Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

went car shopping today..

Nice. Stuff the hi ab etc - stick a habitation box on the back and overland the sucker :)

Nice. Stuff the hi ab etc - stick a habitation box on the back and overland the sucker :)
The hiab would soon lift off the tipper body and plonk on the holiday home..;)

ill change use over to agricultural so no road tax or mot and very cheap insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt that restrict you to being only able to drive it within 15 miles of the registered farm/address? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"Not more than 1.5km on the public road between land occupied by the same person". Eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt that restrict you to being only able to drive it within 15 miles of the registered farm/address? :think:
Yes, but the world ends past 15 miles and me and the moggy would be in a eternal free fall of a dark and lonely abyss..

I know this isnt benz world, and most people may not be interested but ill do some updates with pics as I get to know the u140. I never give cars names..

first thing thats apparent. I will be using my 3/4" drive socket set a lot. There are also a lot of vary large alan key type bolts. Ill have to invest in a set of them.
im going through all of the oils,And servicing points. Most things have a grease nipple on them, including the cv joints and king pins. Which leads me to this.
20180216_164418.jpg

The lower bearing was completely siezed and turning on the king pin. Which in turn caused it to wear. So I had to loctite the race on.
20180217_102401.jpg

the needle bearing is the lower one and the strange looking one the top. You thought toyota were expensive...
20180216_164353.jpg

going back to the first two images. You can see that the axle is higher than the centre of the wheel. This is the portal axle, And gives greater ground clearence. The portal itself is a set of gears that run in hypoid oil. Not the moly thats in at the moment..

Love the idea of portals... but you've confirmed they're expensive to maintain...

FFS, now I want a Unimog again. Having watched the above video what's the costs of a set up like that? I'm thinking lottery win money, and 10mpg and 62mph surprised me somewhat!

Love the idea of portals... but you've confirmed they're expensive to maintain...
Completely avoidable clive, all for the sake of some grease..
The axle needs jacking up a little so the weight is taken off them, then the grease can be pumped in. This is often neglected, meaning they are starved of grease and seize..

Love the Mercedes commercial stuff. Grew up with Mercedes 306D's tubular chassis front wheel drive lwb and swb pickups! The blue swb was bought from a breakers yard for £300 and we absolutly overloaded it with slates, oak beams and bricks etc. Hell of a good little truck! We kept patching it up and used it for 10 years! Just could not kill it!

Great choice of vehicle Mike:thumbup:

FFS, now I want a Unimog again. Having watched the above video what's the costs of a set up like that? I'm thinking lottery win money, and 10mpg and 62mph surprised me somewhat!
Things can always be done on a budget. The u140 is classed as a medium duty moggy. Its no where near the cost of the bigger ones, its 4 cylinder engine is the same as the big sixes with 2 cylinders chopped off. Im hoping for a reasonable return, it will do 50 mph ok.
They are 7.5 ton gvw, heavy duty springs and your good for 9.
bolt a £600 caravan onto the chassis and see the world!

The spark plugs for my unimog were £60 ea 15 years ago......
X6 = exspensive service

Love the Mercedes commercial stuff. Grew up with Mercedes 306D's tubular chassis front wheel drive lwb and swb pickups! The blue swb was bought from a breakers yard for £300 and we absolutly overloaded it with slates, oak beams and bricks etc. Hell of a good little truck! We kept patching it up and used it for 10 years! Just could not kill it!

Great choice of vehicle Mike:thumbup:
Thanks mate, looking forward to working on it, gonna be a learning curve..

The spark plugs for my unimog were £60 ea 15 years ago......
X6 = exspensive service
The engine service parts so far are not too bad, its in a lot of things that engine.
I dont want to talk about the price of the kingpin bearings....

Back