Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted. Trailer Overland type

I don't know either. But from what I understand I would have to get through IVA... yes in the old days anything went. I don't think customs would care, not sure how they check either, only if I was stopped. I couldn't register the FJ until I had IVA but trailers aren't registered so don't know how they check...why I ask

I imported a Landcruiser from outside the UK and the EU. I had to pay VAT and get it MOT'd. But there was nothing really as far as the DVLA were concerned and I had no issue getting a log book and registration. Didn't have to go through IVA. I don't see how a trailer would be considered a vehicle. Given the lack of other responses so far, I'm guessing there aren't many who have tried this. Scott brought his 105 in from Oz.

IVA applies to vehicles under 10yrs, over that then yes it is just MoT. I had to have the IVA cert to be able to register the FJ. I'm not sure when IVA rules came in for trailers but they apply to all trailers now which are home built, one off built or imported.

IVA details are on my V5. Obviously this isn't the case for a trailer as no V5Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 15.17.32.png

Agree with Chris.. We have boat trailers at the Marina from all over the world, that folk have somehow got hold of.. All kinds of brake set up some Hydraulic /Electric .. As long as its got lights and looks tidy, and like Chris said, Got a compatible No plate No one gives a Hoot... when VOSA decide that trailers need a relevant MOT like in most countries things im sure would change.. But until then !!! Id get what ever you fancy. Changing the hitch to 50mm or ring or Euro is not a big job... You can buy Blank ID trailer plates off ebay for a fiver... even genuine ifor williams...

Last edited:
Well maybe I'm just being too cautious... no one bats an eye at the mods on the FJ...just a passing 'it's foreign' so yes maybe I just tow one and see.

Had a bit of a dig around in there and it does seem as though for small, non goods trailers it's hardly an arduous test. But I certainly didn't know that after 2012 trailers needed to go through this. I have to say that if I built a small one off trailer myself, not built on an existing trailer, I just wouldn't bother. Id' say that in terms of getting it here into the country, it would be straight forward. it's the decision to then IVA it that starts to raise questions over things like hitches I guess.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well maybe I'm just being too cautious... no one bats an eye at the mods on the FJ...just a passing 'it's foreign' so yes maybe I just tow one and see.
If yo do get a trailer from Europe and can get it sent to Dover.. I can collect and store it for you until its Best for you to collect Im only ten mins from Dover... Free of charge,, Just helping out another member:thumbup:

Thanks for the offer. At the moment I'm looking in Australia, lots in South Africa but I have a contact who will ship it in Australia, it would come freight, if I find one in Europe I'll probably go and get it but your offer gives me another option

My Australian trailer was imported privately by its original owner in 2006 and still had its Queensland chassis plate on it when I sold it. (Over there I think they have separate reg numbers and plates for trailers.) There was no paperwork with it when I bought it - as far as I was concerned it was no different from buying a tip trailer off Gumtree.

Thanks Jacob100 I'm kinda working on those assumptions/facts even if I buy a newer one. Yes the Australians have registrations for their trailers, as do the Americans.

My trailer was ex US army M416 about 1976 had the towbar extended about 18 inches with a 3.5 tonne towing eye 360 swivle the axle was replaced with a new one the same track as the truck complete with cruiser stud pattern so i could use the same wheels as the hundred had bigger mudguards made and a top so its now water and dust tight and if it gets really wet it will float if you find a decent enough trailer you could go to you local trailer stockist or manufactuer they should be able to source you an axle with a stud pattern to suit Froggy Steve has done a good build give him a message as his has list of mods as mine is just a tub on wheels if you have a look on the surplus sites you may find a good base to start good luck with your search

Not sure Yota is planning on building one. I decided against it in the end as it was just too much work.

That's why my build starts .... Thought I'd build one, then thought **** it, I'll buy one.

I have the skill and tools but simply cannot achieve the finish. If I had a great big workshop maybe. But working the garage balancing on the freezer, no chance.

Well you're ahead of me... you've got a garage... This trailer might be home for a while so I have resigned myself to possibly spending a lot more than I had originally planned to get something right.

All i have is a Seally pop up garage in the garden good piece kit had the trailer sand blasted done a bit of welding rust treated the bad bits two coats of red oxide two coats of rust buster topcoat stripped down the springs rust treated painted in chassis black greased and put back together the ally mud guards and top were mad for me got to get some light pods made at local metal shop got lots to do to it yet but as with most things the good stuff costs so do a little at a time

I bought it off a 90 year old man who said his grandad built it :confusion-shrug:

Back