Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

went car shopping today..

Ever get the feeling your on a bad run?

Went for a drive around the block, all good, then brake fluid warning light came on..
Got back to base and fluid was pissing out from the front left.

Corroded lines. Replaced with copper.
Yeah, that's right. Broken spring too.. :icon-rolleyes:
IMG_20210311_163014.jpg
IMG_20210312_095644.jpg

Alls well after a brew and cheese and ham toasties :thumbup:
IMG_20210312_133429.jpg

After bleeding all eight bleeding nipples brakes are great.

Springs on order..

Oooh, that copper brake pipe is a bit squidged . . . Will be OK though :whistle: .

It never ends, does it !

Bob.

Inner axle oil seal looks like it may be leaking ... ;-( the seal between the centre axle and the UJ ..... check it's not the hub breather though .
I looked at a 1200 the other day with similar oil leak and it was coming from the joint between the solid hub breather pipe and the flexy rubber hose where it joins onto the centre axle .....

Oooh, that copper brake pipe is a bit squidged . . . Will be OK though :whistle: .

It never ends, does it !

Bob.

yeah, i pushed it that bit too far. should be ok though. i always find those short, sharp bends a bit difficult. i also have this OCD thing with following the shape of the original as close as possible...

your not wrong there. im hoping one day it will, but i doubt it.

Can i have HP sauce on my toastie ?

sure! will be ready in about 30 seconds..

I had a radio bodied 404S. loved it, used to just sit in the cab and smell it!

i know exactly what you mean. done plenty of cab day dreaming myself.

Inner axle oil seal looks like it may be leaking ... ;-( the seal between the centre axle and the UJ ..... check it's not the hub breather though .
I looked at a 1200 the other day with similar oil leak and it was coming from the joint between the solid hub breather pipe and the flexy rubber hose where it joins onto the centre axle .....

correct. both of the metal breather pipes that screw into the portals are corroded and leaking. there on order with the other stuff.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Late last year I had my rear axle breather block up, couldn’t understand so much oil spray under the truck at the back, or where it was coming from.

10 minutes with my trusted service guys had it diagnosed and fixed with a new breather install, at no charge...

Couldnt argue with that now, could I?

no clive, i really wouldnt argue with that.. :)

New spring fitted.
25833.jpg

Old breather hard lines.
25834.jpg
25861.jpg

"modify as required" according to merc.

25862.jpg

25863.jpg

Accelerator pedal was a bit sloppy, replaced the worn bushes with new,
25865.jpg
25866.jpg
25864.jpg

Old and New air filters. Long over due replacing.
The thin one sits inside the not so thin one.
25868.jpg

back on the road now. got some jobs for her next week. then the turbo will be coming off for a rebuild before fitting the new exhaust.

Last edited:
1616623820946.png

That reminds me of some of the combine parts we used to get from the factory...... the original pipe would be 5/8 diameter and 4 m long and a complex series of bends in multiple axis and both 90 and 45 degrees ...
The "new" original part would be a 4 meter straight length of 5/8 zinc plated tube.... oh how we loved doing multiple mods and repairs involving miles of metal hyd pipe ;-)

I know I should Bob, but it'll have to wait a bit.
£400 each.

Kids and Mrs are getting hungry...

Wow - that's a Toyota price (I know, I have two Landcruisers :doh:).

I understand the problem.

Bob.

Back