Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Well there's something I didn't know!!

moggy1968

From the Ozzie 60 forum, apparently if you stall going forwards, and let the vehicle roll back, or vice versa, you can end up with the engine running backwards!! ONe of the guys did it and found he had exhaust smoke coming out of his snorkel!!

Back in the ‘70s, in a Commer Bantam flatbed I used to drive, they used to have a ‘choke’ to pull, to shut the engine off, and if you didn't hold it out long enough, the engine would catch again as you released it. One time I did this, and as it caught, it kicked the engine to rotate the other way. It only ever happened once to me, but it can happen.

I would have thought Mr T would have come up with a device to stop that...

Last edited:
I'd never heard of it. A quick google and its all over the place!

apparently they run fine other than no oil pressure or filtration :icon-confused:

I think that some of the huge diesels in ships are designed to run both ways, no gearbox.

I used to work next door to a diesel mechanic. One day he had one of the small pedestrian road rollers in that was running backwards. He had ordered all new timing gear for it. My boss at the time saw him and recounted a tale about being tow started in reverse when he was a nipper and knew no better than to put it in third. I remember he wasn’t best pleased when he realised it had simply been supplied with the wrong starting handle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It won’t run for long, the edic will cut it out, if the edic has been bypassed the air filter will ignite and burn your truck to a crisp! I’ve got a copy of a Toyota warning about it at home I’ll post later if I remember. Applies to all 2h engines.
My grandad knocked all his teeth out with a starting handle when the lorry he was starting fired up backwards!

It won’t run for long, the edic will cut it out, if the edic has been bypassed the air filter will ignite and burn your truck to a crisp! I’ve got a copy of a Toyota warning about it at home I’ll post later if I remember. Applies to all 2h engines.
My grandad knocked all his teeth out with a starting handle when the lorry he was starting fired up backwards!

OUCH....

I can't unsee the image in my mind of a starting handle being driven backwards with someone in the way... :doh::icon-surprised:

This rings a bell f0r me but the memory has gone , must guess having spent years around boats many running 30 or 40 year old Gardner engines and the like somebody somewhere along the way had to buy a new engine because of it ?

Amazing. So what’s the fix if it happens? If you turn off the engine and then start it again does it correct itself?

Amazing. So what’s the fix if it happens? If you turn off the engine and then start it again does it correct itself?

The old bantam used to be ok, we used to stall it then re-start.

Here it is
60 series safety bulletin, running backwards.jpg

I remember a small Dolphin marine engine (inboard 2s petrol that ran both ways. There was no gearbox so you had to shut it down put in reverse and then restart it. Was only 10hp mind..

That used to happen with my old Bantam too.

You’re talking BSA I guess Chas, I was meaning the old commer truck we used delivering Corona pop door to door.

Come to think of it I’m sure my old 175 BSA Bantam (bike) used to fire prematurely sometimes and run backwards as well :lol:

You’re talking BSA I guess Chas, I was meaning the old commer truck we used delivering Corona pop door to door.

Come to think of it I’m sure my old 175 BSA Bantam (bike) used to fire prematurely sometimes and run backwards as well :lol:
Yes Clive, mine was a BSA 175 too.

‘It’s frothy man’ :icon-cool:

Was that a Commer knocker 2 stroke?

Now hang on Rich, that was “Cresta” poor-mans pop, along with other imposters like “Alpine”... :? :lol:

I’m talking “Corona” the original high class door to door delivery service...:shifty:

B66867E0-D1E7-422A-A3A9-6D27277CAB5E.jpeg

I don’t actually know the engine in it Rich, could have been diesel, or petrol, 2 or 4 stroke... and I might be naming it wrong too.

I always thought it to be Commer Karrier, but here’s what it looked like only it was yellow...
(couldn’t find a Corona one though)

55557D66-8377-401B-8346-3D21C0A9B607.jpeg

and my memory is jumping between the Karrier flatbed we had and then a later (Commer?) sloping front walk-through cab flatbed thingy with a load-bed roof and roller curtains...

D3E0BD65-2302-403D-97B0-005E6F8541D6.jpeg

We also had Bedford TKs like this, but we only got to drive them at Christmas on the “big” Saturday before Christmas Day. They were mostly used for shop deliveries.

31C8706E-B3E8-49F6-B98C-D73CC0260F2B.jpeg

Can you imagine that the Karrier fully loaded had a pop retail value of only £50 :lol:

It was circa 1970 I suppose, but it took some work to sell a full load door to door.... and that was for £2.50 a day wages, good money in those days. Start at 8:00am finish at 8:00pm.

1s/4d a bottle, 7.5p after 1971... if you had an empty, that was, 6d deposit on a bottle...

Back