Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: 80 series Amazon

The plan is to drive from Cape Town to Calcutta :) Was going to add a thread to the Trips Forum about it once I'd found the truck to do it in.

There you go then Ginger no turbo makes it virtually indestructible and auto means the gearbox hasn't been thrashed , speak to Julian V at overland cruisers send him a link to the truck asking what he would charge to service it , he won't send you off on a trip unless he's sure the truck will see you through :thumbup:

Ginger TOR has another GS cruiser with 133k at £8750 advertised Tel 07933109950 or [email protected] (not me guv) just noticed it Feb edition.

I phoned my insurers (axa) this morning to see if they would shed some light on the whole catc thing . No problem they said if I swapped my policy for a cat c of the same model and year then there would be no extra charge apart from the usual admin fee . The girl did repeat more times than I could count "just remember to tell us its a cat c so we can note it" . :think: so in an attempt to dig a bit deeper I asked why that mattered if it didn't alter the policy which got vague non committal replies . Something amiss here me thinks so I put it to her that if insurance would pay 5 grand to repair a 10 grand car how much would they pay to repair the same car if it was already recorded as a cat c , which got something like errr ..... eh.... I don't ..... umm ..... and finally you would have to talk to our claims department about that .

For me that indicates cat c is fine as long as your happy to go with third party only insurance .

You may be right Shayne, but remember, insurance is about risk. The company taking that risk is the primary judge of the risk it takes on and it needs a minimum amount of info upon which that risk is taken, the CatC issue could be no more than a tick in a box as far as the standard format info sheet goes.

It would be better to talk to one of their claims assessors, to get their take on it, you may be surprised.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What is likely is that if they are happy to accept it on cover, you will have whatever cover you paid for, however in the event of a total loss the valuation will be marked down accordingly. For example - Cat C cars are 15-25% below book on average. Cat D cars are about 10-15% below. But you must declare is has been a previous total loss to ensure it is something they would actually insure to start with.

And if you don't tell them its been written off before you get nothing . If your percentages are right Jonny that makes the truck that started this convo a 10 grand vehicle - and the underside hadn't even been treated when I spoke to him .

Figures are not a million miles away, I will say though on a 15/20 yr old vehicle I would say no more than 10% price differential as the condition of it is far more important than being written off 10+ years ago. Equally, a two year old car I would expect to be right at the max differential ie 25% for cat c.
Off topic but relevant to the immediately past discussion (so not really a hijack), look at this picture:-
2896_6.jpg

Insurance company paid out £4k as a total loss on this. I have a bonnet and bumper on their way in body colour for less than £250 and the car will be 100% straight, for just over half what was paid out. Absolutely mental.

As I've said on another thread shayne I've never had an issue with a cat c and insurance, even repaired one that someone drove into with no hassle. I thought it would be a write off again!

Having spent the past couple of weeks zigzagging across the country test driving, getting all up under the hood of and laying flat out under numerous LCs, I sadly don't appear to be all that much closer to actually getting one yet :( On the plus side, they haven't all been doozies and I have been able to check out some new parts of the country from an elevated perspective :) Still have a few more on the list but am open to further suggestions...

I honestly thought the K2 was just a decal sticker you buy , I've searched google and the only passing reference I can find to the K2 is the one you have pictured on your ebay add . I'm curious to know what makes the K2 different to any other kzj90 ? sunroof and front diff locker are about the only things I can think of that Toyota could add to my truck in order to up the spec , does it have either of these things or did Toyota just put different wheels on and call it special ?

That white one looks pretty tidy Shayne.

The K2 is real. It's not much of a special edition really but it was a factory release. It certainly wasn't a decal that you could simply buy. It wasn't a 'model' it was an 'edition' Closest std spec was, IIRC, the FX.

I phoned my insurers (axa) this morning to see if they would shed some light on the whole catc thing . No problem they said if I swapped my policy for a cat c of the same model and year then there would be no extra charge apart from the usual admin fee . The girl did repeat more times than I could count "just remember to tell us its a cat c so we can note it" . :think: so in an attempt to dig a bit deeper I asked why that mattered if it didn't alter the policy which got vague non committal replies . Something amiss here me thinks so I put it to her that if insurance would pay 5 grand to repair a 10 grand car how much would they pay to repair the same car if it was already recorded as a cat c , which got something like errr ..... eh.... I don't ..... umm ..... and finally you would have to talk to our claims department about that .

For me that indicates cat c is fine as long as your happy to go with third party only insurance .

I bought an RS turbo back in the day, i was 19 and pretty green. i never hpi'd the car. 10 months later the car was stolen from lakeside shopping centre. i had spent a lot of money on it with stainless exhaust etc etc. it was never found and during the process of the claim the insurance co. kindly told me it had previously been a cat D stolen recovered. so the end result was, the cars value was about 3k they knocked off £500 less my £500 excess so i ended up with 2K. and now i always hpi the car before purchasing.

Hi I don't really know what make it so different mate but yes it has sunroof electric windows diff lock I was just wundering if any one knows the value thanks

A front diff lock would make it very rare indeed but I imagine yours has centre and rear same as all UK manual swb trucks so price wise I'd say your main advantage is your relatively low mileage . There's a D4D swb 90 been up for sale for a while at £4500 which is about the most expensive I've seen (and I've spent a lot of time searching for one in the past month) . It has the newer engine but also has 150k on the clock and obviously its not selling so that should give you something to compare against .

I'm lost, where did anyone say that it DOES have a FRONT locker?

If you trawl through the EPC you will see that there actually is a factory front locker for the 90 series. I have never seen one, but it is there. Be neat to get hold of a crate of those.

Its between the lines Chris I asked if it had a FRONT locker and he replied yeah it has a locker and sunroof ...................

Back