Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

West Wales to Vernasca,Italy

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
A friend has just invited me to go with him to the "Vernasca Silver Flag " in Vernasca Italy.It looks like a great week/10 day trip.
My question is how long would you guys recon to allow for a 1200mile drive including the channel tunnel trip.
I was thinking of making it a 3 days down,3 days back but do you think 2 days would be comfortable or over doing it.
This is the event on youtube

http://www.vernascasilverflag.it/index.php?ID_menu=26&language=eng

You would do it in 2 very long days easy

Experience dictates Wales to Dover is a day trip all on its own and that 4 to 5 hour trip is usually more like 7 to 8 hours . On the other side of the channel 600 miles a day is no great challenge .

I would find a campsite in Belgium to sleep so you wake up on holiday having left the abysmal UK roads behind .

Looks like a good week out Matthew, some classic sports action and a tidy drive in the cruiser each side of it, little could be better!

Experience dictates Wales to Dover is a day trip all on its own and that 4 to 5 hour trip is usually more like 7 to 8 hours . On the other side of the channel 600 miles a day is no great challenge .

I would find a campsite in Belgium to sleep so you wake up on holiday having left the abysmal UK roads behind .
Thanks Shayne,I have most of my family in Kent and my experience is as you say a whole day just to Dover,but once on the other side the roads should make the rest of the trip a bit of a doddle.I like the idea of a camp somewhere a little south so all in all your thoughts sound good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We did a similar run a couple of years back to Italy, admittedly had to drive 50 miles and take a ferry before getting to West Wales! We covered it in 3 days.. day 1 - as far as Ashford, day 2 down to Mulhouse, day 3 through Switzerland and over to Lake Garda. Could have done it in 2, and regularly do Ireland to Nice/Perpignan in 2 days.

We did a similar run a couple of years back to Italy, admittedly had to drive 50 miles and take a ferry before getting to West Wales! We covered it in 3 days.. day 1 - as far as Ashford, day 2 down to Mulhouse, day 3 through Switzerland and over to Lake Garda. Could have done it in 2, and regularly do Ireland to Nice/Perpignan in 2 days.
Thank you Bob,Mulhouse looks like a good stop off point.Did you camp and if so can you recommend a decent site,cheers

Thank you Bob,Mulhouse looks like a good stop off point.Did you camp and if so can you recommend a decent site,cheers

It was a nice distance alright. To be honest we just stayed in a Campanile hotel, as our setup with a ground tent is a bit too much hassle for one night stop-overs.

Back