Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weatherstrip replacement

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys I’ve got a set of 6 weatherstrips to replace that I bought some years ago but didn’t have them to hand when getting the car resprayed that I’m wanting to change now.

These consist of all 4 side doors and the 2 rear single glass panels.

My question is how easy is it to change over and what’s involved?

Any help appreciated pointing me in the right direction. Thanks

I’ve done these Dervis. Toyota list the door ones as ‘scraper mouldings’ for anyone interested.
The doors have one screw each then a load of clips that which will pull out with the strip. Most of these clips will break. Then it’s just a case of refitting the new one. The front doors have the added complication of sliding in under the mirror but it’s pretty straightforward. The rear window mouldings clip vertically downwards into holes, again the clips break

I’ve done these Dervis. Toyota list the door ones as ‘scraper mouldings’ for anyone interested.
The doors have one screw each then a load of clips that which will pull out with the strip. Most of these clips will break. Then it’s just a case of refitting the new one. The front doors have the added complication of sliding in under the mirror but it’s pretty straightforward. The rear window mouldings clip vertically downwards into holes, again the clips break

Hi Richard.....thanks for the insight.Just to be clear does door card has to come off and then the glass too?

As for the rear side panel I don't have to take the glass out?

I wanted to know the amount of work before to allocate enough time to start and finish.

Last edited:
Hi Dervis - it's a quick, easy job.

No need to remove door cards or glass, for sure. I vaguely remember having to unbolt the wing-mirrors from the inside (in which case have silicone on hand to re-seal after) but I was doing a couple of other things at the same time, so not certain if it was for the weather strips.

They're a little tricky to locate properly. They want to tilt away from you, and won't 'click' in if they do, so just be sure the outer face is on a vertical plane when you press them down.

As said, not a long job, no card no glass, just wind the window down. Getting the rear ones off may involve sliding them or using a plastic pry tool to pop the clips, just be careful and protect your paintwork.

Two of mine need replacing too. Where did you buy them? Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Dervis - it's a quick, easy job.

No need to remove door cards or glass, for sure. I vaguely remember having to unbolt the wing-mirrors from the inside (in which case have silicone on hand to re-seal after) but I was doing a couple of other things at the same time, so not certain if it was for the weather strips.

They're a little tricky to locate properly. They want to tilt away from you, and won't 'click' in if they do, so just be sure the outer face is on a vertical plane when you press them down.

Thanks Guy I kinda worked it out for the doors. Yes the front doors need the mirror to come lose then easy their on out.

The rear quarters were another story but after bending it to take off worked out to slide them off towards the rear door whilst having the door open in order to replace.

Kinda easy once you m know what your doing.

Have the one rear and front door left know as I run outta time.

Thanks

Last edited:
Two of mine need replacing too. Where did you buy them? Thanks

Hi bought them used from Garry breaker with some other needed items. Bought all six in black as to mine being chrome. I changed them now because whilst the car was resprayed the black paint on the chrome was peeling off.

Unfortunately buying used is always a hit and miss. The door strips werent too bad but the rear quarters were missing the ends so had to change them over plus kinda not perfect with broken / chipped sides.

I would recommend partsouq or amayama as I can’t remember which I looked at before to get a price but I seem to remember they were pretty cheap so worth buying new.

Thanks

Hi bought them used from Garry breaker with some other needed items. Bought all six in black as to mine being chrome. I changed them now because whilst the car was resprayed the black paint on the chrome was peeling off.

Unfortunately buying used is always a hit and miss. The door strips werent too bad but the rear quarters were missing the ends so had to change them over plus kinda not perfect with broken / chipped sides.

I would recommend partsouq or amayama as I can’t remember which I looked at before to get a price but I seem to remember they were pretty cheap so worth buying new.

Thanks
Great many thanks Dervis

Bought mine new from Amayama for I think £150 or so all in. Don’t think I paid ID on them either. Don’t bother with used as the clips break. Part numbers for black (rubberised coated)
Front R 75720-60020

Front L 75710-60020

Rear R 75730-60020

Rear L 75740-60020

Rear window R 75660-60020

Rear window L 75670-60020

Bought mine new from Amayama for I think £150 or so all in. Don’t think I paid ID on them either. Don’t bother with used as the clips break. Part numbers for black (rubberised coated)
Front R 75720-60020

Front L 75710-60020

Rear R 75730-60020

Rear L 75740-60020

Rear window R 75660-60020

Rear window L 75670-60020
Excellent. Was just browsing the two sites. This is really helpful. Thanks SC

Alas the guy who painted my truck had to revisit some areas nearby and got paint on my new mouldings. :angry-screaming:

Alas the guy who painted my truck had to revisit some areas nearby and got paint on my new mouldings. :angry-screaming:

SC do you have a guy you can recommend near you? I am near Portsmouth. Thanks

Sorry I meant a paint / respray guy near you ?

The ones I can recommend are Dukes Motors in Middleton. However I’ve had a recommendation of a chap in Angmering I really should have gone with. Dukes will be right no question but aren’t cheap. I’ve no experience of the other chap but he did come highly recommended.
Let me know and I can PM you contact. Dukes has a website.

The ones I can recommend are Dukes Motors in Middleton. However I’ve had a recommendation of a chap in Angmering I really should have gone with. Dukes will be right no question but aren’t cheap. I’ve no experience of the other chap but he did come highly recommended.
Let me know and I can PM you contact. Dukes has a website.

Yes that would be great. Thanks

Back