Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weak points on an 80 series

I have mentioned this before about euro prices. 15,000 euros will get you a 1990 basic model in excellent condition but no lockers. Given it has a FSH, and owned by the FD bodes well for long term ownership.

Rust, look EVERYWHERE, the 80 has been around long enough to start turning to red powder, mechanicals can be repaired with minimal to moderate skills.

If you plan to keep it and I mean keep it very long term then it will become an investment, if it is going to drop into the routine of a daily driver and get beaten up at the weekend then it is priced too high.

You mentioned the 100 series, if you are looking for a daily driver then the 100 will be fine even more comfortable but, there is a very good reason why decent 80's fetch higher prices than decent 100's.........they are a better cars.

(Dave reaches for the Nomex underwear). :D

regards

Dave

The good thing about the white one, is no overarches. It seems to me that they promote rust.

Mine had never had them till I fitted them, and I had no rust at all on the arches at 11 years old.

I don't know why the rear quarters rotted on mine, but it seems a common place for all 80s to go, drain points blocked I guess.

I don't know the hundee, but the photos I've seen on utterly rusted trucks half the age of mine, don't give me a good impression.

Ok, they may have IFS (but that's not such a good thing in my book) and ride height adjustable suspension (what for I'm not sure, and just something else to go wrong at about 10 years old) computerized this and that (all things that make servicing an older truck more difficult/impossible) yes, the benefits of a hundee over an 80 seem to be endless....

IMO the rears rust out because of damp in the lower rear corners. Mine I believe is because the sliding windows leak.

I have used black RTV sealant around the frames and now they stay dry.

Regards

Dave

Hi Balsan,
Having spent a good deal of time hunting 80 series here on mainland Europe, I'm with the consensus that 24k is too much. That's a DX or 'barn door' model, and although it's a lower spec than the GX or VX, it's rare - especially in that condition, which may explain the price tag. It might give you a slight weight advantage but if you're looking for a tourer, the GX/VX models offer more comfort. In all cases, you're likely to need a front axle re-build at least. The Belgian one GeekOKent posted is the cheapest LHD 80 series I've ever seen outside the US - and if you don't buy it, I will:)

Also - I suspect no aircon in the DX. I didn't fancy driving across the Sahara with my windows open, so that would have been a deal-breaker for me. Suspension, regardless of condition, everyone tends to replace with one of a handful of aftermarket options. Rust - take a torch with you and really check the quarter panels. Manual windows are a blessing - will save you some grief.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good points from Guy, mine is a GX, so basic though it is, I do have AC and leccy windows.

Back