.

Not sure I'd bother. I might have a couple lying around. I'll look. They're really brittle and I've broken loads. Maybe look for a soft rubber bung the same size. I could never be arsed.

Not sure I'd bother. I might have a couple lying around. I'll look. They're really brittle and I've broken loads. Maybe look for a soft rubber bung the same size. I could never be arsed.
Thank you Dan. That would be great if you stumble across any. I am sure they are rubbish.
Are you in France or S. Wales?

Back