Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VSC and ABS warning light won’t go out- intermittently

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
Can anyone help? Occasionally when starting up after a while some warning lights won’t go off. They are the VSC lights ( so also light showing VSC off) and ABS light. The lights stay on but then when I stop after a while and restart after a delay then all fine. Happened a few times now and can’t think why? All I’ve done recently is change tyres to 70 as opposed to 65 profile. Also Samsung led sidelights and fog bulbs. Any ideas?

It would be worth getting the fault codes read, may be worth making sure the tyre pressures are all the same psi,
May be an abs sensor.
Tyre size shouldn’t make any difference as long as all four wheels have the same rolling circumference.

Thanks for this. Tyre pressures all the same. Have been experimenting with different pressures fir the new Cooper Discover AT3 4S in order to find most comfortable. But I’ve been keeping all 4 tyres at same pressure so that’s not likely to be the issue. MrT a good 45 mins away so it may be a trip there fir a diagnostic if it persists- no doubt at some cost! Any other ideas pending a read out?

Have you disturbed the wires to the ABS sensors when doing anything ? it maybe a bad connection or joint ?
The wiring looms get brittle with age and don't like being pulled about ...
As mentioned you really need to know what error the vehicle is recording to point you in the right direction.... a good independent garage should be able to read the stored codes for you .

Thanks fir this - I’ll have to get the diagnostic done somewhere. I had the impression though that most independent garages couldn’t read Toyota. What is puzzling is that the lights come in sometimes on initial start up after standing. Once I stop after a few miles and restart then all is well. Trawling the web throws up everything from a fuel cap not right enough through abs sensor to injectors needing replacing! Bit like reading a do it yourself medic and finding that cause of a nosebleed could be anything between a scratch and something nasty and fatal! Thanks

Does the check engine light come on as well? I think that normally comes on for stored codes.

Where are you based, maybe someone nearby can read the codes for you or lend you a reader.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Karl. No, the engine check light doesn’t come on just abs and the various VSC lights. I’m in Wells Somerset.

Intermittent fault continues. Once done a few miles the warning lights go out. So hit a local garage I know to do a diagnostic today - not much money unlike Mr Toyo. The error it threw up was the front left speed sensor. What and where is that? Is that the same as an abs sensor? Either way where is the best place to get a replacement? Mechanic reckons no more than an hour to replace it. Thanks

Yep I think that's the abs sensor. I say that because it's saying front left and there's an abs sensor on each wheel. That should be easy to replace.

There are two other speed sensors on the transfer case I think - but they wouldn't give a position like front left!

Do you know the exact code it threw up?

You can see where it is on this pic. You probably dont even need to jack the car up! One bolt, one connection.

Make sure you buy the left hand side one, as right side is a mirror image of it!

I bought a couple on ebay when I thought I needed them, they were only cheap.

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20210407-180320.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20210407-180320.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Karl. If it only one bolt I wonder if it’s worth spraying the bolt area with plus gas and having a go at it myself rather than pay £50 to the garage in labour Just checked and front L abs sensor ( aftermarket) from Roughyrax about £50. Suppose no point in removing it and just cleaning it?! Thanks

Depends how handy you are with these things but it should be a very simple job with good easy access! If you feel confident save yourself 50 quid - what's the worst that can happen - you end up paying em 50 quid to do it!

Might be worth cleaning it and make sure you clean the connections too - could also be a dodgy/broken wire to it rather than the sensor so have a look at the condition of it all while you're down there!

Well, I’ve ordered an aftermarket one from Roughtrax - £50. However I’ve just noticed that the Milner Off-road one is only £18. Wondering why such a difference in price ? I could get a new harness for it as well from Milner and still have some change! Any thoughts as I can always send the Roughtrax one back?

I trust Roughtrax parts.... different quality of aftermarket parts ?

I took the radiator out of a tractor 4 times today because I used a new cheap aftermarket thermostat housing that proved to be porous because the dealer had one in stock and the genuine one would be next day .... Unless it comes from a trusted source I rarely use non genuine parts for either customers or on my own kit .

Thanks for that. That’s pretty much what I supposed. The Roughtrax sensor is described by them as superb quality. The aftermarket stuff I’ve had from them in the past has been top notch which was why I ordered from them. So stick with what I’ve ordered. I

Anyone suggest the best tool for taking out the Allen key bolt that holds the front L abs sensor on. I’ve tried all of my many Allen keys and and socket hex bits. But 4mm too small and 5mm too big. That suggests 4.5mm. But can’t seem to find any hex bits that size. All I can come up with is a long 4.5mm Allen key- but expensive for a one off and I wouldn’t use an Allen key out of preference. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks

Just checked on mine and a 5mm fits. Consider persuading it with a hammer if it doesn't fit! You'll need better than an ikea allen key, socket set is your best bet!

Thanks Karl. Common sense was telling me it ought to be a 5mm rather than an impossible to find 4.5. So just went under and had a really good look with an inspection lamp. Someone has rounded it good and proper! So pretty fed up with the one careful previous owner malarkey given that the rear trailing arm was just tied up to its mount- or what was left of the mount. Left wondering what else is waiting to be discovered. So at a loss to knowwhat to do now. Think Id better book it in to local garage in case they can get it out with a mole wrench. Failing that it is drilling but it’s an awkward angle for them to get a bit straight. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Depending on your available tools a TX star bit can often be gently hammered into the allen key and will bite enough to undo it.... the action of hammering the bit in often helps shock and loosen the bolt...
Makes you wonder if they tried to change the sensor before as ABS sensors are normally very reliable and not something you often have to disturb

Back